• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

In what sense? His website exclusives still sell out faster than any other online retailer.

I think a lot of his new covers are starting to look the same.  He uses the same poses for every female and his male characters, other than spider-man, don't look good to me.  I hate a variant that has three different versions and the only difference is the color scheme or a slight outfit change.  Its like they are cheating and stealing your money for such a minor change that probably takes minimal effort to do.

I like JSC but I much prefer Dell'Otto, Hughes, and my new favorite Tyler Kirkham.

21 minutes ago, GaSouthernGrad said:

I think a lot of his new covers are starting to look the same.  He uses the same poses for every female and his male characters, other than spider-man, don't look good to me.  I hate a variant that has three different versions and the only difference is the color scheme or a slight outfit change.  Its like they are cheating and stealing your money for such a minor change that probably takes minimal effort to do.

I like JSC but I much prefer Dell'Otto, Hughes, and my new favorite Tyler Kirkham.

Ha, his covers have been the same for 15 years and people still buy them. They are all derivatives of Fairchild from Gen 13.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

In what sense? His website exclusives still sell out faster than any other online retailer regularly.

I think he is still relevant just not as much as he used to be. I am suspect about his covers "selling out" so quick online. Sometimes, they sell out within a few minutes and other times it takes hours upon hours if they even sell out. They allocate a set number for online and then some for his convention booth then I'm sure some for other retailers, so they control what is on his site. Its easy to manipulate "sold out". That "sold out" by itself increases the demand.

Also, his covers seemed to start selling out within minutes after one of them sat there for days without selling out (I cant remember which one it was). That said, I am not saying there isn't still demand for his covers. I love many of them and still buy them, but he is not at his peak right now by any means imo.

13 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I think he is still relevant just not as much as he used to be. I am suspect about his covers "selling out" so quick online. Sometimes, they sell out within a few minutes and other times it takes hours upon hours if they even sell out. They allocate a set number for online and then some for his convention booth then I'm sure some for other retailers, so they control what is on his site. Its easy to manipulate "sold out". That "sold out" by itself increases the demand.

Also, his covers seemed to start selling out within minutes after one of them sat there for days without selling out (I cant remember which one it was). That said, I am not saying there isn't still demand for his covers. I love many of them and still buy them, but he is not at his peak right now by any means imo.

How would being sold out increase demand when that is his only selling platform in most cases? His last convention was the Jean Gray. He's had multiples since then.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

How would being sold out increase demand when that is his only selling platform in most cases? His last convention was the Jean Gray. He's had multiples since then.

He has a large booth at almost all big conventions where he sells a lot of products. Its great to sell out online leading up to one of those big conventions too when you are selling there along with having a convention exclusive. Perception. 

Not only that, but selling out one cover helps sell future covers, signatures and keeps him "relevant". Having a cover sit and not sell out is not good for that perception. I don't think thats a big leap in logic. (I won't even get into the whole print run change last minute right before pre-orders started either).

52 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

He has a large booth at almost all big conventions where he sells a lot of products. Its great to sell out online leading up to one of those big conventions too when you are selling there along with having a convention exclusive. Perception. 

Not only that, but selling out one cover helps sell future covers, signatures and keeps him "relevant". Having a cover sit and not sell out is not good for that perception. I don't think thats a big leap in logic. (I won't even get into the whole print run change last minute right before pre-orders started either).

He has convention editions that he only sells there (roadshow variants) as well as hold backs, yes. At the end of the day product not sold is money lost. So, he wants to sell out. One time he tried to get cute and bump all the print numbers. Those did not sell out. I think it was the X-Men Gold covers.

Again, big conventions are few and far between and he is not selling thousands at a convention. His website is now his moneymaker.

24 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

He has convention editions that he only sells there (roadshow variants) as well as hold backs, yes. At the end of the day product not sold is money lost. So, he wants to sell out. One time he tried to get cute and bump all the print numbers. Those did not sell out. I think it was the X-Men Gold covers.

Again, big conventions are few and far between and he is not selling thousands at a convention. His website is now his moneymaker.

