• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next CLINK auction is starting to stack up some interesting pieces

556 posts in this topic

I know there is a lot of financial discussion on the OA forums and the reason why is pretty plain .... OA is expensive as a portion of the net worth of most people purchasing it.

I don't thing the financial discussions devalue the love any of us have for the hobby. Or my favorite analogy, 'I know a lot of dealers that love the hobby, but that love goes out the door in almost every transaction they undertake, especially when they are on the selling end.' With the money levels and in consideration of that mindset, collectors have to be as, more, or have aspirations of attaining the shrewdness levels as the vendors they deal with.

2c

If people are surprised and/or offended that we might discuss the intersection of art and commerce/finance in a thread about the pieces offered for sale by a commercial, for-profit auction house, might I suggest that they refrain from clicking on such a thread and instead explore one of the many non-commercial threads out there? (shrug)

I might also add that we talk a lot about market values here, because (1) the love of the art/source material is taken as a given and, more to the point, (2) that love doesn't change over time for most people. Do we really want to restrict threads to looking like this (thanks to tth2 for inspiration):

RSonenthal: I love Kirby!

Delekkerste: +1

RonanKillack: Kirby is awesome!

Sharkey: :cloud9:

Comix4Fun: He's the King.

Thread dies, 3 months pass:

RSonenthal: New thread - I still love Kirby!

RonanKillack: :headbang:

Sharkey: :banana:

Comix4Fun: He's still the King. :sumo:

The only thing that really changes over time are the people and prices. That's why we talk about them so much. If we had to restrict the conversation to our love of the art, this forum would have a fraction of the current participation level. So, no one should apologize for wanting to talk about market trends, values, prices, etc. Not that we can't occasionally share a moment with a stranger on the Internet about our mutual love of BWS or Adams, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people want to talk about things that are happening and changing in this hobby, which often involves talk of numbers and commerce. 2c

Kirby: :cloud9::banana:

I know there is a lot of financial discussion on the OA forums and the reason why is pretty plain .... OA is expensive as a portion of the net worth of most people purchasing it.

I don't thing the financial discussions devalue the love any of us have for the hobby. Or my favorite analogy, 'I know a lot of dealers that love the hobby, but that love goes out the door in almost every transaction they undertake, especially when they are on the selling end.' With the money levels and in consideration of that mindset, collectors have to be as, more, or have aspirations of attaining the shrewdness levels as the vendors they deal with.

2c

If people are surprised and/or offended that we might discuss the intersection of art and commerce/finance in a thread about the pieces offered for sale by a commercial, for-profit auction house, might I suggest that they refrain from clicking on such a thread and instead explore one of the many non-commercial threads out there? (shrug)

I might also add that we talk a lot about market values here, because (1) the love of the art/source material is taken as a given and, more to the point, (2) that love doesn't change over time for most people. Do we really want to restrict threads to looking like this (thanks to tth2 for inspiration):

The only thing that really changes over time are the people and prices. That's why we talk about them so much. If we had to restrict the conversation to our love of the art, this forum would have a fraction of the current participation level. So, no one should apologize for wanting to talk about market trends, values, prices, etc. Not that we can't occasionally share a moment with a stranger on the Internet about our mutual love of BWS or Adams, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people want to talk about things that are happening and changing in this hobby, which often involves talk of numbers and commerce. 2c

He's still the fargin' King!! :slapfight:

I also love Kirby! :o

OT

I have no problem with discussing prices, trends, etc. of OA.

It's all relevant.

When I rant about investment theory, it's when people go off on a wild tangent and start talking about index funds, gold, real estate, etc and do not bother discussing OA. I think Gene would agree that the water cooler's sub forum is the appropriate place for that. Otherwise, he would not have mentioned it's existence. Aside from politics, there isn't much in terms of censorship. Just go to the appropriate forum and you will have a captive audience.

To suggest that anyone avoid entering any OA thread because of the potential of someone discussing investments is of course ridiculous.

If any novice is interested in investment strategies, is an OA thread in a comic centric chat board really the place where you want to get your feet wet?

If discussions in the water cooler die out, do people break out into a discussion on Kirby OA? Did I mention how much I love Kirby?

I was actually going for Rick Grimes, not Paul Blart. I guess my online cosplay skills need refining ..... along with other things.

Sean was actually the first person to call out the spammer. I jumped in when strangely enough, people were attacking Sean.

The success of my spam free edition thread speaks for itself.

Sean created a new spring time thread .......

Cheers!

N.

I also love Kirby! :o

OT

I have no problem with discussing prices, trends, etc. of OA.

It's all relevant.

When I rant about investment theory, it's when people go off on a wild tangent and start talking about index funds, gold, real estate, etc and do not bother discussing OA. I think Gene would agree that the water cooler's sub forum is the appropriate place for that. Otherwise, he would not have mentioned it's existence. Aside from politics, there isn't much in terms of censorship. Just go to the appropriate forum and you will have a captive audience.

