• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Today's Thoughts

I hate stupid people

I had my first facebook purge

and I had a epihany so to speak that made me realize that I was being to passive and letting life push me around well no longer changes will begin and it took a conversation with a friend and a hot girl to realize that but not at the same time haha

and this is what I posted on facebook

For far too long I've let let push me around well no more because I'm going to do instead of just thinking about it, stand up for myself instead of taking it and I'm going to become a nightmare for life this time I'm going to show it who's boss so starting from today things are going to be different now I have a reason to succeed and a reason to rise to the top and if you don't like that do yourself a favor and unfriend me right now. Thank you.

Edited by uchiha101

Today's Thoughts

I hate stupid people

and I had a epihany so to speak that made me realize that I was being to passive and letting life push me around well no longer changes will begin and it took a conversation with a friend and a hot girl to realize that but not at the same time haha

Lesson 1....... be open minded to adding the "hot girl" to your circle of friends. Many hot girls are actually very interesting. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... I like your Journal.

Today's Thoughts

I hate stupid people

Lesson 1....... be open minded to adding the "hot girl" to your circle of friends. Many hot girls are actually very interesting. GOD BLESS....

..... I like your Journal.

Thanks I'm glad you find it interesting :)

Hi Gabriel

Enjoyed this thread, thought I'd chime in.

Everyone here has a vested interest in comics. The people posting to you, have been very gracious with giving you sound logical advice.

I'm glad you have responded in a positive way.

However - when push comes to shove, every man and his dog will be competing with you for ANY comic that has meat left on it's bones - especially on this forum, where you have some of the biggest, wealthiest and influencial comic dealers and collectors in the world.

You cannot compete with them.

So don't!

Try to be different. Go to places these guys haven't been. You are out of work, if I have read this thread correctly, so for you, your time does not have a $ value at the moment.

So use it for your comics!

Hit up every craigslist ad. Every yard sale. Every church sale, every charity shop, every house clearance company.

Give yourself the best chance of being the 1st guy to find comics in the wild.

Run an ad in any publication/website that doesn't charge - you would be amazed at how many people call.

Learn to grade properly.

Open an ebay store - save on your listing fees, as you can put every comic you have up as a BIN with no end date - and you get a ton of free listings.

Get your shipping supplies for free. Grab used boxes from supermarkets, to cut up for shipping, or use to ship comics in.

Got any friends that work in shops or offices? Ask them to save all padded envelopes, bubble-wrap etc that comes in - saves you a fortune.

When you get back into work (good luck, hope you do soon) you can always grab any spare board, bubble-wrap etc yourself. Don't be too proud to grab free stuff.

It's all about luck to start with Gabe - but the harder you work, the luckier you will get.

Tread your own path!

Gabriel, I must say that I was a bit sceptical concerning your endeavors. I have had a change of heart. You can do anything you want once you set your mind to it. I applaud your tenacity. I personally never considered comics as a business,but knowing several board members who have made quite a career of it there is a future in this business. You must always try to make wise choices( like all investments) but I know you can do it. You made a wise choice in learning from collectors on these boards, for this board has THE best collectors and collections in the world.Learn and grow my friend,for one day I know you will be successful.

Gabriel, I must say that I was a bit sceptical concerning your endeavors. I have had a change of heart. You can do anything you want once you set your mind to it. I applaud your tenacity. I personally never considered comics as a business,but knowing several board members who have made quite a career of it there is a future in this business. You must always try to make wise choices( like all investments) but I know you can do it. You made a wise choice in learning from collectors on these boards, for this board has THE best collectors and collections in the world.Learn and grow my friend,for one day I know you will be successful.

Wow I'm honored that you had a change of heart oakman29 I never thought I'd see the day. I have a lot to learn and I'm not denying it ultimately I know what I want and that is to make a million dollars buying and selling a comic and being self employed. I'm getting better about becoming serious about the things that I do and I take advice from dealers and collectors on the boards here and investments are one thing I like doing.

Wow I'm honored that you had a change of heart oakman29 I never thought I'd see the day. I have a lot to learn and I'm not denying it ultimately I know what I want and that is to make a million dollars buying and selling a comic and being self employed. I'm getting better about becoming serious about the things that I do and I take advice from dealers and collectors on the boards here and investments are one thing I like doing.

