The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
32 32

4,333 posts in this topic

3,606 posts

The Mary Jane 3-book sets are already sold out. First time I missed them in a while...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250 posts
4 hours ago, NamesJay said:

The Mary Jane 3-book sets are already sold out. First time I missed them in a while...

That means that the next exclusive will have a larger print run and decreased discount 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,365 posts
2 hours ago, Poka said:

That means that the next exclusive will have a larger print run and decreased discount 

Possibly. Or, maybe he sees that this formula is what helps sell them out? I think selling them out is a good signal instead of them sitting on his site for a long time. Ill be curious to see what he does.

I skipped this set. Ive bought so many of his sets recently and got a lot of them signed. Since these wouldn't get here before his appearance at Denver con, I figured I would skip this one. Ill try and get the Vision SDCC exclusive one when it comes out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151 posts

My two Jean Grey sets, order # 216XX, shipped Wednesday and arrived at my house yesterday. Two of the books will be going to Sarasota - they look like good 9.8 candidates, and the other four are NM beauties. Very happy with my order. The two book sets of the Mary Jane variant are still available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,778 posts

I really like this MJ Avengers 8 set. It is one of the better ones lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,228 posts

I enjoy Campbell's artwork, so I was happy to stumble onto this thread. I collect original artwork (and, boy howdy, is Campbell's OA expensive!), loved Danger Girl back in the day, but I had no idea JSC had his own mini-empire of exclusives, etc.

If you buy from his site because you're a Campbell fan and that's your emphasis, I can see why. Having seen many of the images here, I can understand that. The man does sterling work.  I've bought a lot of artwork where I know I'll never get my money back because I love the image. 

Sometimes, though, I purchase a piece hoping to some day make a profit on the art. This would be almost impossible if every artist offered lots of original art on a monthly basis, partially because the OA community has a smaller fan base than the comics community. I haven't followed comic collecting for years, so please forgive the question that follows if it seems snarky. It's truly only asked out of curiosity.

The JSC business venture appears  to know what they're doing, and that usually means they intend to scoop up every available dollar. Since Campbell offers his comic exclusives on a regular basis, and there seems to be a good number of every title, do any of you wonder if you'll ever get your money back when the time comes to sell?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,410 posts
4 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

I enjoy Campbell's artwork, so I was happy to stumble onto this thread. I collect original artwork (and, boy howdy, is Campbell's OA expensive!), loved Danger Girl back in the day, but I had no idea JSC had his own mini-empire of exclusives, etc.

If you buy from his site because you're a Campbell fan and that's your emphasis, I can see why. Having seen many of the images here, I can understand that. The man does sterling work.  I've bought a lot of artwork where I know I'll never get my money back because I love the image. 

Sometimes, though, I purchase a piece hoping to some day make a profit on the art. This would be almost impossible if every artist offered lots of original art on a monthly basis, partially because the OA community has a smaller fan base than the comics community. I haven't followed comic collecting for years, so please forgive the question that follows if it seems snarky. It's truly only asked out of curiosity.

The JSC business venture appears  to know what they're doing, and that usually means they intend to scoop up every available dollar. Since Campbell offers his comic exclusives on a regular basis, and there seems to be a good number of every title, do any of you wonder if you'll ever get your money back when the time comes to sell?

 

 

Since I don't and won't name names:

I think the general concensus is to buy signed/unsigned copies, buy multiples of the ones you want, then immediatley SS/CGC the items, sell off the extra's to cover the cost of your original purchase; then you keep your copies to look at and revere your conquest!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
137 posts
Quote
AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE
REGARDING YOUR ORDER OF

AVENGERS #8
 

You are receiving this email message because you have purchased a copy or set of Avengers #8.

On June 3, we launched Avengers #8 on our web store as a pre-order item. We received the shipment of books last week. Upon reviewing the shipment for quality, it became apparent that the entire shipment suffered production damages.

Production damages are caused during the manufacturing of the comics and can occur with the following processes: printing, cutting, stapling, assembling and boxing to name a few.

We have contacted the publisher, Marvel, to address these issues. The publisher has agreed to a full replacement of our order. We greatly appreciate the dedication to a quality product and assistance we received from Marvel. It is of the utmost importance to us to send our customers a product of the highest quality. While we do not expect every book to be perfect, the majority of our shipment should be devoid of obvious and avoidable production defects.

