• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

Apples and oranges again.

-J.

Not at all.. You guys look at it from a story point of view.. Im looking from a "hot cartoon-girl that sells at the moment" point of view..

Yknow.. like squirrel girl, livewire, rat queens etc..

I'm not a seller publisher, but if I were, I could get behind that. At least for the next 3-6 months. decade

-J.

Fixed

-J.

Not at all.. You guys look at it from a story point of view.. Im looking from a "hot cartoon-girl that sells at the moment" point of view..

I'm not a seller publisher, but if I were, I could get behind that. At least for the next 3-6 months. decade

-J.

Fixed

lol Pipe dream my man. Even the original Spider-Woman only lasted 50 issues when she actually was a new character (if not a new concept).

We're looking at a flash in the pan here, based on a recycled character and concept that is also currently duplicated three different ways right now even in modern comics.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Fixed

lol Pipe dream my man. Even the original Spider-Woman only lasted 50 issues when she actually was a new character (if not a new concept).

We're looking at a flash in the pan here, based on a recycled character and concept that is also currently duplicated three different ways right now even in modern comics.

-J.

If its a flash in the pan, why is it duplicated tenfold? Maybe cause it sells?

-J.

-J.

Fixed

-J.

If its a flash in the pan, why is it duplicated tenfold? Maybe cause it sells?

Give it time. But it is already following the trajectory of similarly bloated, front-loaded "hot" moderns, right down to the familiar mantra of fans proclaiming that "this one will be different". Past performance is always the best predictor of future behavior. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

This.

The bloom will be off the rose somewhere between issues 6 and 12, this thread will be on page two, or lower, and the speculator/momentum crowd will have moved on to the next hot concept or character.

I have no dog in this fight.

I own one, and will not be selling.

But what character from the Big 2 has hit with this kind of heat in the past 10 years?

Image #1s, sure. There has been a ton of those.

I can not think of any Marvel or DC title or character that started getting these kind of prices right out of the gate, though.

I just think it may be too early to be poo poo'ing on Spider-Gwen already.

But what character from the Big 2 has hit with this kind of heat in the past 10 years?

I can not think of any Marvel or DC title or character that started getting these kind of prices right out of the gate, though.

+1

I had 8, sold 4, gave 2 to a friend, and have 2 left. I wish I hadn't sold the 4. I've watched New Mutants 98 blow up despite the fact that I believe that there is 1 copy for anyone who cares about the character. I've seen Batman Adventures 12 skyrocket over the last 2 years. I still can't get over how much the 2 books sale for on any given day. With that being said, just because it doesn't make sense to me, doesn't mean it won't happen now or in the future. I think EoSV 2 is the real deal despite the people who don't understand it's appeal. 2c

Batman 1 new 52? ASM 1, vol 3? (shrug)

We're basically talking about a spin-off title in a re-booted "what if?" universe here. This is not a new character. This is not a new or original concept. It is merely a mash up of existing characters and ideas. This is "what if Gwen Stacy was (a) spider-woman?". There is very little substantively to support this book long term at these artificially high speculative prices.

Same spider-time. Same spider-channel. But with a neat costume.

-J.

We're basically talking about a spin-off title in a re-booted "what if?" universe here. This is not a new character. This is not a new or original concept. It is merely a mash up of existing characters and ideas. This is "what if Gwen Stacy was (a) spider-woman?". There is very little substantively to support this book long term at these artificially high speculative prices.

-J.

I agree about the mash up which is exactly what Deadpool reminded me of when he first appeared. I look at him and I see similarities to Spidey and Daredevil costumes with the Punisher's weapons and Hulk/Wolverine healing powers. He also looks like Spawn under his mask. X-23 is a copy of Wolverine and I'd say things have held up pretty well for her first appearance. If you don't like it, I wouldn't sweat it. They'll create somebody you do like somewhere along the way. (thumbs u

-J.

Batman and Spidey weren't hauling in these prices for the regular issue #1.

Not even close.

-J.

I agree about the mash up which is exactly what Deadpool reminded me of when he first appeared. I look at him and I see similarities to Spidey and Daredevil costumes with the Punisher's weapons and Hulk/Wolverine healing powers. He also looks like Spawn under his mask. X-23 is a copy of Wolverine and I'd say things have held up pretty well for her first appearance. If you don't like it, I wouldn't sweat it. They'll create somebody you do like somewhere along the way. (thumbs u

We're talking apples and oranges here again. All the characters you cite above are actually "new" characters. Even if they may be swiped, ripped off, or homage, they are still new. They are not simply a rehashed (resurrected) character dressed up in a neat new costume. Although she's just a fictional character this just seems like a cheap marvel cash in on a dead girl's name and likeness to sell a few books.

lol But I get it I really do. Give me a different blonde girl with a different name, and it's just another chick with spider powers.

-J.

-J.

Not even close.

All the more reason to run for cover. ;)

-J.

-J.

We're talking apples and oranges here again. All the characters you cite above are actually "new" characters. Even if they may be swiped, ripped off, or homage, they are still new. They are not simply a rehashed (resurrected) character dressed up in a neat new costume. Although she's just a fictional character this just seems like a cheap marvel cash in on a dead girl's name and likeness to sell a few books.

lol But I get it I really do. Give me a different blonde girl with a different name, and it's just another chick with spider powers.

-J.

lol

Nobody stays dead at Marvel...except Captain Marvel. :grin:

Getting associated with a product is a double edged sword. Yes, you will command full knowledge of the product youre investing in and no, you will be clueless when new trends are setting, especially if its different than the ones you are accustomed to.

Spider-Gwen's popularity has nothing to do with Gwen Stacey, or spider-mans history. Its just a character that blew up and resonated with fans of that genre. I now officially dub it the Slippers effect

Yes I actually see alot of similarities with Deadpool's appearance. Marvel didnt even mention Deadpool on their newsletter, it almost seemed as if they went out of their way to alienate the introduction of this new character in NM98.

And I dont really blame them, Deadpool was a total Deathstroke hack, admittedly, Liefeld created him as a Deathstroke spoof. That's also the magic behind Spider-Gwen. I'll bet the creators of Spider-Gwen never anticipated this, had they did it wouldnt be an alternate universe story and probably would be hyped up the yin yan.

This is a classic, classic example of a key book/character. Will it slow down, sure, which stock doesnt have its ups and downs, will it die? absolutely positively not

-J.

-J.

lol

Nobody stays dead at Marvel...except Captain Marvel. :grin:

:roflmao::devil:

-J.

-J.

Not even close.

-J.

lol fair enough.

Like I've said, I have my one. I'm just curious to see where this ends up in a year or so.

Getting associated with a product is a double edged sword. Yes, you will command full knowledge of the product youre investing in and no, you will be clueless when new trends are setting, especially if its different than the ones you are accustomed to.

Spider-Gwen's popularity has nothing to do with Gwen Stacey, or spider-mans history.

Say wha---? (shrug)

With all due respect to your opinion and your obvious enthusiasm for the character (and not to mix my metaphors, or anything here) but I find this statement to be downright batty. :baiting:lol

-J.

-J.

Not even close.

-J.

lol fair enough.

Like I've said, I have my one. I'm just curious to see where this ends up in a year or so.

Me too. As a spider-variant maniac I actually looked at the variant. Just wasn't feeling the artwork at all on it. Maybe I'm too spoiled by Campbell, Dell'Otto, and Granov. I think the regular cover is actually slightly better. My 2 pence.

-J.