• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

No track pants! :sumo:

No hoodie! :sumo: :sumo:

Dress for success. Button up shirt, slacks, belt, tie, and clean shoes. Trim your nails (you'd be working with food...it matters), comb your hair, and SMILE :grin: . Look like you WANT to be there.

When I worked restaurants, I hired every interviewee that followed these steps (sub out the clothes for something appropriate for the ladies). You can't train someone to be friendly or hard-working, but you can train them on just about everything else. I hired friendly and hard-working people and trained them to be good restaurant employees to great success.

You don't need experience, just the right attitude.

Thanks I did dress for success.

Wonderful, life is about becoming a better person and it sounds like you're making positive steps.

There's so much to learn and I don't want to be stuck in one place the rest of my life which is why I want to change that.

KFC is not so bad, the nice thing is that the competition for advancement is pretty weak, so it's easy to move up the ladder quick in fast food.

You could be managing the place in a couple years

Haha thanks I've seen some managers get paid well and others don't but I job I something I need anyway.

Dress for success. Button up shirt, slacks, belt, tie, and clean shoes. Trim your nails (you'd be working with food...it matters), comb your hair, and SMILE :grin: . Look like you WANT to be there.

When I worked restaurants, I hired every interviewee that followed these steps (sub out the clothes for something appropriate for the ladies). You can't train someone to be friendly or hard-working, but you can train them on just about everything else. I hired friendly and hard-working people and trained them to be good restaurant employees to great success.

Two things:

1. Follow up with the interviewer. Drop an email if you have his/her email contact, or call and leave a message. This is an "old school" expectation, that HR managers report is a dwindling practice.

Thank them for the chance to interview, tell them it was nice meeting them, followup on some item that might have been outstanding or was left up in the air. Just a quick connection. It reiterates your interest in the job, and shows your professionalism.

2. Once you hear back from the hiring manager (about whether you got the job) ask for feedback.

Treat this as constructive criticism. You have to be very polite about it because managers can be uneasy giving critique out of fear that it will create some conflict. Phrases like " Do you have an feedback on areas I should look to improve in my presentation or interview?" Or something along the lines of "can you share with me what the deciding factor was that determined who you chose to hire?"

All of the information will help you refine your application process and make you a better applicant next time. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I'll do that thanks I thought they once you finish the interview you leave it at that till they call or email you back as sending a email back would appear overeager.

Interview update

Not sure if I said this or not but I was really nervous during the interview and I kept screwing up what I wanted to say.

Archie #4 Update

The comic as I thought was a scam I was more hopeful and decided to give someone a chance so I'll be opening a case against him.

Sold Comics

ASM 361 CGC 9.8 Copy 4

Plans

Sell my archie 320, ASM 300 and jla #1

Get my money back from the archie #4

call the po and see what's up with the comics I sent a while back

Interview update

Not sure if I said this or not but I was really nervous during the interview and I kept screwing up what I wanted to say.

You could always allude to this in your followup call.

"Wanted to thank you for the chance to sit and interview for the job. It was my first interview in a while, I think I was a littler nervous! Any way I'm very excited about the possibility of working with the team there, and I hope to hear back from you soon"

Two things:

1. Follow up with the interviewer. Drop an email if you have his/her email contact, or call and leave a message. This is an "old school" expectation, that HR managers report is a dwindling practice.

Thank them for the chance to interview, tell them it was nice meeting them, followup on some item that might have been outstanding or was left up in the air. Just a quick connection. It reiterates your interest in the job, and shows your professionalism.

2. Once you hear back from the hiring manager (about whether you got the job) ask for feedback.

Treat this as constructive criticism. You have to be very polite about it because managers can be uneasy giving critique out of fear that it will create some conflict. Phrases like " Do you have an feedback on areas I should look to improve in my presentation or interview?" Or something along the lines of "can you share with me what the deciding factor was that determined who you chose to hire?"

All of the information will help you refine your application process and make you a better applicant next time. Im keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I'll do that thanks I thought they once you finish the interview you leave it at that till they call or email you back as sending a email back would appear overeager.

Employers WANT eager and even overeager employees.

Two things:

Employers WANT eager and even overeager employees.

