• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Ultra snuggle said:

Does anyone know which store or convention is doing this Black Cat 2 variant? It's a Superior Spider-Man re-color.  I see it being sold on comicxposure (but I don't think it's their exclusive) and eBay for a pretty high asking price...

1_1_-_2019-06-28T194335.767_grande.jpg

I'd be interested in this as well. I saw a shop selling a CGC 9.8 preorder, but too rich for my blood. 

Does anyone have any details on the Captain Marvel #7 SDCC Exclusive?  My buddy went in when the doors opened and said everyone was rushing to the Marvel booth and claims it was gone, but I find it hard to believe that all 3000 copies would be swooped up in the first half hour.  :\

1 hour ago, devald said:

my guess if it was like NYCC Return of Wolverine 1 JSC. The marvel booth ppl would hand you a ticket to comeback at a later time, and then you could line up. This way they didn't have huge lines or books selling out too quickly

Ugh, just confirmed with my friend, that was the case today.  He said tickets were gone soon after they opened the doors.  So basically he either tries again tomorrow or I end up paying whatever premium exhibitor's are charging since they seem to have 10+ copies already.  :(

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Ugh, just confirmed with my friend, that was the case today.  He said tickets were gone soon after they opened the doors.  So basically he either tries again tomorrow or I end up paying whatever premium exhibitor's are charging since they seem to have 10+ copies already.  :(

they'll most likely limit to two like the wolvie. And at NY they handed out tickets every 2 or so hours. and not all at once at the beginning. hope you get one... I'll probably get one off Ebay 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, ExNihilo said:

Had a friend there who said there were plenty yesterday afternoon when the got into the booth. Boxes of them.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, ygogolak said:

Had a friend there who said there were plenty yesterday afternoon when the got into the booth. Boxes of them.

Well, that sucks.  My friend was unfamiliar with the system and basically gave up.  Hopefully JSC sells them in his store.  That or eBay prices drop.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, ExNihilo said:

So I just got back from SDCC.  A couple things.  Last year I bought and graded his exclusives.  I bought them this year but said hell no to grading because I didn't want to pay an extra 200 for cgc fees, and then grading fees on top of that.  Also, they no longer require a witness since they put the books in a tamper free bag for cgc if you opt for that.  The second thing regarding the marvel booth...something really fishy was going on.  I went preview night, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and each time tix were gone.  I gave up for today.  And it wasn't sold out as of last night when I walked by.  But here's the thing, on Friday I was in the first block of people allowed to go down the escalator when the con started.  I was in a group of no more than 100-200 people and they all didn't go to marvel.  I arrived at the booth in less than 5 minutes of the floor opening and was told all the tix for the day were gone.  The issue is these are not being taken by the general public, but by the exhibitors at the con.  I saw a few stores and will not name them, that had stacks and stacks of these marvel exclusives.  They've since been sold for a nice premium.  I was highly dissapointed this year with regards to all things exclusives.  

9 hours ago, Drill423 said:

So I just got back from SDCC.  A couple things.  Last year I bought and graded his exclusives.  I bought them this year but said hell no to grading because I didn't want to pay an extra 200 for cgc fees, and then grading fees on top of that.  Also, they no longer require a witness since they put the books in a tamper free bag for cgc if you opt for that.  The second thing regarding the marvel booth...something really fishy was going on.  I went preview night, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and each time tix were gone.  I gave up for today.  And it wasn't sold out as of last night when I walked by.  But here's the thing, on Friday I was in the first block of people allowed to go down the escalator when the con started.  I was in a group of no more than 100-200 people and they all didn't go to marvel.  I arrived at the booth in less than 5 minutes of the floor opening and was told all the tix for the day were gone.  The issue is these are not being taken by the general public, but by the exhibitors at the con.  I saw a few stores and will not name them, that had stacks and stacks of these marvel exclusives.  They've since been sold for a nice premium.  I was highly dissapointed this year with regards to all things exclusives.  

That has been going on since they explosion of exclusives.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

That has been going on since they explosion of exclusives.

Oh no doubt, but last two years I didn't have these issues.  I was able to grab everything I wanted over the course of the con (minus the usuals like funky, etc).  

12 hours ago, Drill423 said:

That's disappointing to hear.  I had no intention of taking these to CGC after facing the same premiums last year but I still would have loved a raw copy.  I saw so many copies on eBay by Thursday for like $50-$60.  I should be saving my money anyways so I guess it's a good thing I wasn't able to get one.  (Same with Alex Ross' Immortal Hulk SDCC exclusive).

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

That's disappointing to hear.  I had no intention of taking these to CGC after facing the same premiums last year but I still would have loved a raw copy.  I saw so many copies on eBay by Thursday for like $50-$60.  I should be saving my money anyways so I guess it's a good thing I wasn't able to get one.  (Same with Alex Ross' Immortal Hulk SDCC exclusive).

I honestly expect the prices to come down a bit to closer to 30-35 in a few months time.  I’ll pick one up eventually.  

On 7/22/2019 at 12:36 PM, ExNihilo said:

FYI the ASM variants are still available on his site (they went on sale today at noon): https://jscottcampbell.com/collections/jsc-exclusive-covers/products/amazing-spider-man-14-j-scott-campbell-exclusive?variant=23490849603642

Black Cat variants sold out though. 

1 hour ago, Kon_Jelly said:

FYI the ASM variants are still available on his site (they went on sale today at noon): https://jscottcampbell.com/collections/jsc-exclusive-covers/products/amazing-spider-man-14-j-scott-campbell-exclusive?variant=23490849603642

Black Cat variants sold out though. 

I was looking for the SDCC Captain Marvel exclusives.  The price came down enough on eBay that I just bought one there.  It was like $30 plus shipping.  Not bad considering the retail at the Marvel booth was $25.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I was looking for the SDCC Captain Marvel exclusives.  The price came down enough on eBay that I just bought one there.  It was like $30 plus shipping.  Not bad considering the retail at the Marvel booth was $25.

Gotcha. I got an email that there will be signed copies on his site tomorrow at noon, but I'm guessing the price will be a bit higher than $30. 

More may be available at the Campbell site...

Or I got another email about it at 9pm central

Interesting their view on "exclusives"

The True Exclusive Seal means just that! A product sold EXCLUSIVELY on this store and nowhere else. Our comics sold by other retailers are considered aftermarket, just like eBay. Some of our competitors wholesale and share their “exclusives” with several other retailers, making it no longer a TRUE exclusive. We do not wholesale comics. It’s our belief that this practice drives down pricing and ultimately devalues the book, diminishing its long-term market value. Protect your investment: buy  TRUE Exclusives! 

9 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Gotcha. I got an email that there will be signed copies on his site tomorrow at noon, but I'm guessing the price will be a bit higher than $30. 

Yeah, I just saw that email.  I have no regrets about paying the eBay premium since I wanted an unsigned copy anyways.  I hate buying signed copies on his site simply because I prefer any signed books to be Signature Series.