• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2020 at 6:43 PM, ExNihilo said:

JSC: Here's my cover for Black Widow #1.

image.png.82affa5786b5107d832625c1f2e32159.png

Me: All his art is starting to look the same.  PASS!

JSC: Here's my cover for Black Widow #2.

image.png.3d494922fc9941487eca564ac10d0f38.png

Me: image.thumb.png.b726b23bb57e716f22c68ebf06103258.png

(for the record, I have a weakness for blondes.  I also like the contrast in the two pieces, both the fact that they're facing away from each other (b/c all he did was flip the art digitally) and more importantly, the color contrast.  Red and blue.  Black and White.  It's still lazy (as far as lazy can be concerning his work...still takes more effort that i'll ever put into it...you know what i mean), but I suddenly like it.)

JSC definitely been uppin' the creativity + stylistic elements of late.  Black Cat noir cover also comes to mind.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, Wheels38 said:

I actually prefer the first one. Red and black are my two favorite colors though so I might be biased! Hahaha

Not surprising considering science has shown black and red to be two of the most aggressive/intimidating colors.  I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with the cover to #1 if not for the fact that he routinely pumps out a lot of art for a certain red head   I think in this case, the two pieces displayed alongside each other are much more striking than the two individually.  Frankly, the biggest problem I have with issue #2 (asides from the feet) is that the color scheme reminds me more of Cloak and Dagger (blonde girl in a white suit with a black/blue background).

12 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Found these 3 books at a flea shop near my house, paid $3.50 for each of them! Best find I've seen at a flea market so far!

image1-2.jpeg

That is a very impressive find!! I will give you $7 for each of them. You could double your money ;) haha

15 hours ago, Wildstar7 said:

4 copies of the Ruby Red Smoking Gun  Danger Girl #2 on eBay right now... I’ve never seen that before.

It's a buyer's market right now. 

Funny how many sellers are calling their books "Ruby Red" when they are just variants of Danger Girl #2 Smoking Gun cover

figure with everyone sheltering, time to share some books 

the asm is a la mole variant and tough to find in grade. luckily the shop owners were at nycc in November and I was able to pick thru their copies for a nice one. just got it back from cgc

the black cat was a slab purchase from beachbum. my lcs wasnt able to get a copy so had to go online.

20200326_180855.thumb.jpg.85eea5a92791a6b6a5629cbb52f48bd5.jpg

One of the con exclusives that was being released online. Supposedly a 1K print run.
There are more exclusives coming out every week. Wish he would do them all at once so I can save on shipping!

IMG_20200326_110924.jpg

4 minutes ago, Avi said:

One of the con exclusives that was being released online. Supposedly a 1K print run.
There are more exclusives coming out every week. Wish he would do them all at once so I can save on shipping!

IMG_20200326_110924.jpg

Get yo kicks on post 666 (:

Screenshot_20200327-102322.png

On 3/27/2020 at 11:18 AM, Avi said:

I went to buy that one last week and accidentally bought cover A again instead. Was so mad because I used the discount code and couldn't use it again and felt like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Ended up passing on it, because I couldn't justify another purchase and another shipping charge. 

On 3/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, Avi said:

IMG_20200326_110924.jpg

I dislike this one. I prefer the cover B.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:09 PM, devald said:

figure with everyone sheltering, time to share some books 

the asm is a la mole variant and tough to find in grade. luckily the shop owners were at nycc in November and I was able to pick thru their copies for a nice one. just got it back from cgc

the black cat was a slab purchase from beachbum. my lcs wasnt able to get a copy so had to go online.

20200326_180855.thumb.jpg.85eea5a92791a6b6a5629cbb52f48bd5.jpg

I love the amazing Spiderman #9, but I have encountered feelings concerning the The Black Cat Strikes. I don't know if I like it or not.

I’ve been followIng Campbell’s work for 20 years now.  Am I the only one that is bored with it?  It’s always the same pinup/portrait cover and it’s incredibly average at that.  The same facial expressions, the same formulaic body positions.  There is absolutely zero narrative as the covers have virtually nothing to do with the story inside.  It’s all style and no substance.  

Maybe I’m way off but I guess I just want more from comic book art than a sexy pose.  :preach:

4 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I’ve been followIng Campbell’s work for 20 years now.  Am I the only one that is bored with it?  It’s always the same pinup/portrait cover and it’s incredibly average at that.  The same facial expressions, the same formulaic body positions.  There is absolutely zero narrative as the covers have virtually nothing to do with the story inside.  It’s all style and no substance.  

Maybe I’m way off but I guess I just want more from comic book art than a sexy pose.  :preach:

I mean you are right in that it is very samey, yet it looks like that a sexy pose is all people want, given how his covers are popular. Though of course they are not all created equal. some are definitely better than others.

7 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

I mean you are right in that it is very samey, yet it looks like that a sexy pose is all people want, given how his covers are popular. Though of course they are not all created equal. some are definitely better than others.

Agreed.