• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Peter Hsu fans out there??

84 posts in this topic

This book lists Gene Day, Vince Marchesano & Peter Hsu on pencils and Peter Iro & Gene Day on inks. I would think that Gene Day did most of it and Hsu probably ghosted. But still, an early work with his credits nonetheless. Its strange that even comicbookdb doesnt mention Hsu's credits on it. Here are a couple of pages from it:

CB9a.jpg

CB9b.jpg

The Quadrant #1 9.8 that's sitting on eBay is newly graded. There are two copies on the census at the moment, and when it gets updated, there will be 3. Ok, sure, it's not the $90 that it sold for in 2011, but seriously, folks? $230 US for a tough, tough classic 80's magazine sized comic? With make an offer available, so you might even be able to get it for much less? Do people think more copies are going to flood the census? (They're not. This is a magazine sized book; the vast majority of copies that still exist are 9.0s or less. Mine might be a 9.2 with a press.)

Why is it still there?

Quadrant was a BIG DAMN BOOK in the mid 80's, and I wasn't even a collector then. Does everyone just forget that?

I wonder what's wrong with a lot of people, that these kinds of books aren't immediately bought, and just sit there, begging. Do they think that another copy is just going to come along any time? It's been five years since the last 9.8 sold. If I was still buying books, you better believe I'd be making an offer on that copy right now.

Or....it could just be that no one appreciates these things like they did back then. I doubt that...but that book shouldn't still be available.

Who cares that it might be "overpriced"? What's $230 for a book with a population of 3?

I truly, truly don't understand this market. It's a complete goldmine for the serious collector of classic stuff. Total goldmine. We are truly spoiled.

The Quadrant #1 9.8 that's sitting on eBay is newly graded. There are two copies on the census at the moment, and when it gets updated, there will be 3. Ok, sure, it's not the $90 that it sold for in 2011, but seriously, folks? $230 US for a tough, tough classic 80's magazine sized comic? With make an offer available, so you might even be able to get it for much less? Do people think more copies are going to flood the census? (They're not. This is a magazine sized book; the vast majority of copies that still exist are 9.0s or less. Mine might be a 9.2 with a press.)

Why is it still there?

Quadrant was a BIG DAMN BOOK in the mid 80's, and I wasn't even a collector then. Does everyone just forget that?

I wonder what's wrong with a lot of people, that these kinds of books aren't immediately bought, and just sit there, begging. Do they think that another copy is just going to come along any time? It's been five years since the last 9.8 sold. If I was still buying books, you better believe I'd be making an offer on that copy right now.

Or....it could just be that no one appreciates these things like they did back then. I doubt that...but that book shouldn't still be available.

Who cares that it might be "overpriced"? What's $230 for a book with a population of 3?

I truly, truly don't understand this market. It's a complete goldmine for the serious collector of classic stuff. Total goldmine. We are truly spoiled.

Yeah this book is impossible in 9.8 and even harder to find. Only by luck was I able to find the other 2 CGC 9.8's.

Quadrant #1 was on my very first handwritten master wantlist of books. I had never seen it, but I wanted it because I loved Hsu so much from the Adventurers. I never saw a copy of it until the Internet age. I meandered away from my master #1 list, but that book is still just an amazing time capsule of awesome.

Why is it still there?

Yeah this book is impossible in 9.8 and even harder to find. Only by luck was I able to find the other 2 CGC 9.8's.

Isn't the Windblade #1 magazine from Nightwynd Productions by Barry Blair even a much tougher book to find than Quadrant #1? (shrug)

Isn't the Windblade #1 magazine from Nightwynd Productions by Barry Blair even a much tougher book to find than Quadrant #1? (shrug)

No doubt about that, but I don't think that's a hsu book in any way?

Yes, well aware that Windblade does not have any Hsu artwork.

Just commenting more on Juggie's comment that Quadrant was impossible to find in 9.8 from a 1980's relative scarcity point of view.

BTW: Did you ever sell your copy of Windblade #1 to that boardie that was offering you something like only $50 for it. I certainly hope you didn't take him up on his low ball offer. (thumbs u

Loved Peter's work on Quadrant, never had the pleasure of meeting him. He had great talent but dropped off the face of the earth. Would love to find the original finished painting for Quadrant #1. I was lucky enough to pick up the prelim a few years ago. Plus I own the finished painting to the trade paperback.

Quadrant_1_cvr_prelim.jpg

quadrant_cvr.jpg

12 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Loved Peter's work on Quadrant, never had the pleasure of meeting him. He had great talent but dropped off the face of the earth. Would love to find the original finished painting for Quadrant #1. I was lucky enough to pick up the prelim a few years ago. Plus I own the finished painting to the trade paperback.

Quadrant_1_cvr_prelim.jpg

quadrant_cvr.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)