• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are 0.99 starting bid auctions considered gambling or smart marketing?

99 posts in this topic

At this point I think very little sneaks by on ebay. There are rarely steals. So I don't see much risk. Perhaps you get a bit less than you were expecting, but I think the chances of getting significantly less are slim (of course this is assuming you have a realistic price in mind to start with).

I think I have only done 99 cent auctions three times in the last 3 years. Out of those three times, two auctions ended in way less than what I wanted and the other one went way higher than I expected. Despite this, when I decide to run auctions, I just start the auction at the absolute lowest I'd be ok with.

If the book is cold - do a BIN.

If there is a clamour for your item - risk a 0.99c opening auction.

If you misjudge your timing, you could make a huge loss.

Just choose a cold book and look at completed sales for auctions that started at 0.99c - quite a lot finish at that price.

Only auction on ebay if your starting price is your 'reserve'.

2c

When it comes to collectibles if I'm not looking for something EXCEEDINGLY rare, I filter out BIN's.

Great point. A NM98 will almost always close well, whereas a trending book like Legends #3 will be a hit or miss till it becomes a major key. Adding to that, an extremely uncommon key like Betty and veronica #320 can end up really bad since it has more of a niche market and its acquired collector market may or may not search for it in the 1-3-5 or 7 day grace period

When it comes to collectibles if I'm not looking for something EXCEEDINGLY rare, I filter out BIN's.

Great point. A NM98 will almost always close well, whereas a trending book like Legends #3 will be a hit or miss till it becomes a major key. Adding to that, an extremely uncommon key like Betty and veronica #320 can end up really bad since it has more of a niche market and its acquired collector market may or may not search for it in the 1-3-5 or 7 day grace period

:roflmao:

-J.

I'm talking rarer than that. Like maybe something that comes up for sale once a year in any grade, or less often. It's those moments where I'm not looking for a deal, but looking for anything I can afford. If there's ten or more of any particular issue in any grade on eBay at any moment, I'll filter out the BIN's. Anything from any major publisher basically. Unless it's a bargain bin comic. I'll do $2.50 BIN's.

At this point I think very little sneaks by on ebay. There are rarely steals. So I don't see much risk. Perhaps you get a bit less than you were expecting, but I think the chances of getting significantly less are slim (of course this is assuming you have a realistic price in mind to start with).

This isn't true at all

This isn't true at all

For once, darkstar and I agree on something. :for you:

Many non-hot, non-key books with absolutely great content and artists in HG slip through the cracks every day - you can't buy them all. lol

On the other hand, I don't buy a lot on eBay, nor do spend much time searching, but as a seller, I do look at sales results quite often.

You haven't seen my eBay rants, have you.

:frustrated:

-slym

Perhaps some of those books that "sneak through" are being overvalued by the seller? :baiting:

Kidding aside, I guess I wasn't really thinking about "cold" books when I made that comment. Something in much less demand I am probably wrong with my comment.