• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

So you bought a phone for roughly $50 USD.

Ok, to use those "awesome apps" what are your monthly mobile fees? Or are you planning on just using the wi-fi at your parents? If so, who pays for internet at your parents house?

Also how are you "fine now" and "have money"? Two seconds ago you were going to live in a shelter...

I'm not using a data plan so I pay no monthly fees and wifi is free because of the bundle that my parents have. I've been fine it's just that I don't have enough money to cover rent plus first and last month since I owed the government money as well.

:news:

If you have to mooch wifi off of your parents plan (and probably food and other basic necessities), don't have enough money to cover rent (first and last) and now apparently owe the government money, you are not "fine" financially.

I don't mooch off anything, I used to pay 10 dollars a month for wifi and my rent includes food and utilities. The government part of it is because I got a job and they thought I was stealing money so I owe them 750 dollars.

I'm not sure how things in Canada work, but in the US your taxes are taken out already once you receive your check in most jobs. Unless you're a freelancer or contractor I'm not sure how the Govt thinks you're stealing money when you work as a dishwasher. You're under no obligation to explain this, but I'm really confused how this happened.

Taxes are taken right off your check here in most jobs as well. I am no tax man but it could have something to do with Gabe being on social assistance and then getting that part time gig and not declaring information properly on his income tax return. Just a guess.

It had nothing to do with taxes it was that they felt I didn't tell them fast enough that I got a job.

Ok, to use those "awesome apps" what are your monthly mobile fees? Or are you planning on just using the wi-fi at your parents? If so, who pays for internet at your parents house?

Also how are you "fine now" and "have money"? Two seconds ago you were going to live in a shelter...

I'm not using a data plan so I pay no monthly fees and wifi is free because of the bundle that my parents have. I've been fine it's just that I don't have enough money to cover rent plus first and last month since I owed the government money as well.

If you have to mooch wifi off of your parents plan (and probably food and other basic necessities), don't have enough money to cover rent (first and last) and now apparently owe the government money, you are not "fine" financially.

I don't mooch off anything, I used to pay 10 dollars a month for wifi and my rent includes food and utilities. The government part of it is because I got a job and they thought I was stealing money so I owe them 750 dollars.

I'm not sure how things in Canada work, but in the US your taxes are taken out already once you receive your check in most jobs. Unless you're a freelancer or contractor I'm not sure how the Govt thinks you're stealing money when you work as a dishwasher. You're under no obligation to explain this, but I'm really confused how this happened.

Taxes are taken right off your check here in most jobs as well. I am no tax man but it could have something to do with Gabe being on social assistance and then getting that part time gig and not declaring information properly on his income tax return. Just a guess.

It had nothing to do with taxes it was that they felt I didn't tell them fast enough that I got a job.

So when did you get your job and when did you actually tell them then?

I told them three times

A week after I got my job

Three after I got my job

Six weeks after I got my job

The reason why is because even though I wrote I got a job they still kept sending me money.

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

The reason why is because even though I wrote I got a job they still kept sending me money I still kept using the money they were mistakenly sending to me.

Fixed

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

The reason why is because even though I wrote I got a job they still kept sending me money.

Working for another ministry within the Ontario Government, I can see how that might happen and I assume you were on Ontario Works? If so, you are supposed to let them know "as soon as possible" and I would think you would have a a case worker? Why such a big gap between three weeks and not again until six weeks later? Did you contact your local office via phone? Just seems weird to write them and not call...

Also, as it is a computerized system, depending on the date/timing it could have just been issued via regular processing cycle depending on when notification actually occurred/received.

Regardless, one of your responsibilities is to "repay any money you received that you were not entitled to". Even if they kept sending you a check(s), what did you do with it/them? Did you spend them? If you did spend that money, you do owe them money as you spent money you were not entitled to. Simple as that.

If you just set it aside, knowing you were not entitled to it, it shouldn't have been a big deal to pay back and have zero effect on your current financial situation as it would should have just been sitting in a bank account.

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

Working for another ministry within the Ontario Government, I can see how that might happen and I assume you were on Ontario Works? If so, you are supposed to let them know "as soon as possible" and I would think you would have a a case worker? Why such a big gap between three weeks and not again until six weeks later? Did you contact your local office via phone? Just seems weird to write them and not call...

Also, as it is a computerized system, depending on the date/timing it could have just been issued via regular processing cycle depending on when notification actually occurred/received.

Regardless, one of your responsibilities is to "repay any money you received that you were not entitled to". Even if they kept sending you a check(s), what did you do with it/them? Did you spend them? If you did spend that money, you do owe them money as you spent money you were not entitled to. Simple as that.

