• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

You started this thread almost 2 years ago.

I would occasionally take a look to see this experiment.

After 2 years it's been nothing short of disaster.

Businesses take an average of 2 years to be successful

and that's with doing things properly.

Sadly kiddo, it's time to find another path.

You clearly don't have what it takes and that was evident by

about page 40 or so.

You're no entrepreneur and its my opinion that your work ethic

is lacking. That seems to be normal with your generation these days.

I wish you luck to be happy and not harm others.

Where did you get that info? I've been told it's 5-7 years

I think restaurants are like 5.

I don't think this counts as a business, but it does count as a failure.

Tons of people on the boards put in between 1-5 hrs a week as a side hobby to flip a few comics a year, and easily turn $1000-$5000 PROFIT without putting in more than $500-$800. And those same people have full time (most likely non-minimum wage) non-comic jobs, kids, families, gf's, school, etc. You've put in $11,000 in two years to lose $1000+. There are very very few actual real life RICH comic people who will spend $11,000 in two years on comics, and you've done it while on government assistance with a learning, mental, emotional problems living with your parents in CANADA.

Can you tell me who the people are that put in 1-5 hours a week and only $500-$800 that flip a few comics a year and make $1000-$5000 profit? I would like to bend their ears a little as I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I don't mean they're making that much a week, just 'working' working that much a week, I mean over the course of a year $1-5K. Not too big of a deal to make 2-5x their investment I think. The hourly pay may not be great, but its assumed that one is having fun at the same time I think. It usually just takes one or two big 'finds' per year.

Edited by Revat

about page 40 or so.

Don't listen Gabe. It's your destiny.

its the friendliness and politeness of Canadians that probably got him into this mess. Everyone was too polite to steer him towards plumbing or air condition repair or flower arrangement at an early age.

Two years of, 'don't do it Gabe' and he's still determined to buy and sell comics.

Why waste our breath trying to change his mind.

about page 40 or so.

Tons of people on the boards put in between 1-5 hrs a week as a side hobby to flip a few comics a year, and easily turn $1000-$5000 PROFIT without putting in more than $500-$800. And those same people have full time (most likely non-minimum wage) non-comic jobs, kids, families, gf's, school, etc. You've put in $11,000 in two years to lose $1000+. There are very very few actual real life RICH comic people who will spend $11,000 in two years on comics, and you've done it while on government assistance with a learning, mental, emotional problems living with your parents in CANADA.

Can you tell me who the people are that put in 1-5 hours a week and only $500-$800 that flip a few comics a year and make $1000-$5000 profit? I would like to bend their ears a little as I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I don't mean they're making that much a week, just 'working' working that much a week, I mean over the course of a year $1-5K. Not too big of a deal to make 2-5x their investment I think. The hourly pay may not be great, but its assumed that one is having fun at the same time I think. It usually just takes one or two big 'finds' per year.

I'm just wondering if you could point me in the right direction as I didn't realize it was that easy.

[]

I calculate things like this

How much I bought - How much I sold = Profit

I just include losses for myself to see how well I'm doing and yes every fee is already calculated into this.

Where in the hell did you learn that Expenses - Revenue = Profit???

It's the other way around!!. Otherwise if your expense is $100 and your revenue is $150, then your profit will be a NEGATIVE number (i.e. a loss).

Come one man, this is BASIC BASIC accounting! Stop everything and start LEARNING.

And like I posted a page or so ago.....

Why the heck do you use a different tallying system for "Little books" compared to your "Big books"???

What's with all the extra additional numbers in the Little Books rows????

Little Books

Bought $2455.12+247.01+699.53=$3401.68

Sold $4007.43+1679.24=$5686.67

Losses $1079.43+637.19= $1716.62

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Where do all those extra numbers come from???

