• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree it's up to the artist what they want to charge, or how they go about it. It just seems every artist is different. I don't mind or have a dog in the fight lol I respect the artist enough that if I'm wanting to be their customer, I should play by their rules. I just don't like not finding out until I'm in front of them. They have past experiences of customers, while I don't have any frame of reference. As every artist is different, it makes it awkward if rules change or it's a first meeting. I usually just drop off with a facilitator and let them handle the details. It's all a bit new to me.  :shy:

Don't be fooled by propaganda advanced by those with a vendetta.

Artists can charge whatever they want for their signature. That's never, ever been the issue.

What they don't have the right to do is dictate what you may or may not do with that signature once it has been signed, short of drawing up a legal document...and no one's going to do that when the benefit is decidedly one-sided. And, it need not be stated that a signature is not even remotely the same as a work product. As well...charging different prices for the same service...a signature...is discrimination, whether people understand that or not. "You're charging me $30 to sign these? But...you just did the exact same thing for the guy in front of me for $20....and I don't get anything extra from you for the difference in price."

Of course you should play by their rules...but you ought to understand that a lot of these creators have been lied to by so-called "facilitators" who tell them that "people slabbing are making fat stacks of cash off your signature"...which isn't even remotely true. Of course, they tell them this, so that they can then step in and say "....and *I* can help you, to make sure you get a cut of that $$$. Just sign here, and I'll take care of everything."

Which, of course, is a conflict of interest. They're lying to creators, to convince them to charge more for CGC, so they can get a cut of that extra cost.

It's quite the swindle.

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Screenshot 2018-10-23 at 12.42.18 PM (3).png

Hi Kav! :hi: That's an odd juxtaposition, since those two comments are unrelated, but let me see if I can clarify.

There's a difference between looking for comments by people one has a vendetta against, to slyly and subtly contradict them....and an honest, genuine disagreement. And, I think most people can see that.

And it's a little bit weird that you save comments from people on unrelated topics that have no bearing on the discussion at hand. Can't you just respond on your own? 

Cheers!

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Hey guys, can we please keep this on topic?

I'm not a huge fan of JSC's work per se, but I've made some pretty good coin from selling the books he's done covers for.

I'm a huge fan but I have to admit I dont even know who he is.  :sorry:

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Hey guys, can we please keep this on topic?

I'm not a huge fan of JSC's work per se, but I've made some pretty good coin from selling the books he's done covers for.

Ps who do you use to press his books?  lol 

35 minutes ago, kav said:

Ps who do you use to press his books?  lol 

I don't know if it's appropriate to say as CGC has their own pressing in house, but it's one of the best known pressers in the biz and someone who I consider a close, personal friend who my wife and I have broken bread with on countless occasions.

12 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I don't know if it's appropriate to say as CGC has their own pressing in house, but it's one of the best known pressers in the biz and someone who I consider a close, personal friend who my wife and I have broken bread with on countless occasions.

Greggy presses books ? :baiting:

56 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

:signofftopic::makepoint:

For the most part, I've kinda tuned out J Scott Campbell emails ever since ASM#800.  I mean, I did get the Uncanny X-Men #1 covers, but for the most part, I don't even bother opening the emails anymore.  Just delete them as I get them.  This has especially been the case the last few weeks because it honestly feels like he's churned out an "exclusive" every few days.  I will say, I could be tempted by one or more of these Captain Marvel covers though.  If anything, it's just nice to see him doing someone other than MJ, Gwen, or Felicia.

https://jscottcampbell.com/products/captain-marvel-1-j-scott-campbell-exclusive?utm_source=J+Scott+Campbell+VIP+List&utm_campaign=c17e1d5574-CAPTAIN_MARVEL_TEASER_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d5c14a603b-c17e1d5574-438611853&goal=0_d5c14a603b-c17e1d5574-438611853&mc_cid=c17e1d5574&mc_eid=076827f24c

On 12/4/2018 at 10:50 PM, ExNihilo said:

For the most part, I've kinda tuned out J Scott Campbell emails ever since ASM#800.  I mean, I did get the Uncanny X-Men #1 covers, but for the most part, I don't even bother opening the emails anymore.  Just delete them as I get them.  This has especially been the case the last few weeks because it honestly feels like he's churned out an "exclusive" every few days.  I will say, I could be tempted by one or more of these Captain Marvel covers though.  If anything, it's just nice to see him doing someone other than MJ, Gwen, or Felicia.

https://jscottcampbell.com/products/captain-marvel-1-j-scott-campbell-exclusive?utm_source=J+Scott+Campbell+VIP+List&utm_campaign=c17e1d5574-CAPTAIN_MARVEL_TEASER_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d5c14a603b-c17e1d5574-438611853&goal=0_d5c14a603b-c17e1d5574-438611853&mc_cid=c17e1d5574&mc_eid=076827f24c

I like how he is adding more to the covers (the xmen cvoers) than just switching out the wardrobe on a character in a single pose, and the homage covers are nice too

image.png.98b68c5687e0a59ec32d0247e6106ac0.png

1 hour ago, Avi said:

I like how he is adding more to the covers (the xmen cvoers) than just switching out the wardrobe on a character in a single pose, and the homage covers are nice too

Agreed, that was one of the reasons why I actually bought the UXM set, because it actually required effort on his part instead of slight wardrobe changes.  My only complaint thus far is I wish he went with the pixie cut on Captain Marvel here to highlight the look in each iteration.

image_from_ios-3_2048x.jpg?v=1544148433

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Agreed, that was one of the reasons why I actually bought the UXM set, because it actually required effort on his part instead of slight wardrobe changes.  My only complaint thus far is I wish he went with the pixie cut on Captain Marvel here to highlight the look in each iteration.

That would have been better! He has one more cover to release, heres hoping...

8 minutes ago, kimik said:

This Captain Marvel set is a nice one. It will sell out fast tomorrow........

Isn't there also a special Christmas "print" that Campbell does this time of year? I think that this year it is a woman drinking coffee?