I don't think its not sold. I think he uses other retailers, his booth and other outlets to sell his products along with his website. When he saw the alternative of a cover sitting and not selling, why not have it "sell out" online. Then, you have people hunt for it from other places. This business is not straightforward thats for sure. The words "sold out" are not honest by any means (not exclusive to him).

I'm positive his booth is a huge money maker. While his website is his bread and butter, he is definitely selling a ton of books at his booth. Ive been there and seen it. He may not be selling thousands of one book, but it could be hundreds of a popular title over a 3 day weekend. During con season, that booth is pretty active monthly. Probably a couple times a month. It's at all the major city cons (it will be here in Dallas at FXD from what I hear). It travels without him and he shows up to it sometimes (I think it goes to multiple shows if they are on same weekend too).

When someone is at his booth buying his convention exclusive and they see that they can buy a cover that was sold out online, don't you think they do often? I know it happens because when I was at ECCC last year, he had some covers there for sale that "sold out" online (he had all Elektra #1 covers).

And recently, he has a "warehouse finds" sale? All of a sudden the warehouse finds stock? Come on. ;)

I love some of his covers and I don't think it's wrong for someone to try to make a dollar, but gotta call it like I see it.

Edited by kevhtx

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I don't think its not sold. I think he uses other retailers, his booth and other outlets to sell his products along with his website. When he saw the alternative of a cover sitting and not selling, why not have it "sell out" online. Then, you have people hunt for it from other places. This business is not straightforward thats for sure. The words "sold out" are not honest by any means (not exclusive to him).

I'm positive his booth is a huge money maker. While his website is his bread and butter, he is definitely selling a ton of books at his booth. Ive been there and seen it. He may not be selling thousands of one book, but it could be hundreds of a popular title over a 3 day weekend. During con season, that booth is pretty active monthly. Probably a couple times a month. It's at all the major city cons (it will be here in Dallas at FXD from what I hear). It travels without him and he shows up to it sometimes.

When someone is at his booth buying his convention exclusive and they see that they can buy a cover that was sold out online, don't you think they do often? I know it happens because when I was at ECCC last year, he had some covers there for sale that "sold out" online (he had all Elektra #1 covers).

And recently, he has a "warehouse finds" sale? All of a sudden the warehouse finds stock? Come on. ;)

I love some of his covers and I don't think it's wrong for someone to try to make a dollar, but gotta call it like I see it.

Yes, every retailer and artist hold some back for conventions. I'm saying it's not that many.
Most of those warehouse were not sold out / in demand as can be seen on the previous page. Which includes 3 X-Men Gold variants.

Edited by ygogolak

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, every retailer and artist hold some back for conventions. I'm saying it's not that many.
Most of those warehouse were not sold out / in demand as can be seen on the previous page. Which includes 3 X-Men Gold variants.

I don't agree that it wouldn't be that many for him. I think his booth does enough business to keep a lot back. His booth stays busy and his exclusive covers are what people are there buying. 

The warehouse finds sale was probably what was left over from what they held back from the convention stock. It definitely had "exclusives" in it along with the stuff people didn't want.

I bought numerous covers of his right when they went on sale. I remember the sale after the print run debacle (X-men gold was print run change I think?) where the cover sat and didn't sell out at all. I believe it was the sale after that or one soon after that it sold out within minutes and the oddity was that all the covers said sold out within minutes. It was very strange. It just seemed like odd behavior for selling out. 

This just popped up on eBay, A raw Ruby Red for $1200 obo... This is my Campbell grail, but unfortunately I don't have the funds right now to buy it with rent coming up  =( And since I can't have it, I'd make you guys aware of it... 

https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292424208028

Edited by zupaphly

1 hour ago, zupaphly said:

This just popped up on eBay, A raw Ruby Red for $1200 obo... This is my Campbell grail, but unfortunately I don't have the funds right now to buy it with rent coming up  =( And since I can't have it, I'd make you guys aware of it... 

https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292424208028

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen one pop up. Looks more VF+ than NM- to me though.

9 hours ago, zupaphly said:

Seller would be better off doing a straight no reserve auction.  

-J.

11 hours ago, zupaphly said:

Upped that price to $3000.