I don't have my business books on me anymore but I was always taught this

Amount paid - Amount sold = Profit

If that's not how it goes then I can fix that so basically I do the opposite of what I've been doing? Those numbers aren't extra at all it was calculated the max number my calculator count count at that time so I wrote do each one then added them.

the correct way to calculate profit it is: GO TAKE A BASIC BUSINESS CLASS. If you can't pass it, business is not for you.

its like you're trying to be a pro soccer player because you are physically capable of running and kicking a ball, but don't even know the rules of the game. And yes occasionally you can kick the ball in the right direction, but mostly its wrong and occasionally you get run over. Yes I guess you could keep running around the field and pick up some of the rules if you're an observant person and people are trying to tell to yell at you from the sidelines, but no rational person can possibly think that's the best way to become a pro soccer player. Why not take some time to understand some of the rules? Or if its apparent that your kicking isn't strong and you don't run very fast, why not work on those first before you get onto the field? If you never bother to learn the rules or learn to kick accurately, you will never be a pro soccer player.

for the Canadians or other internationals, soccer = football (non-American) = futbol = footie

I need to get better at the calculations and formulas I know that much

Calculations and formulas??? It addition and subtraction not something you have to go to school for unless you're five years old. Seriously, for a person your age to be so lost is just pathetic. I know you want to be a success in life but the reality is you're probably going to be a lifer as a dish washer unless something worse comes up. I really sympathize for your parents.

brutally harsh, but brings up a great point.

Not everyone can be good at everything, whether it be math, reading, music, art, fighting, running, listening, etc., though all of those things can be worked on and improved over time, with a LOT of effort. More valuable than understanding of math is a self awareness of one's strengths, weaknesses, capabilities, and limitations.

The OP doesn't appear to recognize his failings as a result of his limitations, but rather a lack of repetitions from which to learn from. Some things are like that, some things are not. Since you don't appear to have the sense to see that, please talk to someone you know, love, trust and think is genuinely smart to help you see those things.

You might think the business math we're throwing around is tough, or requires a math wiz, but honestly most people find that math painfully simple and intuitively understand it without ever being taught. I'm not sure if that's ever been made clear to you. IT IS BRUTALLY SIMPLE, and if you never master it you will never be a success at selling comics or any type of sell owned/self run business

BUT now knowing that (assuming you accept that), there's only three rational outcomes.

1. You honestly, genuinely want to be successful so bad, that you are willing to work 5x harder to LEARN THE MATH, whether its going to school, getting a tutor, going to the library and starting from the beginning of grade school math, asking your family for help, anything and everything. I was being sarcastic when I said you could just keep buying and selling and you'd magically learn math. You won't, especially you.

2. You decide there's too much math and decide to pursue any other job/career that doesn't involve math: telemarketing, customer service, uber driver, dishwasher, delivery person, chef (some math maybe), janitor, gardener, farm hand (don't knock this, can be a super lucrative job), truck driver, door-to-door sales, etc. With hard work, these can all be very lucrative.

2a. You've stated before you wanted to be a voice actor. Did you even do everything you could to do that? Make recordings of yourself reading things day in and day out (and then listen of course)? Practice inflections? Mimic recordings of other actors? Read scripts along with muted televisions? Read out loud in church or school? Star in school plays? Practice accents? Did you have lessons or coaching?

3. You can continue to ignore it. And your life will never get better. Which is fine, if you're satisfied with it. You've gotta roof over your head, I assume you don't starve, you've got enough $$ to play video games, surf the net, and lose a couple hundred here and there selling comics. Its not a terrible life, you've got farmworkers in California picking fruit in the sun for 12hrs per day for less than minimum wage who have to clothe and feed their kids and sleep in 1 bedroom shacks. You've got an ok life, nothing wrong with being satisfied there.

Its just that you claim to want more...

Again, I/we don't need answers to any of these, would strongly prefer silent action to vociferous inaction.

I'm tired of my limitations holding me back, I'm tired of my learning disability getting in the way, I'm tired of people looking down on me, I'm tired of people take their abilities for granted, I'm tired of the state I'm in, I'm tired of people thinking I'm being lazy, making this up or being plain stupid. I have stated many time that "What you find obvious and simple to do" isn't the case for me.

