• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

so we've got a uneducated guy with admitted mental, emotional, learning problems with no steady job who lives at home who is not only failing at flipping comics, but also coins, cards, and video games. And lost tons of money in the first few years. And lives in Canada. And doesn't understand any business concepts well. And can't do math on the fly. And doesn't do well with grammar. And doesn't have a great memory. And can't post proper listings or take reasonable pictures or grade especially well. And might come from generational poverty (I know this isn't an excuse, but I can attest that it is a real thing that can have real impact).

But won't stop trying to flip MULTIPLE types of collectibles. Did you basically say "What did I like as a kid? I must be an expert in those things, so I'm gonna make my money flipping them!" Because that's what it feels like.

We've gone down a pretty dark and deep spiral at this point. I would say multiple types of professional help are the best chance, but I'm certainly not professional enough to provide a diagnosis.

I've been out before, and came back in. Its like trying to change the mind of hardline voter in this election. Sometimes, it just can't be done, even if you logically prove they're acting against their own self interest.

OP, I've already given you all the best I have in previous posts, so I'll leave you with these: read a book, do some pushups, keep it clean, stay off drugs, listen to some 2Pac or Biggie. Be excellent to one another.

I'm out.

Edited by Revat

I started coins two years ago and I started selling yugioh cards at the same time and it's just what you'd expect overpaid for almost every coin I had. With video games I didn't take very many losses and still have lots of it to sell. The reason why II'm doing better with video games is because I bought small and in bulk.

In other words, you knew that this works but you decided to violate this principle basically every time you've bought comics to flip. (thumbs u

So are you emotional and impulsive, which clouds your judgement, or have you just made a bunch of bad decisions with everything except maybe video games?

No I wouldn't say that at all, I said that I started video games recently but I've played them my whole life so understanding them comes easier.

I'm emotional and impulsive for almost every single deal I've done thus far, my emotions cloud my judgement which is why it will make a big difference once I control them. I also take no credit these were your ideas to buy small and in bulk to minimize the risk of losses.

Well, I don't respond to troll posts. I didn't even know you started at the same time as I did so you're doing an amazing job and according to what the grading guide says The cover and centerfold may be loose and staples may be degraded, missing or replaced that was my reasoning for the grade but if you think it will sell faster at a 2.0 I'll change it.

Hmmm not sure about a full-blown dealer yet but making profit on the side yes, I went to the comic con because I was excited and never went to one before and it was a total waste of money. The laptop is half personal and half business so would I add 50% to my expenses? and I didn't replace the camera I still have and use it.

Not sure what Janet looks like but you guys really seem to like her.

Gabe, can I politely ask you to respond to the comment you made which I bolded? I'm not being facetious, but .. do you know that Grading should accurately represent the book, not which number will make it sell faster?

I'm wondering if perhaps you haven't got to grips with what Grading actually means applied to a comic book.

I do realize that and I grade as accurately as I can to make sure people are happy. Thay said I've had this comic for a while with four watchers and having a more accurate grade will sell it faster.

Okay, thanks. I saw that and I did a double-take :o If it's Graded accurately, maybe lower the price to make it more palatable to a potential buyer? Lower the price = it'll sell quicker.

Or put it up for a 10 day auction with a low starting bid and let the chips fall where they may.

That's too risky I've lost much more money then I should have doing that as they ended at .99

Really? I've had absolute garbage on eBay that I blew out because it came back graded lower than I expected and I've never had anything end at .99.

I dunno...maybe do a reserve auction?

Yup my two best examples of that would be the gold coin that was 400 sold for .99 cents and 80 dollars worth of silver dimes.

I'm curious how a gold coin managed to sell for 99c (shrug)

I have no idea but wasn't happy about since I had it on a no reserve auction.

Well, I don't respond to troll posts. I didn't even know you started at the same time as I did so you're doing an amazing job and according to what the grading guide says The cover and centerfold may be loose and staples may be degraded, missing or replaced that was my reasoning for the grade but if you think it will sell faster at a 2.0 I'll change it.

Hmmm not sure about a full-blown dealer yet but making profit on the side yes, I went to the comic con because I was excited and never went to one before and it was a total waste of money. The laptop is half personal and half business so would I add 50% to my expenses? and I didn't replace the camera I still have and use it.

Gabe, can I politely ask you to respond to the comment you made which I bolded? I'm not being facetious, but .. do you know that Grading should accurately represent the book, not which number will make it sell faster?

I'm wondering if perhaps you haven't got to grips with what Grading actually means applied to a comic book.

I do realize that and I grade as accurately as I can to make sure people are happy. Thay said I've had this comic for a while with four watchers and having a more accurate grade will sell it faster.

Okay, thanks. I saw that and I did a double-take :o If it's Graded accurately, maybe lower the price to make it more palatable to a potential buyer? Lower the price = it'll sell quicker.

Or put it up for a 10 day auction with a low starting bid and let the chips fall where they may.