:applause:

Hi Gabriel

Everyone here has a vested interest in comics. The people posting to you, have been very gracious with giving you sound logical advice.

However - when push comes to shove, every man and his dog will be competing with you for ANY comic that has meat left on it's bones - especially on this forum, where you have some of the biggest, wealthiest and influencial comic dealers and collectors in the world.

So don't!

Try to be different. Go to places these guys haven't been. You are out of work, if I have read this thread correctly, so for you, your time does not have a $ value at the moment.

Hit up every craigslist ad. Every yard sale. Every church sale, every charity shop, every house clearance company.

Run an ad in any publication/website that doesn't charge - you would be amazed at how many people call.

Learn to grade properly.

Open an ebay store - save on your listing fees, as you can put every comic you have up as a BIN with no end date - and you get a ton of free listings.

Get your shipping supplies for free. Grab used boxes from supermarkets, to cut up for shipping, or use to ship comics in.

Got any friends that work in shops or offices? Ask them to save all padded envelopes, bubble-wrap etc that comes in - saves you a fortune.

When you get back into work (good luck, hope you do soon) you can always grab any spare board, bubble-wrap etc yourself. Don't be too proud to grab free stuff.

It's all about luck to start with Gabe - but the harder you work, the luckier you will get.

Tread your own path!

Thanks for writing. Yes it's true I'm out of work and looks like I'm going to have to convert my comic book profits to survival mode.

Finding comics

I realized a couple things on here while I'm on these boards 1. Deals are hard to come by and when they do they get snatched up 2. There is a lot of competition here.

That being said you can find a deal on here from time to time and you have to act quickly I make my best purchases on other websites or in the wild which is working for me. There are the world's best comics that show up on occasion here and this also makes a great place for seeing what dealers and collectors are willing to pay for comics.

Shipping comics

I'm working on methods to make shipping cheaper for the people and I do get cardboard already from the grocery stores but I've never thought I can ask for bubble mailers from people that work in the office.

Also there is this cardboard box that is for $2 at walmart compared to the $6 that I spend at the post office and the guy says he ships slabs with them has anyone used one of these boxes he's talking about?

Grading comics I have a lot to learn with grading and I don't deny that I think it's fun to learn about it and it definitely is the meat and potatoes of this hobby from negotiation to sales I've realized grading is important.

I like to share a experience I recently had about grading

I was looking at a adventure comics on a website I go to that is known for key comics to go fast so I emailed him asking if he still has the comic and if I could see pics of it he said "he's busy but he'll send pics tomorrow" so I said "cool" and I gave him my email address so he can send the pics. The day after I look at my email and I see the email titled "adventure comics 260" I was excited but at the same time I didn't want to raise my hope of it turning out worse then he said "it's a 5.0" and I find myself thinking "if this is a 5.0 then my comics are a 9.0" so I took a look at the pics and told him that I disagree with his 5.0 and that this looks more like a 2.5/3.0 and I thought "oh well at least I was honest with him" because I thought I lost the comic and the next morning I get a email from him again and I think "great he's probably gonna cuss me out for disagreeing with his grading" and to my pleasant surprise he answered back with "I'm not a professional grader and I fully agree with your grading of a 2.5/3.0 and we'll sell it for xx amount of dollars" I was through the roof not only was I able to lower the price of the comic by 50 dollars but I used my grading skills to help him see that he overgraded his comic. :)

He says "he'll wait to sell it to me" which I think is awesome.

Job

I have no job as of right now that's true but I'm thinking of applying to pawn shops, comic book stores and thrift shops and I know some people are confused with how I think so I'll explain

Pawn shops - learning negotiation and perhaps if I box of comics comes my way I can handle or buy it from him.

Comic book stores - learning negation , dealing with tough people, getting the latest hot comics and flipping them, learning to ship lots of raw comics (yes I'm still having trouble with that) and should something good come into the store from a collection I would have first pic to buy it from them.

Thrift shops -good place to get free cardboard, learning to organize things in massive amounts without it overwhelming you and I've seen comic books come in from time to time and nothing good yet but it's always better to take a opportunity when it appears.

Edited by uchiha101

Hi Gabriel

So don't!

Learn to grade properly.

Tread your own path!

Wow - you really have a knack for coaching! Awesome motivational wisdom and encouragement!

:cool:

Hi Gabriel

So don't!

