• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Re: Job.......

...don't limit yourself to only jobs that you feel apply to your comic business. Remember, the bottom line is getting those funds in to pay those bills. Once that financial burden is lifted, even partially, it will allow you to separate your business and your inventory from day to day expenses so you can focus on the growth (....or at least sustaining) of your business. Otherwise, you will just cannibalize your business assets. A lot of the more successful boardies began (...or still rely) on a regular job. Comics is a somewhat sedentary endeavor, and a job in a warehouse or stocking shelves will give you some much needed exercise ...... which will also benefit you as you get older. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks I only mentioned the comic book related jobs because of the journal but I'm taking any job I can to pay the bills like you said :)

Today's Thoughts

I'm going to sell my nyx and doc strange 169 and see how that goes

working on about three collections hopefully one of them wok out

I'm going to buy my last couple of comic and see how my situation goes

I need a haircut my hair is getting in my eyes

also I need to replace my junky laptop eventually

Today's purchases

Star wars #1

Adventure comics

Thoughts and Plans

I'm working on three collections and one of them I'm on the stage of buying it has good key issues so I hope I don't mess it up

I'm also going to sell some of my bigger comics because I'm also buying bigger books haha

I have my eye on a nice copy of adventure comics 260 other than the copy I bought and I won't raise my hopes and I'll think of it as gone or a super raised price ;)

and as soon as I get the chance list all my jla #1's on feebay

Edited by uchiha101

Todays thoughts

I finished listing the comics on ebay

hopefully one collection deal works out

I've been told to try things out of my comfort zone so I'm trying a golden age horror comic :)

Deals I'm working on

2 collections

wwbn #32 3.0

adventure comics 260 6.5/7.0

strange tales 126

detective comics 140

action comics 340

vault of horror

Today's purchases

action comics 242

Edited by uchiha101

Hi Gabriel,

I've been following your journal for a while now and it's very interesting, but I have a question for you. On one hand, you state that since you have no job, you need to use the revenue from selling your comics just to cover your living expenses. My question is what are you using for money to buy the comics that you are evidently purchasing, such as the Action Comics 242 and the Detective Comics 140? These are pretty high end books for someone who is unemployed to be purchasing, it would seem. Also, are jobs that difficult to come by in your area? With no income, if you are using credit to buy these books, that seems like a recipe for disaster. In any event, good luck with your business!?

Hi Gabriel,

I've been following your journal for a while now and it's very interesting, but I have a question for you. On one hand, you state that since you have no job, you need to use the revenue from selling your comics just to cover your living expenses. My question is what are you using for money to buy the comics that you are evidently purchasing, such as the Action Comics 242 and the Detective Comics 140? These are pretty high end books for someone who is unemployed to be purchasing, it would seem. Also, are jobs that difficult to come by in your area? With no income, if you are using credit to buy these books, that seems like a recipe for disaster. In any event, good luck with your business!?

Thanks for checking it out and yes I don't have a job and with the nm 98 cgc 9.6 comic I sold I was able to buy 6 comics action comics 242 being one of them and it's low grade.The detective comics 140 is a comic that I have yet not bought but it's cheaper as it's the Canadian version of it. No jobs aren't to difficult to find it's that they say I don't have too much experience. I would never use credit in my situation because that would only make it worse like you said but I'm working on getting a job, selling comics, finding comics for people, looking for a place and worrying about my health at the same time :P but thanks for the encouragement :)

Maybe it has already been asked, but is there a reason for which you and your family are moving so often? Its not so practical when you are trying to earn while dealing with comics :shrug:

To be fair, its also not practical to deal comics when you don't have any money, don't have a huge collection to begin with, don't have a ton of comic knowledge, and very little business experience and education, very few comic connections, don't live in America, and live with your parents.

So I would say moving around a bit frequently is much less of an issue.

Maybe it has already been asked, but is there a reason for which you and your family are moving so often? It’s not so practical when you are trying to earn while dealing with comics… :shrug:

My parents lost their jobs so I needed to move with them and help them out.

