• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars 8 10.0

38 posts in this topic

I thought a 10.0 coudn't have a production defect. crazy.gif

Dice that be a tricky thing. In this case, I could accept a 10 Qualified type label with the explanatory qualifier being the 9.8 outer cover.

But to me, this example speaks more to the cover being the end-all of grade (something I disagree with). How can a 10 posess a 9.8? It cannot. So how should a grading company reconcile this? Certainly not with a 10 grade, but with a grade that reflects the real state.

added with edit superfast:: Thing is there may be a 9.8 cover and a 10 cover underneath. But does the 10 cover dictate the grade of the whole book?

POV, you bring up a point. Here is how I view this issue...

For me, a book with a double cover is not so much a defect as a "bonus". If a book is a 10.0 book, then the outside cover is just an added bonus and really has no effect on the grade of the book. This is one of the appeals of the double cover book for a collector like me. I realize that this may not be how the comic industry, grading companies, or other collectors see things, so please don't take this as some sort of blanket justification...just my own.

Gotta agree with you on the bonus value....

the book is still techinically a 10 with an extra wrapper.

Well, CGG has graded themselves a 10.0 of SW 8. It just so happens to be a double cover as well. Thoughts? Should a double cover book be a candidate for "perfection"??

Link

Really good question!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If the one grade is for one cover and the other grade is for the other cover, then...

What is the grade for the interior of the comic???

We've all seen notations on the old label that mention a tear on page such and such. This brings us to the big question...

When a comic is graded, is the outer cover the only thing being graded???

I'm very curious about this.

I sold a Double Cover MTU to another board member where the inner cover was a 3.0 and the outer cover was a 9.0. Both grades were notated in the comments, but the 9.0 grade was presented on the label.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

How could the inner cover get such a low grade and the outer cover a high grade? Was there writing on it? Was it torn?

Isn't the inner cover usually the higher grade? The outer cover, I would think, should serve as added protection for the inner cover.

I think he sold it to me. Did you change your forum name by the way? Anyways, I still haven't sopened the package till this day. 27_laughing.gif He could have sent me paper and I would have never known tongue.gif

I think he sold it to me. Did you change your forum name by the way? Anyways, I still haven't sopened the package till this day. 27_laughing.gif He could have sent me paper and I would have never known tongue.gif

Yes indeedy tongue.gif. Even gave you free shipping because you were a forum member. cool.gif

I was the artist formerly known as NotMHChuck.

I sold a Double Cover MTU to another board member where the inner cover was a 3.0 and the outer cover was a 9.0. Both grades were notated in the comments, but the 9.0 grade was presented on the label.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

How could the inner cover get such a low grade and the outer cover a high grade? Was there writing on it? Was it torn?

Isn't the inner cover usually the higher grade? The outer cover, I would think, should serve as added protection for the inner cover.

You are correct sir. The inside cover was missing a chunk. I don't know why this happens, but I have several books that have the inside cover missing a substantial piece.

I have suspicions as to why that happens, which is why I sent that particular one to CGC. The novelty of a book with two covers can be quite expensive for some collectors, so it is not beyond a dishonest seller to attach a cover to an existing book to increase the value of an otherwise worthless book. This takes quite a bit of expertise to do well, but I am sure that it is manageable.

This is the reason I submit double cover books to CGC. I don't like to see them in "plastic tombs" any more than the next double cover collector, but I like to have authentic books with two covers.

I have a double covered Captain Marvel Junior #66 from 1948.

The outer cover is a little bit more faded then the interior cover. It's not very noticiable unless you compare the two. The outer cover also has some dirt on the back. There is a slight tear on the lower left side near the staple that's about 3/4 of an inch on the front cover and abut 1/2 inch on the interior cover,. but doesn't go through the book.

The outer cover's spine also has a few brown spots near the top. Looks like dirt stains of some sort.

The interiors are GLEAMING white. Whitest pages I've ever seen on a book pre-1970.

But the interior cover is in the 5-6 range, and the outer cover is in the 3-4 range.

I have no idea what CGC would grade this. My guess would be somewhere around a 5.0.

Well, CGG has graded themselves a 10.0 of SW 8. It just so happens to be a double cover as well. Thoughts? Should a double cover book be a candidate for "perfection"??

Link

Looks like a steal considering in another thread a CGC 9.9 SW #8 sold for $1,800 on ebay. I am curious if the outer cover can be removed without damaging the value of the comic. If it could, just think what you would get for if it was re-slabbed as a CGC 10.0.

I had a 9.8 double cover X-Men #127 the inner cover was a beautiful 9.8 which I never saw because of the 8.0 cover laying on top of it. There should be no way a 10.0 can have anything to do with a 9.8. It would sound better as a 9.8 overall with a mnt inner cover. By the way I managed to get the 2 SW 9.9's, couldn't have done it without you, r1970d.

hi.gifDude, I saw that....i think you got a deal on the second one too, if i remember as the guy i sold it too, bailed on it a few weeks later! foreheadslap.gif Was the one that went for $1800 a few weeks ago one of yours? Check your PM.

Nope that was the 1 of 3 I don't have. I just took mine off of Comiclink. Maybe I'll let the market heat up for a week and then put it on ebay. Can lightning strike Twice? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

WOW,

I just checked the Serial number of the one he sold. I own that comic and I didn't sell it infact he took my picture from comiclink. That was a major scam. My listing just ended on comiclink.

I kinda thought the book looked familiar, as i remember the 2 9.9's both having a touch of miswrap. Wow. Wonder if this guy got paid! 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I just filed a report with ebay's fraud department. There going to pursue the issue. Too bad the guy didn't buy it from comiclink. He wouldn't have gotten cheated and I would have made some money.