I'll keep that in mind about being overeager.

Interview update

You could always allude to this in your followup call.

"Wanted to thank you for the chance to sit and interview for the job. It was my first interview in a while, I think I was a littler nervous! Any way I'm very excited about the possibility of working with the team there, and I hope to hear back from you soon"

I'll try that and see what he says.

Gabe, my last job was a sales rep for soccer equipment and sold to soccer clubs all over the states. I had to do a lot of research to find these clubs and their contact information to offer our products. I have turned this ability towards looking for information on products and how/where to find them. I do quite well.

There are small shows that are in my area from Portland, OR to north of Seattle that I attend for both sales and purchases. Just to reiterate, I have found at these kinds of shows, for $1 or less, NM 87 & 98, Nyx 3 & 4, and much more. I have also set up at these shows to sell. Tables only cost me $25-35, but I make $300-500 in sales, and pick up a lot of great books.

This last Saturday I set up in a mall that was running a sports card collectible show. I sold almost $350 in merchandise, bought some things, and made so more contacts. I pass out by card and talk to people for networking.

At one of these show a man walks in with two tubs of books to sell them for under $1.00 each and he had ASM 121, 122, 129, Hulk 181, and more.

I have people all over my area who know me from years of being in the circuit of collectibles.

I agree that we can't go head on with most of the dealers on this board, or the like, so I look elsewhere and it works.

Last summer I went to a 304 community sale in Seattle where one house advertised comics. They were 3/$1.00 and I walked out of there with a lot of great books, The best one was ASM 300 in NM/M condition. I must have bought around 100 books from him and none of them valued at less than $10.

I found this, while researching for you.

West Toronto Card & Collector Show

1677 Wilson Ave in Toronto, Ontario

www.westtorontocardshow.com/

www.facebook.com/pages/The-West-Toronto-Card-Collector- Show/674859219203750

Looks like this is a once a month that features all kinds of collectibles. This is a great start to networking. Once you become a regular you should be able to get in on some inside tracks to where people may get their books and make some great contacts as you converse with other dealers and customers. I belong to a great network here and greatly cherish it.

At the shows that I set up at there usually is a table where fliers are that advertise other shows.

mall%20show%20b_zpsszk5ds6o.jpg

mall%20show%20f_zpseznsz7an.jpg

Gabe, my last job was a sales rep for soccer equipment and sold to soccer clubs all over the states. I had to do a lot of research to find these clubs and their contact information to offer our products. I have turned this ability towards looking for information on products and how/where to find them. I do quite well.

There are small shows that are in my area from Portland, OR to north of Seattle that I attend for both sales and purchases. Just to reiterate, I have found at these kinds of shows, for $1 or less, NM 87 & 98, Nyx 3 & 4, and much more. I have also set up at these shows to sell. Tables only cost me $25-35, but I make $300-500 in sales, and pick up a lot of great books.

This last Saturday I set up in a mall that was running a sports card collectible show. I sold almost $350 in merchandise, bought some things, and made so more contacts. I pass out by card and talk to people for networking.

At one of these show a man walks in with two tubs of books to sell them for under $1.00 each and he had ASM 121, 122, 129, Hulk 181, and more.

I have people all over my area who know me from years of being in the circuit of collectibles.

I agree that we can't go head on with most of the dealers on this board, or the like, so I look elsewhere and it works.

Last summer I went to a 304 community sale in Seattle where one house advertised comics. They were 3/$1.00 and I walked out of there with a lot of great books, The best one was ASM 300 in NM/M condition. I must have bought around 100 books from him and none of them valued at less than $10.

Looks like this is a once a month that features all kinds of collectibles. This is a great start to networking. Once you become a regular you should be able to get in on some inside tracks to where people may get their books and make some great contacts as you converse with other dealers and customers. I belong to a great network here and greatly cherish it.

At the shows that I set up at there usually is a table where fliers are that advertise other shows.

That is great for you but I don't think filling Gabe's head with thoughts of finding ASM #129's and Hulk #181's for a dollar is all that helpful at this point.