Maybe it has already been asked, but is there a reason for which you and your family are moving so often? Its not so practical when you are trying to earn while dealing with comics :shrug:

To be fair, its also not practical to deal comics when you don't have any money, don't have a huge collection to begin with, don't have a ton of comic knowledge, and very little business experience and education, very few comic connections, don't live in America, and live with your parents.

That's a lot of things you mentioned but they are all true and I'm willing to learn it and one of the reasons I try so hard is because my parents have made successful businesses and I want to do the same thing as them even though I'm at a disadvantage.

That's almost right...I don't have a job but I do have health coverage for everything but prescription drugs and I don't leech off my dad since he lost he's job and he's on ei as is my mom which means he doesn't make as much so I pay for more things than I used to before.

New Consignment

It's a restored af15 9.0 restored and I get to sell it for my client and he says if I sell him this he'll give me more to sell yay.

My problem is people don't want to ship these high value comics to me

so should I offer to pay half of the insurance and shipping for it to be shipped to me?

Here's the thing with a restored book, you need to be able to see it and understand it. What kind of restoration, how much, how major, is it removable, etc. Any buyer is going to want multiple pictures, scans, descriptions etc. S/he is going to be relying on you heavily to pass along the information because they can't physically can't hold it in hand. You miss a small crease, a fleck of color restoration, a blunted corner etc and it opens up a return nightmare. Ideally you should have it in your possession so that you can deal with all those questions.

However, this opens up a much bigger issue. It's an af15 that, even with c-3 restoration and all three sides trimmed, is still probably a 5 figure book, or at least close. That's a major sale for most people. Even if you pay for shipping and insurance to you, that doesn't end it. You are now responsible for a 5 figure book. Do you have insurance? Are you sure said insurance will cover the book? What does the terms of your consignment agreement (you have one of those right?) state in terms of liability/how much insurance you will carry on the book (are you covering FMV? His Asking Price?) Who covers deductible (which can also run a pretty penny)? Is there a force major clause? There is a lot that goes into such a large consignment but have you thought through all the ramifications of such a large consignment? (Please do not take any offense to this, but I am SHOCKED to hear that a client is giving you a 5 figure book as a jumping off point).

Hope my comments are helpful and best of luck with the sale.

Here's the thing with a restored book, you need to be able to see it and understand it. What kind of restoration, how much, how major, is it removable, etc. Any buyer is going to want multiple pictures, scans, descriptions etc. S/he is going to be relying on you heavily to pass along the information because they can't physically can't hold it in hand. You miss a small crease, a fleck of color restoration, a blunted corner etc and it opens up a return nightmare. Ideally you should have it in your possession so that you can deal with all those questions.

However, this opens up a much bigger issue. It's an af15 that, even with c-3 restoration and all three sides trimmed, is still probably a 5 figure book, or at least close. That's a major sale for most people. Even if you pay for shipping and insurance to you, that doesn't end it. You are now responsible for a 5 figure book. Do you have insurance? Are you sure said insurance will cover the book? What does the terms of your consignment agreement (you have one of those right?) state in terms of liability/how much insurance you will carry on the book (are you covering FMV? His Asking Price?) Who covers deductible (which can also run a pretty penny)? Is there a force major clause? There is a lot that goes into such a large consignment but have you thought through all the ramifications of such a large consignment? (Please do not take any offense to this, but I am SHOCKED to hear that a client is giving you a 5 figure book as a jumping off point).

Hope my comments are helpful and best of luck with the sale.

I'm not taking any offence to this it's great to hear constructive criticism. Right now I'm thinking of presenting the idea to him nothing more. I do have a general idea of what I want to offer as my consignment terms

That's almost right...I don't have a job but I do have health coverage for everything but prescription drugs and I don't leech off my dad since he lost he's job and he's on ei as is my mom which means he doesn't make as much so I pay for more things than I used to before.

You sound like a good kid but how will an unemployed kid with very little knowledge of this hobby help with his unemployed parents? You should probably just find a job and worry about selling books later. Set your priorities man.

8 8