• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Califelix said:

J Scott's site has now changed to April 24th as the ship date for both X-Men Gold and Blue.  First they increased the print run then they change the shipping date (for reprint interior Gold?)...the shady way these books are being handled is really pushing me away from purchasing anymore from him....

So his books wont have the controversial material within?  Interesting.

9 hours ago, PMK916 said:

So his books wont have the controversial material within?  Interesting.

I surely hope not. Marvel might have strong armed him into having the books resent to the printer tho... might not be his decision on whether he could sell the issues with the controversial material.

11 hours ago, Califelix said:

J Scott's site has now changed to April 24th as the ship date for both X-Men Gold and Blue.  First they increased the print run then they change the shipping date (for reprint interior Gold?)...the shady way these books are being handled is really pushing me away from purchasing anymore from him....

Signed copies have already been received by some people. He signed them last week. Had a vid on IG.

Edited by ygogolak

Just got my ASM 25 in today. I brought 2 sets of the 3 covers. Sad to say, I don't think none of them would reach 9.8. Each cover has a little ding on the top corner. I also noticed that the covers looks a little smaller than the actual comics. It's about 0.2cm shorter, I can actually see page 1 behind it. Ashame really, since this is one of the higher cost comics in his store, but it looks like the covers were just "Mickey moused" together. 

5 hours ago, NamesJay said:

I surely hope not. Marvel might have strong armed him into having the books resent to the printer tho... might not be his decision on whether he could sell the issues with the controversial material.

I hope the controversial material is not included. No place for it imo. I have the regular cover version with it in there. No need to have a bunch of copies of that sh it included.

27 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I hope the controversial material is not included. No place for it imo. I have the regular cover version with it in there. No need to have a bunch of copies of that sh it included.

Reason I want it is that it speaks a story of history. And I wasn't able to grab a regular edition. This was going to be my only way of acquiring it unless I shell out enormous amounts of money or wait a long period of time for the prices to come down.

And if the book turns out to be hot, that might not happen.

3 minutes ago, NamesJay said:

Reason I want it is that it speaks a story of history. And I wasn't able to grab a regular edition. This was going to be my only way of acquiring it unless I shell out enormous amounts of money or wait a long period of time for the prices to come down.

And if the book turns out to be hot, that might not happen.

If you had it CGC'd I doubt that it would be noted on the label. Idk if that is anything someone would want btw, just saying imo it would be hard to keep nice throughout the years and hard to show if in a CGC case.....

I think he saw his exclusives selling out recently and thought he could make a little more on them. Well, making them too often, reduction to VIPs and increased print run = not selling out. Maybe he is fine with it though. He is the one who sees the sales numbers and not us.

11 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I think he saw his exclusives selling out recently and thought he could make a little more on them. Well, making them too often, reduction to VIPs and increased print run = not selling out. Maybe he is fine with it though. He is the one who sees the sales numbers and not us.

In his personal life, if you think it has anything to do with it:

Spoiler

He posted on Facebook that he just proposed recently and showed pictures of it in time square in NY, Not trying to pluck a nerve but maybe he was going to pay off some bills with it idk js

Im a free market guy so he can charge whatever he wants and run his business how he wants. As a fan of his work, I just hope he treats his fans with respect. Otherwise, his work and reputation in the field will suffer. Some of his actions recently are suspect. But, I don't care how he spends his money or how much he makes. 

When I met him at ECCC, he couldn't have been more nice to me though. So, I don't know, it was conflicting. I was expecting him to be a d0000che bag really.

2 hours ago, Brianlingo21 said:

after changing from 15% to 10% discount and the whole print run change and no print run info for this. I'm going to sit out for awhile...go for some older ones...and catch these cheaper on ebay slabbed

This.  I'm barley hanging on right now with what's taken place the last couple of months through that store.  This will be the first JSC release I'm laying off of in quite awhile.

Same here. Bought everything but dropping the discount, stealth print increases and now no print runs + the fact he is pumping them out so frequently has put me right off. Bored of the 3 variants of a variant sets as well. The 2 X-Men sets will be my last for a while.

11 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Im a free market guy so he can charge whatever he wants and run his business how he wants. As a fan of his work, I just hope he treats his fans with respect. Otherwise, his work and reputation in the field will suffer. Some of his actions recently are suspect. But, I don't care how he spends his money or how much he makes. 

When I met him at ECCC, he couldn't have been more nice to me though. So, I don't know, it was conflicting. I was expecting him to be a d0000che bag really.

Yes when i met him he was nice to me as well. Heard people say he's a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed but it wasn't the case.

11 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Yes when i met him he was nice to me as well. Heard people say he's a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed but it wasn't the case.

The one time I met him it was the last day of a con. He was over an hour late. When he did show up he ate his Starbucks breakfast in front of about 100 people waiting in line for 20 more minutes before signing. Then he only signed for an hour or so before he had to leave to catch his plane. The first person in line was a vendor with a sketch book that JSC spent half an hour sketching on. 

The first interaction I had was about 6 years ago. He had offered up 10 sketch opportunities for $500 a piece about 2 months or so before a con. I paid for 2...one DC and one Marvel character.  When the con came, he had only done 1 of the 10 (not mine) and said he didn't have time to do them with sdcc coming up so he gave refunds after having the money for a couple months.

I strongly feel that he's only popular based on his talent and not on his personality...