• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I’ve been followIng Campbell’s work for 20 years now.  Am I the only one that is bored with it?  It’s always the same pinup/portrait cover and it’s incredibly average at that.  The same facial expressions, the same formulaic body positions.  There is absolutely zero narrative as the covers have virtually nothing to do with the story inside.  It’s all style and no substance.  

Maybe I’m way off but I guess I just want more from comic book art than a sexy pose.  :preach:

Hey, given what is inside a lot of those covers, the empty sexy pose cover is a highlight 🙂

2 hours ago, Wheels38 said:

New mystery box coming on April 4th. Have you guys ever done that before? I feel like I have the worst luck when it comes to any games of chance so I might pass on it. 

I've done a couple of them. I've gotten some good books and some total duds. The good thing is that you can usually sell off the ones you don't want and make your money back anyway. 

Alright, I just grabbed a copy of this on eBay to complete my set.  Question is now, what do I do with this ungraded book?  Looks pristine, but the signature can't be verified on this beauty, can it?  If I can't get that yellow label I'm not sure it's worth it.  What say you, community?

Avengers - 8 - Campbell Cover.jpg

1 hour ago, Aaron Hicks said:

Alright, I just grabbed a copy of this on eBay to complete my set.  Question is now, what do I do with this ungraded book?  Looks pristine, but the signature can't be verified on this beauty, can it?  If I can't get that yellow label I'm not sure it's worth it.  What say you, community?

Only way to get it verified is a red label from Voldemort. Otherwise you'd get a qualified (green) label from CGC. 

I've always wondered, with these signatures, can't you just go to a con that the artist is at get a CGC representative and get the artist to confirm the signature is real. Even if you have to pay the signature fee and he just writes over the signature with an "invidisible" pen surely that should be good enough for a yellow label.

11 hours ago, Aaron Hicks said:

It is really up to you and your personal preference. If you are not planning on reselling it then I would say go for it if you want it graded. It will definitely be green but it will be protected. I waiver with this idea all the time but that is mostly because I am OCD and I have almost all blue and no green lol 

2 hours ago, IbukiLord said:

I've always wondered, with these signatures, can't you just go to a con that the artist is at get a CGC representative and get the artist to confirm the signature is real. Even if you have to pay the signature fee and he just writes over the signature with an "invidisible" pen surely that should be good enough for a yellow label.

So I have wondered this too. I did some research awhile ago on this site and basically figured out it is a money thing. CGC and the artist don't want to risk their reputation on a sig. Also if they can get you buy it again they would rather do that. I don't know how accurate that is but it does make sense even if it sucks for us. 

9 hours ago, Wheels38 said:

It is really up to you and your personal preference. If you are not planning on reselling it then I would say go for it if you want it graded. It will definitely be green but it will be protected. I waiver with this idea all the time but that is mostly because I am OCD and I have almost all blue and no green lol 

Like you, I am all yellow and blue.  I feel like if I visit his booth at a con we can figure something out; I think all copies of this book are signed to begin with.  

23 minutes ago, Aaron Hicks said:

Like you, I am all yellow and blue.  I feel like if I visit his booth at a con we can figure something out; I think all copies of this book are signed to begin with.  

50 copies were not. I believe Beachbum had the only unsigned copies for sale. Blue label did not make it more valuable sadly.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:30 AM, Wheels38 said:

New mystery box coming on April 4th. Have you guys ever done that before? I feel like I have the worst luck when it comes to any games of chance so I might pass on it. 

Got mine in today. Pretty much a dud IMO. 

13 hours ago, Wheels38 said:

Sorry to hear that :( I chickened out and didn't end up getting it... Anything you think you can sell at least? 

2 of them are ASM variants, so I can probably offload them pretty easily:

HZQMfOQ.jpg E7O8FVF.jpg

Also got an Amazing Mary Jane that I already had: 

krBd4ES.jpg 

The most disappointing ones for me were these two: 

WcDxi36.jpg 4ZnHHwY.jpg

I actually love the Black Cat cover, but it's just the retail cover with a signature on it. The Phoenix Resurrection is a duplicate from the last mystery box I did, with the signature appearing in just a slightly different place. 

This is the only one I received that I didn't already own:

93fGdVG.jpg 

Not a book I normally collect but I'll hold onto it for now. So if I can at least average $20 each for the other books I can break even on the whole thing.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:18 AM, Avi said:

One of the con exclusives that was being released online. Supposedly a 1K print run.
There are more exclusives coming out every week. Wish he would do them all at once so I can save on shipping!

IMG_20200326_110924.jpg

Man, I hate when sellers tape books into the mailers this way. If you're a seller and you do this, please stop

On 4/22/2020 at 7:42 PM, Avi said:

It's double bagged so it's really not a big deal to cut the tape and discard the bag. I actually prefer this to having the books bang around freely.

it's the tape at the spine that bothers me. Too easy to cause a crink there, and you have to be super-careful cutting it loose. You pretty much need a razor or exacto and the deft of a surgeon lol. Scissors are too dicey. Just don't do it. Sellers...if you must tape it down, do it anywhere BUT the spine side please. Overpackaging to the point where it's hard not to damage an item trying to remove it can be as or almost as bad as under-packaging

Edited by Oat Willy1