• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Little Story with Comic Books

12 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right forum to post it, if not will the moderators please move it accordingly? Thank you in advance! :)

My story with comic book collecting begins without even having the opportunity to read them! :makepoint: I remember vividly it was Superman 75, Death of Superman in sealed black polybag. My friend helped me to buy it from the shop which was going for $10 each copy because of the anticipated best-selling copy. What's interesting is a few years later, the same friend wanted to buy it from me at an irresistible price of $50 which is 5x the price I had paid for! This is my first time making money out of my own hands, which further instills my interest in comic books collecting.

The second comic I acquired is the legendary Spider-man 375 and this time I gets to read, smell the pages and thoroughly enjoy it. <3 <3 <3 :cloud9: For those who remember, it comes with a catchy hologram cover that pleases the child mind of mine. The look on the beautiful cover makes my feeling like sugar-candy to toddlers.

Anyhow, sometime down the road, my mother found out about my comic book and disapprove it because she worry this will affect my studies. In a fit of anger, she threw all my comic books away. That day my heart set down like a stone. I cant help it. It was like someone who destroy your business and something that you enjoys doing it, making money out of it at the same time.

In later years, I came to realise mum was doing this for my own good. Eventually I came out of the university with a degree and doing a decent job at this time because of her. However, we often talk about this and she agree there's a better alternative way to resolve this incident, that is by confiscating the comics away from me and keep it until I finish my studies. However, we are all humans and we all make silly mistakes, even for an adult.

After I started my career, I begin collecting back comic books immediately. It was like a prisoner who had just came out of jail. Haha. :whee: This time however my first purchase comic book is actually something I can't read at all! >.< It is the first copy of Spawn #1, but was re-written in Italian/SPanish language. But I recognise the character and book issue because I had it in English version many years back before it was trashed. This was bought when I was on a business trip in Italy or Spain, cant remember. Haha

Anyway this is my short life story of how I came about collecting comic books and getting the opportunity to love them. I must thank all those artist (Stan Lee, Jerry Robinson, Todd MacFarlane and many more) and my friend who help bought my first Superman 75, in which allows me to shape my childhood interest till now. How about you folks? Do you have a story behind your favorite comic books? Do take abit time off and share :)

Ohh, those doggone moms.

I had my stuff thrown away several times as a youngster, until I FINALLY learned to keep them neatly stored in my dresser. I was already a teenager at the time, and I sigh when I think about what got tossed, including X-Men `, Fantastic Four 17, prehero Strange Tales, early SA Green Lanterns, etc etc

I've rerplaced them all since, but it still aches a bit when I think about it.

My mom and dad threw away all our baseball cards but did not throw away our (my brother and I) comic books . About 250 or so. How I got back into comics. Short story ,

I got out of comics maybe at 12 (got into kiss , Sports and Girls etc) but stayed a Spiderman fan. and at I think it was when I was 24 I found them in the basement and tried to sell them at a comic book store on SI, NY. Guy told me I had junk (I did, it was all good copies of commons from the 70's) and said he would give me $10. I declined but saw whole bunch of hologram Spiderman anniversary books and saw an issue with Spiderman but he had a black costume. I asked the guy what the heck was up. he told me of Venom etc. Well i did not walk out of there with any money but dropped $75 on books. All 4 holograms, venom back issues , black costume back issues and went crazy collecting every 70's book I could. I would get the comic book newspaper (I think it was comic buyers guide ) and call all the numbers and sellers to get back issues., I would fake not feeling well at work (I worked in Manhattan) and leave early to go to the comic book stores in midtown manhattan and the village. I was back as a comic book fan. Eventually got up to maybe 3,000 issues but over the years have gotten rid of alot as I moved , had a family etc. Now have like 300 of my favorite books.

My mom and dad threw away all our baseball cards but did not throw away our (my brother and I) comic books . About 250 or so. How I got back into comics. Short story ,

I got out of comics maybe at 12 (got into kiss , Sports and Girls etc) but stayed a Spiderman fan. and at I think it was when I was 24 I found them in the basement and tried to sell them at a comic book store on SI, NY. Guy told me I had junk (I did, it was all good copies of commons from the 70's) and said he would give me $10. I declined but saw whole bunch of hologram Spiderman anniversary books and saw an issue with Spiderman but he had a black costume. I asked the guy what the heck was up. he told me of Venom etc. Well i did not walk out of there with any money but dropped $75 on books. All 4 holograms, venom back issues , black costume back issues and went crazy collecting every 70's book I could. I would get the comic book newspaper (I think it was comic buyers guide ) and call all the numbers and sellers to get back issues., I would fake not feeling well at work (I worked in Manhattan) and leave early to go to the comic book stores in midtown manhattan and the village. I was back as a comic book fan. Eventually got up to maybe 3,000 issues but over the years have gotten rid of alot as I moved , had a family etc. Now have like 300 of my favorite books.

Wow. I wish I had the same passion as you! Thank you for sharing. :)

my oldest brother would show me his comics when I was a little kid but wouldn't let me touch them so I would ask my mom to buy me one whenever we found ourselves at the coffee shop that sold them. By the time I was 5 years old, I had about 200 comics that I kept in a Shaeffer Beer box next to my bed and would look at all the artwork every night. I just loved the colorful pictures of superheroes and I guess like most, I would try to draw them as best as I could. (I just got teary eyed thinking about those days). Never lost my love for comics or drawing....probably never will

One of my earliest memories is walking home from a house down the street, 2 blocks or so. I was small, 3 or 4, (it was 1969 or so) and I found a small funny animal comic on the side of the street. I could not yet read (and could read going into kindergarten) but dusted it off and looked it over. I don't believe that I brought it home but left it there in the dirt as the streets in that town at that time were unpaved.

I looked at comics before I could read and then one day I vividly recall looking at a comic book and thinking "hey, I can read now...I am going to start this over and read what it says on the pages as well as look at the pictures". I couldn't believe how much better it was! That day I "read" a lot of my comics for the first time.