Yes, there are TONS of shows in The Greater Toronto Area and other areas around Hamilton, Niagara - This is true. Gabe would likely have to spend $$$ to take a bus just to get to those particular shows - I don't think he has a car. Gabe can correct me if I'm wrong. I am not particularly sure what is going on in the Niagara area, but I am sure there are quite a few smaller shows he could attend but MOST of the advice has been to SCALE BACK on his buying and trading activities, not escalate them.

Again, to be clear, I am not saying just because he is on social assistance he can't have any fun, but to put in the kind of work you are suggesting, well let's just say his time and energy, for now, would probably be better spent elsewhere.

...But we all know he won't "really" stop and this kind of stuff only adds fuel to the flame.

2c

That's awesome I need to get a job first though haha but yeah I've seen it on kijiji I never thought many people show up there.

Ancaster Fairgrounds

March 6th, 2016

June 5th, 2016

630 Trinity Rd S, Jerseyville, ON L0R 1R0, Canada

ancasterfair.ca

+1 905-648-6198

Here is a picture from their website,

ca%20ic_zpstoquewnn.png

They do have a awesome range of comics especially that bat232 <3

That is great for you but I don't think filling Gabe's head with thoughts of finding ASM #129's and Hulk #181's for a dollar is all that helpful at this point.

Yes, there are TONS of shows in The Greater Toronto Area and other areas around Hamilton, Niagara - This is true. Gabe would likely have to spend $$$ to take a bus just to get to those particular shows - I don't think he has a car. Gabe can correct me if I'm wrong. I am not particularly sure what is going on in the Niagara area, but I am sure there are quite a few smaller shows he could attend but MOST of the advice has been to SCALE BACK on his buying and trading activities, not escalate them.

Again, to be clear, I am not saying just because he is on social assistance he can't have any fun, but to put in the kind of work you are suggesting, well let's just say his time and energy, for now, would probably be better spent elsewhere.

...But we all know he won't "really" stop and this kind of stuff only adds fuel to the flame.

2c

I agree. I should have been more clear. I wasn't trying to get his hopes up. I was showing more toned down venues to learn to deal with people and network rather than trying to trade to unknowns. My point in finding high price books is that it is possible to find these in the wild if you look rather than chasing the ones that are already high priced. I don't chase those books. I sell like I do and just happen upon these because of the work I put into it. Work on one and be ready for the other.

If Gabe is still mindful to deal in comics then I would like to try to give better choices.

Archie #4 update

Apparently he's been on vacation on decided not to tell me an he said he's sending it on Saturday on as soon as as I get the comic I'll end the claim but I'll tell him to have better communication next time as having zero feedbacks was bad enough haha.

Sold Comics

ASM 361 Copy #4

Resume update

I went to get resume help with my case worker and he noticed all your guys suggestions and he asked me who helped me with this and I said some nice people I know. He then told me to simplify it because you guys made my experience sound awesome haha but he said it will take him about 3 days since he'll take everything apart and use what he knows, what I've told him and your guys suggestions I'm excited to see my resume.

He also said that my interview skills suck and because I didn't finish college I shouldn't put it on there. Also he said I should mark my highest education as grade 12 I was under the impression that checking that off doesn't specify if you got your diploma or not.

Archie #4 update

Apparently he's been on vacation on decided not to tell me an he said he's sending it on Saturday on as soon as as I get the comic I'll end the claim but I'll tell him to have better communication next time as having zero feedbacks was bad enough haha.

Sold Comics

ASM 361 Copy #4

Resume update

I went to get resume help with my case worker and he noticed all your guys suggestions and he asked me who helped me with this and I said some nice people I know. He then told me to simplify it because you guys made my experience sound awesome haha but he said it will take him about 3 days since he'll take everything apart and use what he knows, what I've told him and your guys suggestions I'm excited to see my resume.

He also said that my interview skills suck and because I didn't finish college I shouldn't put it on there. Also he said I should mark my highest education as grade 12 I was under the impression that checking that off doesn't specify if you got your diploma or not.

Some college is better than no college, not sure why he'd tell you to take it off.

Archie #4 update

Sold Comics

ASM 361 Copy #4

Resume update

Some college is better than no college, not sure why he'd tell you to take it off.

Gabe, how long were you enrolled in college? Did you get one year in? Regardless, should probably trust the guy who does this for a living?

8 8