• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I'm amazed how people get upset in this thread

pay my taxes or fist yourself, Janet.

:shrug:

You honestly can't comprehend how or why a Canadian tax payer would find this thread upsetting?

And if you can't, I've outlined a path moving forward.

First of all my comment was towards those individuals that keep giving Gabe advice about getting a job, stop buying comics then he does the opposite and people say they are done etc

But thanks for your reply. Nice to know.

Because so many people have tried to help him - for naught. But you're right, Gabriel is gonna do what he is gonna do and expecting him to follow our advice is clearly pointless.

bingo.gif

:bump:

Good luck with the job Gabriel. Remember, grin and bear it and consider an entry level job as a stepping stone to a better job. And don't forget to stuff some crispy chicken in your shorts.....

Haha thanks if I don't get this job I'll keep applying to them till I get one and yes I'll have something nice on.

You honestly can't comprehend how or why a Canadian tax payer would find this thread upsetting?

No matter how upsetting this may be, telling someone to go fist themselves is uncalled for.

Address the problem, not the spectators.

Not sure of the laws in Canada, but what would happen if the Welfare Board found out about Gabriel's comic habit? Not like they would have far to look if they needed to do some digging.

In Ontario, we do have a Welfare Fraud "Hotline"

http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/fraud.aspx

I am not 100% sure if what Gabe is doing is 'technically' fraud though. Kind of like the same thing where you see people get their checks and head to the LCBO or convenience store and drop a wad of cash on Nevada tickets.

Now, if he is not reporting his comic sales, under reporting what he pays in rent, etc., well then we may be in different territory. I'm no lawyer though. The downside of all this is that while what he is doing is not "right", it may not be illegal and/or fraudulent either.

I report what I sell, buy and pay rent on I don't leave anything out and I don't under report either.

:eyeroll:

No matter how upsetting this may be, telling someone to go fist themselves is uncalled for.

You are 100% right. My comment was uncalled for.

:headbang:

I love a good mea culpa, shows character. Anyone who feels otherwise can go fist themselves.

And Gabe, I worked at a Burger Chef for a few years. There is no shame in working a crappy job but there is shame in working that job crappily. Do a good job if they hire you even though it will be unattractive work.

Edited by Bird

I love a good mea culpa, shows character. Anyone who feels otherwise can go fist themselves.

And Gabe, I worked at a Burger Chef for a few years. There is no shame in working a crappy job but there is shame in working that job crappily. Do a good job if they hire you even though it will be unattractive work.

Thanks though they must be desperate because they moved the interview earlier.

No track pants! :sumo:

No hoodie! :sumo: :sumo:

Dress for success. Button up shirt, slacks, belt, tie, and clean shoes. Trim your nails (you'd be working with food...it matters), comb your hair, and SMILE :grin: . Look like you WANT to be there.

When I worked restaurants, I hired every interviewee that followed these steps (sub out the clothes for something appropriate for the ladies). You can't train someone to be friendly or hard-working, but you can train them on just about everything else. I hired friendly and hard-working people and trained them to be good restaurant employees to great success.

You don't need experience, just the right attitude.

Not nearly as desperate as you should be at this point.

Gabe,

In addition to what the others said here is my advice for the job interview. I would not volunteer information freely. Do not ramble on but answer the questions clearly, honestly, and without attempts at humor or use of profanity. Focus on trying to show that you will be a serious asset and a hard worker. And admit to being nervous if you mess up a little.

Good luck.

Edited by Bird

I see he bumped his WTB thread yesterday.

I see he bumped his WTB thread yesterday.

You're right I did but those comics aren't for me.

Gabe,

In addition to what the others said here is my advice for the job interview. I would not volunteer information freely. Do not ramble on but answer the questions clearly, honestly, and without attempts at humor or use of profanity. Focus on trying to show that you will be a serious asset and a hard worker. And admit to being nervous if you mess up a little.

Good luck.

Thanks I don't swear so that's not a problem.

Agreed.

Dress for success. Button up shirt, slacks, belt, tie, and clean shoes. Trim your nails (you'd be working with food...it matters), comb your hair, and SMILE :grin: . Look like you WANT to be there.

When I worked restaurants, I hired every interviewee that followed these steps (sub out the clothes for something appropriate for the ladies). You can't train someone to be friendly or hard-working, but you can train them on just about everything else. I hired friendly and hard-working people and trained them to be good restaurant employees to great success.

Thanks I did dress for success.

Wonderful, life is about becoming a better person and it sounds like you're making positive steps.

Two things:

1. Follow up with the interviewer. Drop an email if you have his/her email contact, or call and leave a message. This is an "old school" expectation, that HR managers report is a dwindling practice.

Thank them for the chance to interview, tell them it was nice meeting them, followup on some item that might have been outstanding or was left up in the air. Just a quick connection. It reiterates your interest in the job, and shows your professionalism.

2. Once you hear back from the hiring manager (about whether you got the job) ask for feedback.

Treat this as constructive criticism. You have to be very polite about it because managers can be uneasy giving critique out of fear that it will create some conflict. Phrases like " Do you have an feedback on areas I should look to improve in my presentation or interview?" Or something along the lines of "can you share with me what the deciding factor was that determined who you chose to hire?"

All of the information will help you refine your application process and make you a better applicant next time. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you!

8 8