• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, Califelix said:

J Scott's site has now changed to April 24th as the ship date for both X-Men Gold and Blue.  First they increased the print run then they change the shipping date (for reprint interior Gold?)...the shady way these books are being handled is really pushing me away from purchasing anymore from him....

I asked him on twitter & he said that the only cause for the delay in shipping was that it took a lot longer to get out the ASM 25 variant sets then expected. I had asked if there was a printing delay with my initial question, so I don't think the delay was due to waiting for a "fixed" reprinted interior portion.

I am not as worried re: print runs. He was hit and miss with posting them in the past for some of the other exclusives. It would also make sense to combine shipping on Gold and Blue if buyers are getting both. I wonder if he will provide us with a refund then?

The more I look at it, the more I like the Jean Grey #1 set, especially the Dark Phoenix cover. I like the progression of the character. 

Edited by kimik

7 hours ago, Insanity said:

are the La Mole variants worth just as much?

if you search for J. Scott Campbell La Mole variants! NM! on the bay thier selling a Wolverine #1 with a Deadpool #10 using a Seige 3 cover

For the record, I think those tend to be mis-listed. They are Mexican variants.

As a rule: No. They're not worth just as much. However you probably can sell them at a profit if the condition is good just because some people are wary of international sales due to fraud or long shipping times.

Autographed, SS, you might be able to get half the value of the original. Still nice. And they're cheap enough that you might be able to buy 5 raw copies and cross your fingers for a higher grade on one or two.

International reprints DO tend to appreciate nicely long term, particularly autographed. I'd say, for instance, that a new German or Mexican classic key issue reprint with, say, a Stan Lee sig (assuming it's a reprint of something he worked on) has long term prospects in the $500-1000 range. Whereas getting him to sign a first printing of something he didn't work on or a Ravage 2099 issue won't be worth his signing fee more often than not.

Without a sig, I'd say you might get up to $500 in the long term if it reprints something unattainable. With a sig, potentially up to $1000 if the wind blows the right way, probably long term. Short term, no sig? Maybe up to $150 at 9.8? That's foreign reprints in general. It's a bit different if it's a foreign market exclusive cover. I wouldn't bother importing foreign language books unless they're a reprint of a key issue or variant or a cover unique to that market with eye appeal.

18 hours ago, Tiger Topher said:

Anybody else have one of these sleeping bags? I picked mine up earlier this week for just a few bucks. I didn't need it, but I'll buy just about anything with Campbell art on it if the price is right.

IMG_8404.JPG

That's cool. I always loved that cover and wonder why it's not worth more than 5 dollars being how good it is.and campbell having done it. (Asm 491)

Does anyone know if the J Scott Campbell signed books through his roadshow booth at conventions are eligible for cgc signature series label? I didn't think they were, but i ask because I came across a few of his new x men gold and x men blue books signed and graded 9.8 on ebay...the signature date says 04/21/2017 which I believe would be at C2E2. I read on his facebook that he wasn't attending in person, so was curious to see the books up for sale, and if CGC honors his sigs sold through his own booth under the yellow label.  I put an ebay link below to an x men blue virgin cgc just for reference. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-Blue-1-2017-Marvel-Cover-C-Virgin-Variant-Signed-J-Scott-Campbell-CGC-9-8/371931747788?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dba24108046e144eb9c13d01d5e26b50a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361966084944

Ive heard conflicting statements on this from people (no one official) and not 100% sure what the position of CGC is. I would THINK that if you took a CGC witness to his booth and made a purchase of a signed book that it would be valid, but thats just my flat out guess. The reason I would think that is that Ive picked up sketches with a CGC witness and those are valid even though they are not sketched and signed right there on the spot. Not sure how a signature would be all that different if you are getting it directly from the artist?

I wonder if he bought them there at JSC C2E2 booth with a CGC witness and did on site grading. 

39 minutes ago, Insanity said:

i think Campbell only does official signings via private events 

I Heard of McFarlene and Stan Lee only doing private signing with CGC, but not Campbell

5 hours ago, Peter N. said:

Does anyone know if the J Scott Campbell signed books through his roadshow booth at conventions are eligible for cgc signature series label? I didn't think they were, but i ask because I came across a few of his new x men gold and x men blue books signed and graded 9.8 on ebay...the signature date says 04/21/2017 which I believe would be at C2E2. I read on his facebook that he wasn't attending in person, so was curious to see the books up for sale, and if CGC honors his sigs sold through his own booth under the yellow label.  I put an ebay link below to an x men blue virgin cgc just for reference. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-Blue-1-2017-Marvel-Cover-C-Virgin-Variant-Signed-J-Scott-Campbell-CGC-9-8/371931747788?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dba24108046e144eb9c13d01d5e26b50a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D361966084944

I'll  curious as well.....

i got a message from Doug from comic sketch art saying Campbell does private signings if im reading his message right

me. there's some debate on wither J Scott Campbell does private and or public signings

Doug. He will sign privately its $30 a book