I'm going with the 1st option you gave me and guess what? I asked a teacher for basic math she laughed and refused it. I'm willing to work hard on math to make this work, I want to be smart, I want to be as smart as my friends in math.

2 a) When I was doing voice acting I just did my best to copy what they did. Inflections were hard for me because at times I didn't know the context of the grammar I was reading. I used to print out -script and read them. I had no lessons or coaching nor did I star in any plays.

I did however do a couple demo's to get a evaluation and they said I have a clear voice with no problem but it's very rough and take a lot of work to become top game, that's not even speaking about learning grammar and the dozens of other things that they do.

So, what are you going to do .. accept what she said .. ask another teacher .. or give-up?

You seriously need to get the skills in order for you to be able to do what you want to do: sell/flip comics .. and I, as well as many, many others urge you to do the following .. just for now: Better your educational and personal/social skills etc. Seriously, Gabe. We know how much you love comics, but right now .. this seriously is not what you should be concentrating on. Comics will never go away, but you have zero chance of accomplishing what you want to achieve if you do not stop now .. and take care of your basic skills. Come back to it in a few years time, when you have a few life-skills under your belt. I can't emphasise this enough. It's your life and your decision-making, of course; but if you can see things from our side of the keyboard .. you're just going your own way .. and it's not a good way. Feel free to ignore the advice, but .. if I was you .. I'd take it.

No I'm not giving up and most videos I can pick up but others it's better for me to go over it with someone and for a tutor I would need to look for a community college or something. I know they have a course for free where they teach you math and English but since I passed grade 9 and 10 English I'm not sure but can always ask. For comics I need to learn basic skills like math, common sense, grammar and I know there's a way to make these work simultaneously and I'll work on my personal and social skills too.

[]

I calculate things like this

How much I bought - How much I sold = Profit

I just include losses for myself to see how well I'm doing and yes every fee is already calculated into this.

Where in the hell did you learn that Expenses - Revenue = Profit???

It's the other way around!!. Otherwise if your expense is $100 and your revenue is $150, then your profit will be a NEGATIVE number (i.e. a loss).

Come one man, this is BASIC BASIC accounting! Stop everything and start LEARNING.

And like I posted a page or so ago.....

Why the heck do you use a different tallying system for "Little books" compared to your "Big books"???

What's with all the extra additional numbers in the Little Books rows????

Little Books

Bought $2455.12+247.01+699.53=$3401.68

Sold $4007.43+1679.24=$5686.67

Losses $1079.43+637.19= $1716.62

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Where do all those extra numbers come from???

I don't have my business books on me anymore but I was always taught this

Amount paid - Amount sold = Profit

If that's not how it goes then I can fix that so basically I do the opposite of what I've been doing? Those numbers aren't extra at all it was calculated the max number my calculator count count at that time so I wrote do each one then added them.

the correct way to calculate profit it is: GO TAKE A BASIC BUSINESS CLASS. If you can't pass it, business is not for you.

its like you're trying to be a pro soccer player because you are physically capable of running and kicking a ball, but don't even know the rules of the game. And yes occasionally you can kick the ball in the right direction, but mostly its wrong and occasionally you get run over. Yes I guess you could keep running around the field and pick up some of the rules if you're an observant person and people are trying to tell to yell at you from the sidelines, but no rational person can possibly think that's the best way to become a pro soccer player. Why not take some time to understand some of the rules? Or if its apparent that your kicking isn't strong and you don't run very fast, why not work on those first before you get onto the field? If you never bother to learn the rules or learn to kick accurately, you will never be a pro soccer player.

for the Canadians or other internationals, soccer = football (non-American) = futbol = footie

I need to get better at the calculations and formulas I know that much

Calculations and formulas??? It addition and subtraction not something you have to go to school for unless you're five years old. Seriously, for a person your age to be so lost is just pathetic. I know you want to be a success in life but the reality is you're probably going to be a lifer as a dish washer unless something worse comes up. I really sympathize for your parents.

brutally harsh, but brings up a great point.

