• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

Wasn't worth the investment to me at $200 + shipping. If you're lucky, you can get $300 + shipping on the bay. Leaves you with $54 profit. $200 to POSSIBLY make $54 is not a wise investment, IMO.

I would like to think that Campbell hopes this happens with this sale and that more of these books get into collectors hands as opposed to flippers. However, at the end of the day, he gonna bank regardless.

Wasn't worth the investment to me at $200 + shipping. If you're lucky, you can get $300 + shipping on the bay. Leaves you with $54 profit. $200 to POSSIBLY make $54 is not a wise investment, IMO.

I would like to think that Campbell hopes this happens with this sale and that more of these books get into collectors hands as opposed to flippers. However, at the end of the day, he gonna bank regardless.

I think the majority of the customers who buy direct from Campbell are indeed the "flippers" who see it as an opportunity to get online and act fast to then turn around and sell them at a mark up after they've sold out.

It's the historical sales precedent and sales that the flippers do that actually keeps that part of the industry alive, so in a way, for Campbell's own economic interests, his books are better off going to the flippers than the fans first, then the "frenzy" to buy (laws of supply and demand) will continue and he can also continue to push the envelope from selling at $9.99 to $14.99 to $19.99 to $24.99 to $49.99, then as in the case of the Venom issue, go from $150 up to $200 and have it still sell out within the hour. That in-itself may have him ponder... sell 1/2 of the inventory first, then hold back the 2nd half and price it at market value or start remarking them and charging a grip of cash.

It's not exploitation or greed, it's simple business for both flippers and JSC. If the fans/collector's who want 'em stop buying and paying premiums, the laws of supply and demand may dictate a far different marketplace where short prints and variants cease to exist as they did not in the pre-Y2K era of collecting.

since everyone is talking about the new venom variant i figured i'd throw a question out. i've never actually submitted anything for grading so i'm wondering what my options are for the venom #3. i've noticed some JSC remarks getting SS labels and then another one up on the bay now has a qualified label. does the COA that he includes equal a SS label when submitted by myself or does it need to go through someone special?

That is correct. CGC does not accept COA, it has to be done by a CGC witness. There are other grading companies out there that will do verification service for that if you want. CGC does not do verification.

Yeah, that's what I had figured. I wonder if I could go to a show like c2e2, pay for a "signature" and have him hand over the comic to CGC. I wonder if had had offered some sort of CGC service for his remarks that he had sold on his website last year because I've only seen SS labels and 1 qualified.

From what I understand if there is no Cgc whiteness then a Coa doesn't mean anything. It will come back a green label. However if he offere cgc service after signeing then that is a different story. Hope this helps and I could be wrong.

I hear rumblings that the formerly dreaded Green Label where it applies to autographs is not so much a scarlet letter (or color) in some cases like this, where, truth be told, if a seller has good reputation, has that COA, and the autograph looks legitimate, it's an odds on favorite to be legitimate, so the Green Label is not a red flag for fraud with all of those considerations making it odds on favorite to be legitimate.

I'm not sure how prevalent forged autographs are within the comic industry aside from some deceased (Kirby), elusive (Ditko), or celebrity (Stan Lee) creators, most artists and writers are generally accessible and liberally sign. It feels, when I talk to LCS, autographed comics, even the ones they know are legitimate that they have from in-store signings, don't carry a premium, so the whole "signature series" doesn't necessarily add value nor prestige to some collectors.

So, with this JSC Venom, I think getting it graded, regardless of the label, and the public knowing of the way this was sold and distributed by the artist direct, I'm sure a green label with the COA (which I'm sure will have his hologram sticker on it) is as iron clad of substantiation as you can get for assurance it's a legitimate signed comic given the circumstances.

Yeah, that's what I had figured. I wonder if I could go to a show like c2e2, pay for a "signature" and have him hand over the comic to CGC. I wonder if had had offered some sort of CGC service for his remarks that he had sold on his website last year because I've only seen SS labels and 1 qualified.

When I attended SDCC last year, Campbell's booth had a number of signed books for sale. I spoke with Mike Balent and said that as long as I brought a CGC witness with me to the booth and purchased it in front of him, I was ok to get a Yellow Label. Mike mentioned that they have an agreement with Campbell's team at shows where his items are already pre-signed. That's my experience with both CGC and with Campbell's people.

When I attended SDCC last year, Campbell's booth had a number of signed books for sale. I spoke with Mike Balent and said that as long as I brought a CGC witness with me to the booth and purchased it in front of him, I was ok to get a Yellow Label. Mike mentioned that they have an agreement with Campbell's team at shows where his items are already pre-signed. That's my experience with both CGC and with Campbell's people.

but that would be very different than a random customer who out of nowhere brings up a signed book. Chain of custody and whatnot.

I think the majority of the customers who buy direct from Campbell are indeed the "flippers" who see it as an opportunity to get online and act fast to then turn around and sell them at a mark up after they've sold out.

It's the historical sales precedent and sales that the flippers do that actually keeps that part of the industry alive, so in a way, for Campbell's own economic interests, his books are better off going to the flippers than the fans first, then the "frenzy" to buy (laws of supply and demand) will continue and he can also continue to push the envelope from selling at $9.99 to $14.99 to $19.99 to $24.99 to $49.99, then as in the case of the Venom issue, go from $150 up to $200 and have it still sell out within the hour. That in-itself may have him ponder... sell 1/2 of the inventory first, then hold back the 2nd half and price it at market value or start remarking them and charging a grip of cash.

It's not exploitation or greed, it's simple business for both flippers and JSC. If the fans/collector's who want 'em stop buying and paying premiums, the laws of supply and demand may dictate a far different marketplace where short prints and variants cease to exist as they did not in the pre-Y2K era of collecting.

Easy to track. There are 5 for sale and two sold as of now. Estimated about 80-90 of them sold total. So less than 10% flippers. They have not shipped yet and I know many wait until they have it in hand.

Damn, I've been looking everywhere inquiring info on whether the signed Venom #3 I bought off Campbell's website would receive an SS label or not.

I guess not judging by all the responses on here. It's a real shame though... considering it's an official signature off of his website. One would think he would have a CGC rep there on the day of the signings just so they all qualify for SS....

I'm very dissapointed my Venom #3 won't be getting that gold label now...

Damn, I've been looking everywhere inquiring info on whether the signed Venom #3 I bought off Campbell's website would receive an SS label or not.

I guess not judging by all the responses on here. It's a real shame though... considering it's an official signature off of his website. One would think he would have a CGC rep there on the day of the signings just so they all qualify for SS....

I'm very dissapointed my Venom #3 won't be getting that gold label now...

Wttb

Looks like Superior Spider-man 20 is the big book lately. The last CGC 9.8 finished at $495 US and there is a Raw copy selling right now, and it is at $455 US with 5 hours left. This book has gradually climbed the past year, and rightfully so with one of Campbell's best covers.