Learn to grade properly.

Tread your own path!

Wow - you really have a knack for coaching! Awesome motivational wisdom and encouragement!

Thanks very much!

Hi Gabriel

So don't!

Learn to grade properly.

Tread your own path!

Thanks for writing. Yes it's true I'm out of work and looks like I'm going to have to convert my comic book profits to survival mode.

Finding comics

I realized a couple things on here while I'm on these boards 1. Deals are hard to come by and when they do they get snatched up 2. There is a lot of competition here.

That being said you can find a deal on here from time to time and you have to act quickly I make my best purchases on other websites or in the wild which is working for me. There are the world's best comics that show up on occasion here and this also makes a great place for seeing what dealers and collectors are willing to pay for comics.

Shipping comics

I'm working on methods to make shipping cheaper for the people and I do get cardboard already from the grocery stores but I've never thought I can ask for bubble mailers from people that work in the office.

Also there is this cardboard box that is for $2 at walmart compared to the $6 that I spend at the post office and the guy says he ships slabs with them has anyone used one of these boxes he's talking about?

Grading comics I have a lot to learn with grading and I don't deny that I think it's fun to learn about it and it definitely is the meat and potatoes of this hobby from negotiation to sales I've realized grading is important.

I like to share a experience I recently had about grading

I was looking at a adventure comics on a website I go to that is known for key comics to go fast so I emailed him asking if he still has the comic and if I could see pics of it he said "he's busy but he'll send pics tomorrow" so I said "cool" and I gave him my email address so he can send the pics. The day after I look at my email and I see the email titled "adventure comics 260" I was excited but at the same time I didn't want to raise my hope of it turning out worse then he said "it's a 5.0" and I find myself thinking "if this is a 5.0 then my comics are a 9.0" so I took a look at the pics and told him that I disagree with his 5.0 and that this looks more like a 2.5/3.0 and I thought "oh well at least I was honest with him" because I thought I lost the comic and the next morning I get a email from him again and I think "great he's probably gonna cuss me out for disagreeing with his grading" and to my pleasant surprise he answered back with "I'm not a professional grader and I fully agree with your grading of a 2.5/3.0 and we'll sell it for xx amount of dollars" I was through the roof not only was I able to lower the price of the comic by 50 dollars but I used my grading skills to help him see that he overgraded his comic. :)

He says "he'll wait to sell it to me" which I think is awesome.

Job

I have no job as of right now that's true but I'm thinking of applying to pawn shops, comic book stores and thrift shops and I know some people are confused with how I think so I'll explain

Pawn shops - learning negotiation and perhaps if I box of comics comes my way I can handle or buy it from him.

Comic book stores - learning negation , dealing with tough people, getting the latest hot comics and flipping them, learning to ship lots of raw comics (yes I'm still having trouble with that) and should something good come into the store from a collection I would have first pic to buy it from them.

Thrift shops -good place to get free cardboard, learning to organize things in massive amounts without it overwhelming you and I've seen comic books come in from time to time and nothing good yet but it's always better to take a opportunity when it appears.

Thought I'd re-post since people like seeing things up to date :)

Today's thoughts

I'm going to scan the comics I have and later put them up on the grading forum and then put them up for sale

life is getting in my way again so unfortunately I'm going to have to buying comics after these last two purchases I'm making and use 100% of my comic book money on life as I have no job yet :(

I'm going to have to convert into strictly finders fees and consignments until I have a job and a stable income meaning no spending my own money but making money on other people's money which is how I heard some people got started like that :)

Congrats! :)

Really hope things turn around for you. Life's ups and downs are always a challenge to our wants and plans. But it'll temper you for the future.

Thanks hopefully all the downs will happen now and when I'm older it'll be smoother sailing :)

Re: Job.......

...don't limit yourself to only jobs that you feel apply to your comic business. Remember, the bottom line is getting those funds in to pay those bills. Once that financial burden is lifted, even partially, it will allow you to separate your business and your inventory from day to day expenses so you can focus on the growth (....or at least sustaining) of your business. Otherwise, you will just cannibalize your business assets. A lot of the more successful boardies began (...or still rely) on a regular job. Comics is a somewhat sedentary endeavor, and a job in a warehouse or stocking shelves will give you some much needed exercise ...... which will also benefit you as you get older. GOD BLESS...

8 8