• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2019 at 7:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There was a "Red Cat" cover too with Mary Jane in leopard...tights..

Not in a position to post a pic, but it was on Facebook....

Face it, tiger, you picked the wrong cat.

25 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:
On 5/9/2019 at 9:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There was a "Red Cat" cover too with Mary Jane in leopard...tights..

Not in a position to post a pic, but it was on Facebook....

Face it, tiger, you picked the wrong cat.

Thanks for the correction lol

Leopards, tigers, and tights! :foryou:

OH my! George Takei 

6 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Are the CGC facilitators somehow required (by CGC policy or whatever) to state that they are such? I mean, can you have a facilitator that's "cool" and witnesses the signature without saying anything to the artist?

I'm guessing the creators have gone to CGC and explicitly stated that they require the special slip, otherwise they're not authorized to give a signature series label for their books.  I think there are some creators who explicitly don't allow their signatures to be graded at all.

So in my case, CGC asked my facilitator for the slip before accepting the books.  When he said he wasn't aware of the new policy, they sent him back to JSC's table to acquire one.

16 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Are the CGC facilitators somehow required (by CGC policy or whatever) to state that they are such? I mean, can you have a facilitator that's "cool" and witnesses the signature without saying anything to the artist?

No. It is explicitly spelled out in the CGC facilitator and witness agreements. CGC believes preserving creator relationships is paramount to their success.

10 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm guessing the creators have gone to CGC and explicitly stated that they require the special slip, otherwise they're not authorized to give a signature series label for their books.  I think there are some creators who explicitly don't allow their signatures to be graded at all.

Of course, that begs the question of why creators are in a position to dictate what others can do with their property to an uninvolved third party, but that is the path CGC has chosen for now.

"But creators can control their signatures however they want!!" some have complained.

That is correct...up until the moment they sign someone else's property. Once they have, that specific signature no longer belongs to them, and they are not in a position to dictate what happens to it.

If they don't want their signatures slabbed, the correct answer is to not sign at all, for anyone. That way, they maintain total control over their signature at all times. If they're going to sign someone else's property, they have no right to dictate what happens to that signature after it's been signed. 

40 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Missed out on this.

Anyone picked one up before? What was the haul like?

I've never bought one before, but I did get one today. I'm guessing that it won't be anything too crazy, and once I do get it I'll post some scans. 

1 minute ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I've never bought one before, but I did get one today. I'm guessing that it won't be anything too crazy, and once I do get it I'll post some scans. 

I’m awaiting 4 signed black cat covers from him, wonder whether they’d have combined the shipping to the UK