• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do CGC slabs need to "breathe"?

13 posts in this topic

I acquired some sealable plastic bags to put over CGC holders. They have a sticky strip at the top and a flap to attach it to, so the CGC case is completely enclosed in 3 mil. poly material. (The CGC cases are delivered in similar plastic bags, but those are open-topped without a closable flap, and looser as well.) I got the bags because they make it easier to handle or stack the cases without worrying about causing scratches.

I'm curious, is there any downside to completely enclosing a CGC holder such that no air can get in or out of the slab? Does that accelerate the acidification process, or anything along those lines? Perhaps this topic has been discussed previously but I could not locate the topic/thread.

On a similar note, do we have to switch out CGC holders after a couple of years? I have some old label CGC slabs and I'm worried that I might have to send them in to get re-slabbed.

IMO, your books are completely safe in the old labels. They are also probably more valuable - old label goodness !

I'm not sure there's been a long enough history with these slabs yet.

Everything looks honkey dorey now but who knows what happens 25-30 years from now?

And if the books not breathing inside the slab, couldn't that cause some sort of issue also? I dunno, just spitballing out loud here.

Everything looks honkey dorey now but who knows what happens 25-30 years from now?

And if the books not breathing inside the slab, couldn't that cause some sort of issue also? I dunno, just spitballing out loud here.

The CGC slabs aren't air-tight :shrug:

Aren't the biggest culprits fluctuating temp and humidity extremes?

With the microchamber papers and a stable environment books should be fine, as long as they're not sealed up in something submersible, like vacuum-sealed bags or fire safes.

There has been extensive discussion on the boards about the dangers of storing comics, slabbed or not, in safes.

Isn't the book in a sort of vaccum sealed type of plastic?

Isn't the book in a sort of vaccum sealed type of plastic?

The inner well is made from archival-safe Barex, but it isn't air-tight.