The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
31 31

4,218 posts in this topic

12 posts
4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Still available...how much of this is a result of people now knowing they can get 9.8 graded copies in a month or so from his premium store?

Hey there I have just started collecting comics but I am curious why would people wait for the CGC 9.8 to be on his store instead? Wouldn't it would be cheaper to purchase the raw copies and send it for grading yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,042 posts

Close to 20hrs mark and all sets are still available. :news:

IMHO people realized that it’s a re-used art (as pointed before)(that’s just laziness) so they didn’t bother with this set.....

The beginning of the end???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,654 posts

cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,544 posts
On 3/2/2019 at 11:48 PM, dk3498 said:

Hey there I have just started collecting comics but I am curious why would people wait for the CGC 9.8 to be on his store instead? Wouldn't it would be cheaper to purchase the raw copies and send it for grading yourself?

In this day and age, collectors expect modern books to be NM+.  Not all books are NM+/Gem Mint fresh off the press.  There's a number of things that happen along the way that can negatively impact the book.  The only way to guarantee that it is NM+ is by buying a book that has been pre-screened and sent to CGC and comes with a guarantee.  You could buy the book raw and submit it yourself, but it could still come back 9.6 (which is less than ideal for some people).  And even then, you're beholden to the one or two books the JSC store sent you.  At least at a comic shop with a regular book, if you get there early enough you can pick through the 20+ copies the store has for the best available one.  No such luck with mail order books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

In this day and age, collectors expect modern books to be NM+.  Not all books are NM+/Gem Mint fresh off the press.  There's a number of things that happen along the way that can negatively impact the book.  The only way to guarantee that it is NM+ is by buying a book that has been pre-screened and sent to CGC and comes with a guarantee.  You could buy the book raw and submit it yourself, but it could still come back 9.6 (which is less than ideal for some people).  And even then, you're beholden to the one or two books the JSC store sent you.  At least at a comic shop with a regular book, if you get there early enough you can pick through the 20+ copies the store has for the best available one.  No such luck with mail order books.

Ah I see thanks for the explanation ExNihilo! Guess I didn't know that 9.6 was less than ideal for moderns (Always thought 9.4 was good enough). As a matter of fact I have been getting some CGC SS phoenix resurrection covers from JSC on ebay (I personally feel that the Phoenix resurrection covers are one of the few covers which deserves a proper casing to hold it so you could enjoy the double sided cover! Can't wait for it to be shipping over!). So far don't you guys think that the newer JSC releases are actually cheaper probably due to flippers over buying? But so far I am enjoying any JSC covers which catches my eye. :bigsmile: 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, combiner1 said:

Close to 20hrs mark and all sets are still available. :news:

IMHO people realized that it’s a re-used art (as pointed before)(that’s just laziness) so they didn’t bother with this set.....

The beginning of the end???

I highly doubt people are not buying due to it being re-used art, probably too many artists are releasing their variants with too little downtime. Gets really heavy on the wallet (at least for me ha!), especially if we want to get some of the variants graded.

 

PS: On a side note does anyone have any idea where to look out for a Witchblade #150 Cover F (And a GOTG #4) by JSC? Been trying to find it at a reasonable price, do PM me if you have any directions for me to head towards (My country only has 4 LCS and they don't really bring in variant/retailer incentives) Thanks in advance!

Edited by dk3498
Some typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,544 posts
1 hour ago, dk3498 said:

I highly doubt people are not buying due to it being re-used art, probably too many artists are releasing their variants with too little downtime.

I feel like this is the reason why his last two offerings haven't sold out nearly as quickly as what he was putting up last year.  It honestly feels like he's had a slew of covers and people are just getting burned out, bored of his work, or just don't have the money for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 posts
5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I feel like this is the reason why his last two offerings haven't sold out nearly as quickly as what he was putting up last year.  It honestly feels like he's had a slew of covers and people are just getting burned out, bored of his work, or just don't have the money for it.

Just wondering do you collect his older variants such as the GOTG #4 or the Witchblade #135, #150, #151?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,341 posts
2 hours ago, Insanity said:

i think its better to hunt down his older stuff

^^

His sweet spot is 2009-2013.

