• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I guess its possible that they updated the number before Gold went on sale. I remember seeing the number when I saw them on the site, but I dont remember looking on the day I bought them. It makes sense that they would both have a similar print run. If he really wanted to be shady, he could have just kept the extra books and sold them at his show booth. He would have sold them all and no one would ever know. I can't remember if his books are the same price at his booth as they are on the site.

11 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I guess its possible that they updated the number before Gold went on sale. I remember seeing the number when I saw them on the site, but I dont remember looking on the day I bought them. It makes sense that they would both have a similar print run. If he really wanted to be shady, he could have just kept the extra books and sold them at his show booth. He would have sold them all and no one would ever know. I can't remember if his books are the same price at his booth as they are on the site.

I remember about 10 minutes before they went on sale that they were taken off the website for about 5 minutes or so...I was refreshing the page that I'd saved from the previous night. Maybe it was taken down to update the print run just before they went on sale...

5 hours ago, Imagine13 said:

I can't find the JSC comment about this on twitter...did he delete it? If true this is upsetting, I spend a lot of money on his stuff - boy I hope there's a decent reason for this.

His comments in the past 12 hours alone are responding to people that are unhappy with the decision.

12 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

I called him out on it on twitter and he just said "feel free to cancel your order".

Yup, thanks JSC but you lost me as a loyal customer.

11 hours ago, isiTrue said:

What a tool.  It's amazing how quickly some people can burn their image and reputation with a few choice decisions.

Not having followed any of this, I must now withdraw my comment after reading his replies.  He didn't "just say" to cancel your order, Anfield.  Clearly, he tried to explain the situation to you before that.  

Could the whole mess have been handled differently?  Probably.

23 minutes ago, isiTrue said:

Not having followed any of this, I must now withdraw my comment after reading his replies.  He didn't "just say" to cancel your order, Anfield.  Clearly, he tried to explain the situation to you before that.  

Could the whole mess have been handled differently?  Probably.

No that was someone else. To me he said you can go ahead and cancel if you want. So i posted it here. Then i told him I'm not going to cancel, I buy it for the art but this damages his credibility.

10 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Noticed both Gold and Blue 3 sets are still available on the next day. Over saturation (9 covers in 1 month) or are people unhappy with the print increases, discount decrease and cover price increase?

Can't believe they are all still on sale. Probably a bit of both. I skipped them mainly because of the saturation 

1 minute ago, starlord86 said:

Can't believe they are all still on sale. Probably a bit of both. I skipped them mainly because of the saturation 

I was planning on getting the Blue, and decided to skip it based on the stealth print run increase on Gold.  Reconsidering getting CGC SS on a few incentive variants as well.

19 minutes ago, manetteska said:

People are surprised an artist releasing exclusive variants just about every-other week only through his own store is after money?

This is as shocking a revelation as a *insert professional* wanting to do more *professional work* for money. The nerve!

Thats not the point. You guys can see that he pissed a bunch of customers off. Thats the point. I dont think any of us begrudge him for putting out covers, charging for them and trying to make money. 

Now, he has some covers that aren't selling out like they were before. I think he just needs to be smarter and it will be a better long term solution. But, its his biz, so to each their own.

I dont know if anyone complained to him directly about it, but people did complain that he was releasing so many lately.

I dont agree that littering the market with art is a good thing. It depends on the quality. I think the quality of his work lately is a topic for debate. Some of it has been good and some of it has been mailed in. Its been discussed in this thread and others.

I think what irks me more than the upping of quantity is the fact that he's pricing them at $90 and dropping his discount code value when the retail price of the book is $5. I could *maybe* buy the increase with ASM 25 since it's a $10 book, but not this one. I'm glad I like his A and B covers more, because those go for way less than retail on Ebay a month after it's released.

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

I dont know if anyone complained to him directly about it, but people did complain that he was releasing so many lately.

I dont agree that littering the market with art is a good thing. It depends on the quality. I think the quality of his work lately is a topic for debate. Some of it has been good and some of it has been mailed in. Its been discussed in this thread and others.

One page back...

So to change topics, with secret empire coming out JSC will have a 1:50 variant for 1-5, this is an every other week miniseries. Do you think these are worth picking up at $100+ each as an investment?

Just now, Polirer said:

So to change topics, with secret empire coming out JSC will have a 1:50 variant for 1-5, this is an every other week miniseries. Do you think these are worth picking up at $100+ each as an investment?

Any pics of them out yet?

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, GaSouthernGrad said:

I agree that he is starting to be a little pricey.  I like the fact that there are multiple covers but I don't like how they are basically the same image with a different digital overlay.  It makes me feel a little cheated.

I smashed the "like" button so hard on this post it broke my mouselol

I always felt those "different" covers were a lazy approach at drawing.