• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I don’t own anything by Campbell, but he definitely has some awesome and unique art!

Heart of it all is work work work, he seems to have some heart in it if I do say so myself..... glad to seem him still creative and thinking up new ideas....

On 1/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

I bought another mystery box that I opened on my YouTube channel, in case anyone is interested: 

How do you feel about the the overall value of these boxes?  I stopped buying his stuff about a year ago because the sets just started to get pricey.  $20 for cover A's and $60+ for cover C's became a bit much.  But I did think maybe I could buy a box every two years in the hope that they'd be full of more recent stuff that I may have passed on.  My biggest issue are the signed books.  I much prefer my signed books CGC graded in a yellow label, so having raw books like that would probably kick in my OCD.

Your haul looks pretty good though.  All Marvel/DC (another worry of mine is getting indy publishers which I don't collect much of).

22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

How do you feel about the the overall value of these boxes?  I stopped buying his stuff about a year ago because the sets just started to get pricey.  $20 for cover A's and $60+ for cover C's became a bit much.  But I did think maybe I could buy a box every two years in the hope that they'd be full of more recent stuff that I may have passed on.  My biggest issue are the signed books.  I much prefer my signed books CGC graded in a yellow label, so having raw books like that would probably kick in my OCD.

Your haul looks pretty good though.  All Marvel/DC (another worry of mine is getting indy publishers which I don't collect much of).

As long as you don't mind getting dupes the mystery boxes I think are a good value. There's very few books you could get that would sell for less than what they individually cost in the box. $100 w/ tax & shipping to get 6 books ends up at $16.67/book, and almost all of them you can get at least $20 for if you don't want to keep them. Signed ones even more. From that set I'll probably sell the following books (with their last raw sale on eBay): 

• Uncanny X-Men 12 Rogue Cover - $25
  • Wonder Woman 750 - $19
  • New Mutants Dead Souls Signed - $40
  • Harley Quinn Villain of the Year - $15

That's $99 which basically covers the cost of the whole box, so the ones that I would be keeping are essentially free. I also don't mind getting signed books mostly because I'm fine with sending those to Voldy. I've sold a few at a pretty nice profit and got others that I kept for myself. 

I think the only non-Marvel/DC book you could get would be a Danger Girl, but they're probably pretty rare in these boxes. 

it's surprisingly true

that raw campbell signed books tend to sell

I sold my X-men '92 #1 Psylocke covers....... granted the buyer paid more than I did, but after fee's "I" broke even.

Now How that translates to other's "experience's" not too sure, it is what it is. In the end it was decent enough for me to break even. lol I'm simple haha

2 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

New cover just announced:

KIB_Gwenom02_2021_A_1024px_w_2048x.jpg?v 

So it looks like MJ *will* be Carnage if this cover is any indication. 

Not saying it's good or bad, but if I was flipping through boxes and saw this I would not pause and say, "Oh, a JSC cover", like I do for just about everything else he does, even his very early indie stuff.

33 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Not saying it's good or bad, but if I was flipping through boxes and saw this I would not pause and say, "Oh, a JSC cover", like I do for just about everything else he does, even his very early indie stuff.

Just an opinion, but it's kind of like Newsstands  in a box. Hard to see the big ole Campbell insignia at the bottom.

Still well deserved yet it's fun to see that he has new things and inspiring ideas even from other creators to deal with..... and woo hoo nice too see the color pop!

I think the color was usually done by nia someone, she is really coool 

On 1/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, IbukiLord said:

The homage cover of this is fantastic, really great cover and interesting direction that Campbell went with. One I will try to add to the PC that's for sure.

I completely agree! I told myself yesterday, I was gonna take a break from buying Campbell stuff for a little but then he comes out with this set! If the price is right I will definitely try to add these to my stash. Then maybe I will take my break haha