Not everyone can be good at everything, whether it be math, reading, music, art, fighting, running, listening, etc., though all of those things can be worked on and improved over time, with a LOT of effort. More valuable than understanding of math is a self awareness of one's strengths, weaknesses, capabilities, and limitations.

The OP doesn't appear to recognize his failings as a result of his limitations, but rather a lack of repetitions from which to learn from. Some things are like that, some things are not. Since you don't appear to have the sense to see that, please talk to someone you know, love, trust and think is genuinely smart to help you see those things.

You might think the business math we're throwing around is tough, or requires a math wiz, but honestly most people find that math painfully simple and intuitively understand it without ever being taught. I'm not sure if that's ever been made clear to you. IT IS BRUTALLY SIMPLE, and if you never master it you will never be a success at selling comics or any type of sell owned/self run business

BUT now knowing that (assuming you accept that), there's only three rational outcomes.

1. You honestly, genuinely want to be successful so bad, that you are willing to work 5x harder to LEARN THE MATH, whether its going to school, getting a tutor, going to the library and starting from the beginning of grade school math, asking your family for help, anything and everything. I was being sarcastic when I said you could just keep buying and selling and you'd magically learn math. You won't, especially you.

2. You decide there's too much math and decide to pursue any other job/career that doesn't involve math: telemarketing, customer service, uber driver, dishwasher, delivery person, chef (some math maybe), janitor, gardener, farm hand (don't knock this, can be a super lucrative job), truck driver, door-to-door sales, etc. With hard work, these can all be very lucrative.

2a. You've stated before you wanted to be a voice actor. Did you even do everything you could to do that? Make recordings of yourself reading things day in and day out (and then listen of course)? Practice inflections? Mimic recordings of other actors? Read scripts along with muted televisions? Read out loud in church or school? Star in school plays? Practice accents? Did you have lessons or coaching?

3. You can continue to ignore it. And your life will never get better. Which is fine, if you're satisfied with it. You've gotta roof over your head, I assume you don't starve, you've got enough $$ to play video games, surf the net, and lose a couple hundred here and there selling comics. Its not a terrible life, you've got farmworkers in California picking fruit in the sun for 12hrs per day for less than minimum wage who have to clothe and feed their kids and sleep in 1 bedroom shacks. You've got an ok life, nothing wrong with being satisfied there.

Its just that you claim to want more...

Again, I/we don't need answers to any of these, would strongly prefer silent action to vociferous inaction.

I'm tired of my limitations holding me back, I'm tired of my learning disability getting in the way, I'm tired of people looking down on me, I'm tired of people take their abilities for granted, I'm tired of the state I'm in, I'm tired of people thinking I'm being lazy, making this up or being plain stupid. I have stated many time that "What you find obvious and simple to do" isn't the case for me.

I'm going with the 1st option you gave me and guess what? I asked a teacher for basic math she laughed and refused it. I'm willing to work hard on math to make this work, I want to be smart, I want to be as smart as my friends in math.

2 a) When I was doing voice acting I just did my best to copy what they did. Inflections were hard for me because at times I didn't know the context of the grammar I was reading. I used to print out -script and read them. I had no lessons or coaching nor did I star in any plays.

I did however do a couple demo's to get a evaluation and they said I have a clear voice with no problem but it's very rough and take a lot of work to become top game, that's not even speaking about learning grammar and the dozens of other things that they do.

Gabe, this isn't that difficult. So what if that teacher refused to teach you basic math. There are youtube videos on how to do practically everything. My son had a question on solving a quadratic equation...WTF is that??? Guess what. He found out how to solve it on youtube. The wonderful part of watching a video is that if you don't understand what was said on the video, just rewind the dang thing and watch it over.

As far as your career, your situation sucks but unless you're independently wealthy, you're going to have to find a decent job that can support your lifestyle before you go off and do something you want to do. You have to pay your dues. Some people make it but lots don't and that's part of life. You can't have everything in life right now but learn to be patient and take things slow and things might change. You're taking a "shoot first, aim later" approach and that could be what's causing you some of your frustration.