To suggest that anyone avoid entering any OA thread because of the potential of someone discussing investments is of course ridiculous.

If any novice is interested in investment strategies, is an OA thread in a comic centric chat board really the place where you want to get your feet wet?

If discussions in the water cooler die out, do people break out into a discussion on Kirby OA? Did I mention how much I love Kirby?

I was actually going for Rick Grimes, not Paul Blart. I guess my online cosplay skills need refining ..... along with other things.

Sean was actually the first person to call out the spammer. I jumped in when strangely enough, people were attacking Sean.

The success of my spam free edition thread speaks for itself.

Sean created a new spring time thread .......

Cheers!

N.

Good post. (thumbs u

Is everything with Thanos and Warlock selling hot or just the Starlin 70's and Lim and Perez early 90's return of Thanos and Guantlet stuff?

Nobody wants your Boris :gossip:

I have no interest in selling it, at least not until Boris paints my face over Thanos. I just have always seen these Thanos era pieces be quite popular. I am not really surprised by the 70's Starlin upswing. I find it to be some of the best Bronze reading art and story wise. A lot of people also acknowledge Infinty Gauntlet as the story of the 90's. I question if pages from Thanos' series from the late 90's and things of that nature are seeing a bump.

2c

Wrote out a long boring reply, then saw you had framed my sentiments exactly.

:cloud9: Another wonderful post.

I suspect that movie hype effect is a diminishing phenomena. Pages from the very first GOTG comic went in Heritage for basically generic Colan SA page prices (snagged one myself!). It's now apparent that any significant Marvel character will hit the screen sooner or later, and DC can't fail to learn the lesson of Marvel forever --or can they? hm As for DD, he's been around once and flopped, so I wonder whether the speculation buzz can be built up again for that franchise? If the TV show becomes a huge hit then there should be an effect, but that seems like a long bet.

Yikes - I hadn't noticed how low those Colan pages just sold for - that $14K "GOTG" splash purchase last year isn't looking so hot. :sick: In the end, it just wasn't the version of GOTG the world had fallen in love with; it was more of a prototype. I suspect that pages featuring Groot, Rocket, etc. are still doing fine with the ongoing hype about Cosmic Marvel in the films and GOTG 2. I agree that returns from movie hype should diminish over time, but, for now, I suspect that the phenomenon is still very much alive and well. 2c

2c

Gene - as a reminder, my emoticon of choice is the dancing banana. Please make a note of it going forward. And, BTW, Kirby is awesome! :banana::banana::banana:

Is everything with Thanos and Warlock selling hot or just the Starlin 70's and Lim and Perez early 90's return of Thanos and Guantlet stuff?

I have no interest in selling it, at least not until Boris paints my face over Thanos. I just have always seen these Thanos era pieces be quite popular. I am not really surprised by the 70's Starlin upswing. I find it to be some of the best Bronze reading art and story wise. A lot of people also acknowledge Infinty Gauntlet as the story of the 90's. I question if pages from Thanos' series from the late 90's and things of that nature are seeing a bump.

Hmm yes. I have a Julie that I am going to pm you where my face painted over it would be beyond awesome :insane:

..and for what its worth I'm sure there would be lots of people interested in your thanos :gossip:

Its not a 70s piece but that late 80s early 90s era is a close second for thanos/warlock stuff. Plus it will have your face!

Yikes - I hadn't noticed how low those Colan pages just sold for - that $14K "GOTG" splash purchase last year isn't looking so hot. :sick:

No kidding. One of the more precipitous drops in recent memory.

:sorry:

153567.jpg.b148cfbbcf5651cae086f39744c4c10e.jpg

2c

Gene - as a reminder, my emoticon of choice is the dancing banana. Please make a note of it going forward. And, BTW, Kirby is awesome! :banana::banana::banana:

Chris, both you and Ron are a lot more passionate about the art you collect and I enjoy your (respective ) write-ups about your latest acquisitions which are very much in tune with my own collecting sensibilities.

In all fairness to the original poster, yes, the financial side of OA collecting is highly-relevant. Nothing wrong with that, but I think we get a little too much of it . . . and when (as Nelson Ink says) posters of that aspect go off-tangent into things like investment banking theory, it tends to kill the thread stone cold dead for me.

It's all healthy discussion, of course - and people can post what the heck they want to (and where they want to). 2c

2c

Chris, both you and Ron are a lot more passionate about the art you collect and I enjoy your (respective ) write-ups about your latest acquisitions which are very much in tune with my own collecting sensibilities.

In all fairness to the original poster, yes, the financial side of OA collecting is highly-relevant. Nothing wrong with that, but I think we get a little too much of it . . . and when (as Nelson Ink says) posters of that aspect go off-tangent into things like investment banking theory, it tends to kill the thread stone cold dead for me.

It's all healthy discussion, of course - and people can post what the heck they want to (and where they want to). 2c

When reading his write-ups, I picture Chris like this:

shakespeare_acting_wi_a_hc.gif

It helps.