If you just set it aside, knowing you were not entitled to it, it shouldn't have been a big deal to pay back and have zero effect on your current financial situation as it would should have just been sitting in a bank account.

But they probably sent him a cheque(s)...does that change anything?

:baiting::foryou:

Jim

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

Jim

chequemate

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

Jim

chequemate

I was using the American English spelling. But yes, "chequemate" indeed. mehlol

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

The reason why is because even though I wrote I got a job they still kept sending me money I still kept using the money they were mistakenly sending to me.

Fixed

Nice but no.

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

Yes I was on Ontario works and I didn't let them know till a week later. I went to their office since I live close to one and I was writing on the form they gave me that I found a job.

I don't remember exactly what happened but I know that I tried to return the money and for some reason charged me anyway. So after about 8 weeks they sent me a notice saying they wanted the money back but wouldn't take it from me so I spent it. That's how I'm on the payment plan but I don't know why they didn't take the money it's not like I did anything to it.

I told them three times

Three after I got my job

Jim

Direct deposit

No matter the reasons or what you type here, your actions define who you really are. I would hazard a guess that most folks are already disappointed in your comic selling actions, but knowingly spending money that wasn't yours is just down right dishonest. New low for you.

Fixed

Nice but no.

My bad Gabe, I just assumed you spent the money. I'm such a :censored: sometimes.

My sincerest apologies. :foryou:

I don't remember exactly what happened but I know that I tried to return the money and for some reason charged me anyway. So after about 8 weeks they sent me a notice saying they wanted the money back but wouldn't take it from me so I spent it. That's how I'm on the payment plan but I don't know why they didn't take the money it's not like I did anything to it.

:facepalm:

No matter the reasons or what you type here, your actions define who you really are. I would hazard a guess that most folks are already disappointed in your comic selling actions, but knowingly spending money that wasn't yours is just down right dishonest. New low for you.

Spending money that wasn't mine? Yes it wasn't mine and I tried more then once to give it back and they didn't want it and because of that I had to use the money because at that time I had no other choice if you want to consider it low then go right ahead.

When I told them what I did they didn't even care they just said they would work out a payment plan.

Spending money that wasn't mine? Yes it wasn't mine and I tried more then once to give it back and they didn't want it and because of that I had to use the money because at that time I had no other choice if you want to consider it low then go right ahead.

When I told them what I did they didn't even care they just said they would work out a payment plan.

I'm really sorry Gabe but something is NOT sounding right here...Again, I concede there could have been some administrative hiccup, but If you did the paper work correctly, if you spoke to someone or tried multiple times, this should have been ironed out long before a repayment plan was even necessary. Trust me, the government rarely "does not want its money".

Was it the Niagara OW Office?

The fact is, you KNEW it was not "yours". You should have put it in a separate account and not touched it, period. I'm curious, if you were working, why did you have no other choice but to spend the money? Was it for comics???

You didn't have to use the money, you chose to spend the money. This isn't much different than what you mentioned you did in the past about having a "high morale compass" and returning some dude's wallet that had $2k in it. Somehow it's their fault because they didn't take the money back so you had no choice but to spend the money.

:eyeroll:

You didn't have to use the money, you chose to spend the money. This isn't much different than what you mentioned you did in the past about having a "high morale compass" and returning some dude's wallet that had $2k in it. Somehow it's their fault because they didn't take the money back so you had no choice but to spend the money.

:eyeroll:

I'm glad you remember that and yes I gave the guy his money back and took nothing.

I'm really sorry Gabe but something is NOT sounding right here...Again, I concede there could have been some administrative hiccup, but If you did the paper work correctly, if you spoke to someone or tried multiple times, this should have been ironed out long before a repayment plan was even necessary. Trust me, the government rarely "does not want its money".

Was it the Niagara OW Office?

The fact is, you KNEW it was not "yours". You should have put it in a separate account and not touched it, period. I'm curious, if you were working, why did you have no other choice but to spend the money? Was it for comics???

Yes it was the Niagara OW office and this was a month before I got the job and my money I saved up from the other job was running low. I had no other choice because rent was coming up and I had nothing to pay it with. I couldn't get a loan, I begged my friends to lend me money, I begged my family to lend me some and I would pay them back, I tried to sell my stuff and nothing worked. Now if you know me and I'm begging for something then you know I'm in a sticky situation.

I didn't use the money for comics, at that time I was paying rent, my phone bill and food.

8 8