You're right and can and I'll be able to grasp most concepts but for some I'll need to go over it with someone.

What makes you feel like you deserve a job that you love and pays well?

Why do you deserve it more than the person working full time and going to school full time? Or the person working 2 jobs to take care of his family?

Why do you deserve it more than the soldier fighting for his country?

Why do you deserve it more than the soccer player born with innate skills and crazy work ethic?

Why do you deserve it more than the PHD student who has done 15 years of schooling AFTER high school including research that might actually HELP someone someday?

Why do you deserve it more than every other person who finished college? or trade school? Or served in the military? OR doesn't have emotional issues?

Do you deserve it more than every single person with more business experience, sense, education, or experience than you?

Do you even deserve it more than the son who's dad buys him a comic book store? Why or why not?

Why on earth would you be entitled to a job you enjoy AND pays well? What if you had a passion for something but it didn't pay well? Or what if you had a valuable talent, but you didn't enjoy it?

You can find joy, honor (more than you'll ever have), and respect in ANY honest job, done diligently and with pride.

And if you want to find something you enjoy but pays well, why the eff are you even remotely interested in comics? How many full time comic dealers on the planet do you think pull down six figures? And how many are in Canada? Do you have any idea? You probably have a better shot at joining the CFL or being a rodeo clown.

You are currently a million miles away from even THINKING about a job that pays well that you enjoy. You can work towards one, but your level of entitlement (especially when coupled with your political views) is absurdly disheartening and frustrating. You're not operating in a reality that actually exists. You're operating in an addicts spiral, exacerbated by mental, emotional, and learning issues, mixed with healthy doses of questionable (at best) entitlement world views.

I never said I should get one immediately and without any effort but everyone deserves something career wise that makes them happy. I'm not responsible and shouldn't be responsible for the actions of others like all those examples you mentioned, I never forced their choices upon them. I'm interested in comics because I can make money with them and I read some of them as well. Again you're saying it like I want a amazing job now and that's not right it's something to work towards. I don't talk politics on here for more then one reason.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

24580991749_4c8e26c550_b.jpg

You deserve what you earn in life.

Anything else are gifts, gravy and icing on the cake.

Why do you keep thinking I'm talking about the present?

Past, present, or future, the statement "everyone deserves something career-wise that makes them happy" is never true. Believing it is true is why many people here have said you have an entitled attitude.

You don't deserve a career that makes you happy simply by existing no matter how old you are. People who have careers that make them happy have earned their position in life through hard work and patience.

This is what jcjames is trying to convey to you.

Finally, it seems there are some here that are here simply to poke fun at or just flat out insult Gabe. If it's not constructive or at least funny (Gabe seems to have thick skin and a decent sense of humor), maybe try not to post here. And leave the election talk at the door lest this thread get scrubbed.

Thanks for explaining that I always wondered why no matter what I said James would say I was entitled, having a sense of humor is needed in this world you can't be serious all the time or people won't want to be around you.

Not even lip service to the main point this time? :pullhair:

Acknowledge the fact that you (or me, or anyone) don't inherently deserve a career that makes you happy...such a situation is earned. This acknowledgement is typically the first step on the road to success. It seems like you're not even prepared to start down that road yet. :(

I will admit it. No one deserves a career that makes them happy unless they earned it.

Do you also admit that there are millions of people who hate their job but do it because they need to keep a roof over their head, pay for bills, etc??? Welcome to the real world, Gabe. That is what most people do.

Yes but those are the type of people that refuse to change because they've settled in their positions and say that they can't leave for one reason or another.

.. Gabe, if you lived in the same reality as the rest of us .. you'd know what you just wrote is absolute compostable_fertilizer.

No it's not I've worked with many people like that and that's not to say everyone's like that but the ones I've spoken with are.