That's too risky I've lost much more money then I should have doing that as they ended at .99

Really? I've had absolute garbage on eBay that I blew out because it came back graded lower than I expected and I've never had anything end at .99.

Yup my two best examples of that would be the gold coin that was 400 sold for .99 cents and 80 dollars worth of silver dimes.

Also, how did $80.00 worth of silver dimes sell for .99 cents? Bare minimum they should have brought was face value. If you can't sell a silver dime for at least 10 cents, you really need to evaluate your selling strategy.

I have no idea, what I remember happening is that I had two watchers and one of them waited till the last second to bid :(

Also, how did $80.00 worth of silver dimes sell for .99 cents? Bare minimum they should have brought was face value. If you can't sell a silver dime for at least 10 cents, you really need to evaluate your selling strategy.

If you look at his eBay listings they're not really that awesome. If it were me and I stumbled across a listing of his I would make a low bid as well because frankly I would be taking a chance with his poor descriptions and terrible pictures.

In the past I've made some really nice scores because I took a chance on a terribly listed book and it turned out great. I've also had plenty of duds trying those types of sellers out. 2c

Good listings aren't my strong point but it's something I'm working on. I struggle with titles sometimes if I have a lot of something to sell I'm not sure what to call it to make people want to check it out.

so we've got a uneducated guy with admitted mental, emotional, learning problems with no steady job who lives at home who is not only failing at flipping comics, but also coins, cards, and video games. And lost tons of money in the first few years. And lives in Canada. And doesn't understand any business concepts well. And can't do math on the fly. And doesn't do well with grammar. And doesn't have a great memory. And can't post proper listings or take reasonable pictures or grade especially well. And might come from generational poverty (I know this isn't an excuse, but I can attest that it is a real thing that can have real impact).

But won't stop trying to flip MULTIPLE types of collectibles. Did you basically say "What did I like as a kid? I must be an expert in those things, so I'm gonna make my money flipping them!" Because that's what it feels like.

We've gone down a pretty dark and deep spiral at this point. I would say multiple types of professional help are the best chance, but I'm certainly not professional enough to provide a diagnosis.

I've been out before, and came back in. Its like trying to change the mind of hardline voter in this election. Sometimes, it just can't be done, even if you logically prove they're acting against their own self interest.

OP, I've already given you all the best I have in previous posts, so I'll leave you with these: read a book, do some pushups, keep it clean, stay off drugs, listen to some 2Pac or Biggie. Be excellent to one another.

I'm out.

The first paragraph I agree with but I didn't just into these things because I've done it in the past.

Yugioh cards: They were a hobby so I didn't care how much I spent or lost

Video Games: I've played in the past so it's easier for me to grasp prices and the market on them as well as I've used the two ideas of buying small and in bulk to minimize losses.

I do want to thank you for staying as long as you did Revat.

If only Gabe could figure out a way to monetize this journal, he'd be in the black in no time!

I agree and watch once my emotions and impulses get under control things will be better.

How do you plan to do that?

Four ways

1) Use a budget

2) Analyze comics before I buy them

3) Double check to make sure there are no hidden fees or I missed something

4) Check if I can buy it anywhere cheaper

Gabe, apologies if I just hadn't noticed, but ... when did you update your signature line to include 'To buy and sell a million dollar coin'?

.. is this a new thing?

If only Gabe could figure out a way to monetize this journal, he'd be in the black in no time!

I agree and watch once my emotions and impulses get under control things will be better.

Four ways

1) Use a budget

NONE of these methodologies, will address the root causes of your lack of emotional and impulse control.

Gabe, apologies if I just hadn't noticed, but ... when did you update your signature line to include 'To buy and sell a million dollar coin'?

.. is this a new thing?

Not sure exactly but it was a bit after the million dollar comic thing

Four ways

1) Use a budget

NONE of these methodologies, will address the root causes of your lack of emotional and impulse control.

Hmmm maybe not but it will allow me to make smarter choices

.. is this a new thing?

Hmmm .. Okay .. I guess I must have just missed seeing it after all this time.

By the way, your Kudos link doesn't work.

Four ways

1) Use a budget

This is what I don't understand. Getting your emotions under control is definitely a positive thing, but I don't know how that is going to make you understand the market better, post better descriptions of your books, grade better or post better pictures.

.. is this a new thing?

Hmmm .. Okay .. I guess I must have just missed seeing it after all this time.

By the way, your Kudos link doesn't work.

Thanks I'll get on that

Four ways

1) Use a budget

This is what I don't understand. Getting your emotions under control is definitely a positive thing, but I don't know how that is going to make you understand the market better, post better descriptions of your books, grade better or post better pictures.

I agree it won't help in the way you think but I'll make better choices if I follow the above so I'll give you an example of what I think when I buy a comic

I see the comic, I get excited and check the price on GPA and if it's good I buy it for fear someone else will.

So even just double checking and reading if I'm buying and reading if there are any attached fees or taxes that alone will help my bottom line

Four ways

1) Use a budget

Putting the cart before the horse again...

What is your loss on coin dealings?

8 8