After that he became a self-contained speculation cottage industry as everyone assumed (hoped) everything he put out would be "the next" Wolverine 1, Black Panther 1, ASM 688, or whatever.  

Nothing has, or even close, not even to a Superior Spider-Man 20 level (his last genuinely good variant cover), so perhaps the speculators are moving on.

The upside to that is it should leave more breathing room for actual fans and collectors.  

-J.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,544 posts
11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The upside to that is it should leave more breathing room for actual fans and collectors.

The good news is that it seems as though he has realized there is a disparity between supply and demand on his premium store.  For example, when the premium market first opened, i feel like his SS books were listed for like $250+.  Now I'm seeing books in the $150-$200 range.  Maybe he'll take some lessons from the fact that these raw books are still available and the next offering will be cheaper.  Or one can hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21,394 posts
Posted (edited)

There is more competition on the market now with other artist exclusives, but he also needs to slow his offerings down. A new set every 6-8 weeks means collectors will be more picky. 

Edited by kimik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts
Posted (edited)

I think the inker/colorist work should also not be discounted. There's just a different caliber of work in issues like Black Cat 1, Superior Spider-man 20, and RYV 1 (Mary Jane Wedding cover). I feel like it's been missing from a lot of current works. Everything lately just looks boring and flat. It lacks depth.

Edited by Tnexus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,544 posts
26 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

I think the inker/colorist work should also not be discounted.

The price for the trade dress vs virgin pencil covers have nothing to do with the amount of work that goes into them and more about the print count.

42 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

Everything lately just looks boring and flat. It lacks depth.

I mean, the colors don't pop out at you, but I enjoy seeing the process as it goes from pencilist to inker to colorist.  Granted, if every book releases all these variants, it becomes redundant, but I especially liked it on the Jim Lee Batman #50 cover where you see the progression as it passes hands from Jim to Scott to Alex.

image.thumb.png.772cf2a139d9af78d2ac397632e78e50.pngimage.png.97d6796e0457b02a5154f5d26ca92d9b.pngimage.png.63f42436661d5ce5c0141a20125555fc.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 posts

thought this was interesting... for those who like the art but don't want a store variant or can't afford the original

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/marvel-captain-marvel-art-sideshow-collectibles-500794

This is the first print from sideshow where I've seen so many finishing options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,067 posts
6 hours ago, Insanity said:

Black cat #1 cover A

 

Screenshot_2019-03-23-14-48-17.png

Doesn’t even look like his art anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts
3 hours ago, manetteska said:

Doesn’t even look like his art anymore. 

Sadly, it looks exactly like his art from the past 3-4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
715 posts
On 3/24/2019 at 3:26 AM, Tnexus said:

Sadly, it looks exactly like his art from the past 3-4 years.

I don’t get the hate for jsc...or how his art is somehow “not as good as he used to be”

i feel like people have this perception because he does a lot of variant covers? They’re not as valuable because they’re not as rare as his older ones but that doesn’t make the art any less “good”

this cover is creative and well done imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,348 posts
Just now, jason4 said:

I don’t get the hate for jsc...or how his art is somehow “not as good as he used to be”

i feel like people have this perception because he does a lot of variant covers? They’re not as valuable because they’re not as rare as his older ones but that doesn’t make the art any less “good”

this cover is creative and well done imo. 

There were a lot of covers in a row where he would just have a chick in the middle of the cover with hardly any background. Sometimes, the exact or similar poses. Lately (past year or so?) he has been creating better covers imo. The background are more detailed, more characters on the covers (male characters even), and differing poses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,643 posts
43 minutes ago, jason4 said:

I don’t get the hate for jsc...or how his art is somehow “not as good as he used to be”

i feel like people have this perception because he does a lot of variant covers? They’re not as valuable because they’re not as rare as his older ones but that doesn’t make the art any less “good”

this cover is creative and well done imo. 

This one looks good. Just won't have any value most likely. And, everything that kevhtx said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
31 31