What this means to our customers

  • We expect to receive the books from the printer on June 26. We reserve approximately 7 business days to complete quality control on the shipment and prepare the books for order fulfillment (bags & boards, certificates of authentication, seals, etc). We therefore expect order processing to begin on July 3. Given that these dates are estimates in a special circumstances scenario, we cannot guarantee the dates and we will send a follow-up email when fulfillment does begin.

  • All products in your order will ship at once. For example, if your order contains Jean Grey #1 cover A and Avengers #8 cover A, then your order will ship with both books at once according to the Avengers #8 fulfillment schedule.

  • The print run quantities advertised on the web store product page remain the same. This corrected print run replaces the original print run, which has been destroyed. All orders will be fulfilled using the replacement shipment.

 

Spectacular Spider-Man: Peter Parker #1

  • The release date of Spectular Spider-Man: Peter Parker #1 is June 21, with an expected fulfillment start date of June 30. Given the change in fulfillment start date of Avengers #8, due to the replacement shipment, the two books’ fulfillment period will overlap. Priority will be given to Avengers #8. As a result, we estimate certain delays will occur in fulfilling Spectacular Spider-Man: Peter Parker #1. We greatly appreciate your understanding during this period as we strive to offer our customers a quality product and service.

I just got this message from JSC.com. I'm sure those of you who ordered Avengers #8 got this message, but in case you didn't, here it is. Oh and I guess his next cover is going to be Spectacular Spiderman: Peter Parker #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
237 posts

On sale June 17th. I honestly like cover A the best where spidey doesn't have any baggage.

https://jscottcampbell.com/collections/jsc-exclusive-covers/products/peter-parker-the-spectacular-spider-man-1-j-scott-campbell-store-exclusive-cover?variant=35820207697

Edit: I wonder if the convention edition will have both MJ and BC. Would be possible since they are both on either side of him.

Edited by DTM700
Thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
782 posts

I really like the Black Cat version (copy c).  And I am curious to see what the convention copy looks like.  If he were holding both MJ & BC, there's no way he'd be able to swing through the air.. LOL!

 

Adding the pic from his website.  Anyone know what Cover D will look like?

JSCPPSS1.png

Edited by Praxis52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73 posts

I like cover A the best too, but personally I think all of them looks awesome. This might be my new favorite Campbell covers from his recent work, I like the fact that he finally drew some BG on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
222 posts

Over $100 shipped for the signed set after the promo code. 3,450 copies of A, 3,050 copies of B, and 1,700 of C. I dig the covers, but I'll wait for the inevitable price drop on Ebay.

Edited by Tnexus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,799 posts

Roadshow Variant -

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
761 posts
11 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Roadshow Variant -

 

image.jpg

Ah Gwen!  THat makes sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
782 posts
2 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Roadshow Variant -

 

image.jpg

:takeit: This is now my favorite of the set.  I need to get this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
761 posts
4 hours ago, Praxis52 said:

:takeit: This is now my favorite of the set.  I need to get this!!

Yeah waiting for Dre or Dscott or someone to start offering these

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
761 posts
Just now, Drbearsec said:

Yeah waiting for Dre or Dscott or someone to start offering these

Although right now, The jean grey con exclusive is ranking as one of my all time favorites of his.  The white Phoenix is breath taking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
549 posts

Couple questions

1. Do you think that either spidey with Gwen or MJ avengers con exclusive will be as valuable as white Phoenix?

2. Which of the two will be more valuable spidey with Gwen or MJ avengers con exclusive?

3. Anyone have a preview of MJ avengers con exclusive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
237 posts
1 hour ago, Polirer said:

Couple questions

1. Do you think that either spidey with Gwen or MJ avengers con exclusive will be as valuable as white Phoenix?

2. Which of the two will be more valuable spidey with Gwen or MJ avengers con exclusive?

3. Anyone have a preview of MJ avengers con exclusive?

AVEN8D.jpg?v=1496428737

More info on con exclusive release dates: https://jscottcampbell.com/pages/conventions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
32 32