• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Of course its up to you, and perhaps this is a clever marketing strategy, but posting your purchase prices will likely affect your future ability to collect a maximum price when you attempt to sell your wares.

I agree. I like the idea of reading about how you go through the process, but in my business experience, disclosing your margins isn't appropriate. You may not see it now, but as you find success in your endeavors, I think you'll see that letting everyone know the inner-workings of your business might do more unseen harm than good.

ok then what do you suggest I post then? just the selling prices?

I for one applaud your endeavors. I can't wait for the eventual train wreck. :headbang:

You crack me up Oak.

Best of luck to the kid, I agree on not sharing purchase prices.

is that because people then won't want to pay what I want to sell it for because of how much I bought it for?

I for one applaud your endeavors. I can't wait for the eventual train wreck. :headbang:

You crack me up Oak.

is that because people then won't want to pay what I want to sell it for because of how much I bought it for?

Its called business ethics. Sure everyone wants to do the touchdown dance after they sell a book for thousands they pulled from a dollar bin, but if your first stop is to return to the guy you bought it from or to enlighten your buyer about your new windfall thanks to them, it's just in bad form. Be sure to brag to the IRS (or whatever they call it up there) while you are publicly posting about your earned income too, they'll be the only real ones interested. Edited by Junkdrawer

I have always been a believer that the financials of a transaction should be kept stealth. Especially if both the purchase and sale is on the Boards. Threads where Boardies brag about their biggest scores annoy me. While I sincerely feel you are an honest, hard working individual trying to get ahead, I just don't see any benefit to creating a public profit/loss statement. However, discussions about how your books graded with pics are very much welcome. It's about the books, not about the dollars !

You crack me up Oak.

Its called business ethics. Sure everyone wants to do the touchdown dance after they sell a book for thousands they pulled from a dollar bin, but if your first stop is to return to the guy you bought it from or to enlighten your buyer about your new windfall thanks to them, it's just in bad form. Be sure to brag to the IRS (or whatever they call it up there) while you are publicly posting about your earned income too, they'll be the only real ones interested.

so then what do I post? I want to show people my journey and struggles to this goal so how do I go about doing it?

I have always been a believer that the financials of a transaction should be kept stealth. Especially if both the purchase and sale is on the Boards. Threads where Boardies brag about their biggest scores annoy me. While I sincerely feel you are an honest, hard working individual trying to get ahead, I just don't see any benefit to creating a public profit/loss statement. However, discussions about how your books graded with pics are very much welcome. It's about the books, not about the dollars !

Thanks I am a honest person and I'm trying to change my financial situation. So does that mean you want this journal to be about me getting the comics and seeing what they graded? so will you guys be able to know if I'm getting closer to my goal by what I post here?

Thanks I am a honest person and I'm trying to change my financial situation. So does that mean you want this journal to be about me getting the comics and seeing what they graded? so will you guys be able to know if I'm getting closer to my goal by what I post here?

It has nothing to do with what WE want. It's your journal. Just consider exercising judgment and you'll be fine.

Instead of using monetary values why not get creative and use pie charts or graphs to track your progress by percentages. You can share the results without dollar values involved.

Instead of using monetary values why not get creative and use pie charts or graphs to track your progress by percentages. You can share the results without dollar values involved.

I like that idea.

Perhaps just document net losses / gains.

can you give a example?

8 8