Seriously, it is. You live in your own little bubble .. cossetted away, stuck in your own reality. But it's honestly not how the world works.

ok OP, lets assume that there are people who are successful and enjoy their jobs, and they're sooo easy to find. You currently have no career, and can't decide what you want to do, but know that you want to be successful and enjoy your career.

How did those people choose their jobs, how did they prepare for their careers, what is their training, background, experiences that led them to those careers? Have you investigated, should you? How did they determine what they enjoyed? How much was pay a factor in their decision making? Howabout innate skill?

What do you have in common with those people that are successful and enjoy their jobs? What can you personally work on to be more like those people?

Have you researched any of this? Why or why not?

I don't think it was so easy to find a career.

I talked to people and what I remember is they get educated, got training in what they want to do. Most of the people I've spoken to say they only do that to pay the bills but those that are happy said that you have to love what you do everyday, through thick and thin. Pay was a big factor but I had some say they rather take a pay cut and do what they enjoy.

I'm not sure about innate skills and the only thing I have in common is that they were determined to become successful. They also said that they never stop learning and improving because that puts them behind.

Edited by uchiha101

about page 40 or so.

What you're speaking of are my eventually goals because they understand leverage and how to do multiple things at once, using less money and still making a great amount of profit.

about page 40 or so.

I've just checked it and it really depends what business you're in

Voice acting: 5-7 years

Restaurant: 5 years

Regular business: 2-3 years

I'm curious to see if I can at least break even or make a profit in the next 6 months.

about page 40 or so.

its the friendliness and politeness of Canadians that probably got him into this mess. Everyone was too polite to steer him towards plumbing or air condition repair or flower arrangement at an early age.

Yes in most cases it was people sugarcoating things telling me how great I was when in reality I was terrible in it but I'm working on this one.

about page 40 or so.

Two years of, 'don't do it Gabe' and he's still determined to buy and sell comics.

Yes I'm still determined to buy and sell comics but for the past 2 years and a bit I've been making the same mistake so let's see how controlling my emotions will result in 6 months time.

about page 40 or so.

Yes I'm still determined to buy and sell comics but for the past 2 years and a bit I've been making the same mistake so let's see how controlling my emotions will result in 6 months time.

6 months? Give it another 5 years.

Had a wee bit of time to quash and read the last 1900 responses. Clearly this young fellow has a bright future in front of him as a comic book purveyor. As MJ would say, "Go get 'em, tiger!"

Thanks but I still have lots to learn before I'm satisfied with myself.

about page 40 or so.

To break even on 600 dollars?

about page 40 or so.

To break even on 600 dollars?

For your career as the future Gator or Bob Storms.

Edited by thehumantorch

about page 40 or so.

I'm just wondering if you could point me in the right direction as I didn't realize it was that easy.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8273076&fpart=22

:gossip::whistle:

I do put in more time than 1-5 hrs a week. Don't forget the space these boxes take up too. If I had an apartment I'd be up to my armpits in books. And yes, I am having fun the whole time. Otherwise, why bother.

Hey if there's one success here he's getting a view and post count on a thread. 300+ pages, I'm jealous.

about page 40 or so.

Pretty confident that a lot of guys on the board could make $1000+ in profit on a $500-800 nut given 50-250 hours over the course of a year. Hell, a lot of guys do it during setup at any given convention in the span of a few hours. I mean, I've done that walking into a random store. (shrug)

about page 40 or so.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8273076&fpart=22

:gossip::whistle:

I do put in more time than 1-5 hrs a week. Don't forget the space these boxes take up too. If I had an apartment I'd be up to my armpits in books. And yes, I am having fun the whole time. Otherwise, why bother.

Hey if there's one success here he's getting a view and post count on a thread. 300+ pages, I'm jealous.

You flatter me, you're the polar opposite of me and actually a success.

about page 40 or so.

Pretty confident that a lot of guys on the board could make $1000+ in profit on a $500-800 nut given 50-250 hours over the course of a year. Hell, a lot of guys do it during setup at any given convention in the span of a few hours. I mean, I've done that walking into a random store. (shrug)

I was joking :sorry:

8 8