• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

If J Scott Campbell is not in The Top 10 of artists currently producing published work in comics, I wonder who is better than him ?

Art is subjective, so I wouldn't presume to call anyone better than him, but It would definitely be hard to argue that he isn't one of the most popular artists working in comics today.

His resume is maybe missing one element of being a part of a creative team on a regular mainstream book much like Jim Lee on "Hush" for Batman, Neal Adams run on Green lantern/Green Arrow, John Byrne on Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, George Perez's New Teen Titans, etc. - something to be known for as a storyteller more than as a pin-up artist.

His work on Danger Girl has a cult like following and was a great adventure, but not mainstream popular, 'tho, I thought had the makings of something great. I thought I heard he was at one time going to work a monthly on Spider-Man with I think a legendary writer like Loeb. I think Spiider-Man is the perfect title for him to work on.

He's sort of like Adam Hughes, doing lots of covers, but remains one of the main reasons why some books sell.