• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Comics Purchased

Secret Wars 8 Marvel Milestone x2 $3.25 each

X-Force 1 $1.77

Immortal Iron Fist 17 Variant CGC 9.8 Paid $ 115

So you spent $123 plus shipping for those books. Why?

The SW #8 milestone books are good if you want to put together less expensive sets of SW #1-12. I would have paid $3.25 apiece for those.

X-Force #1 is available on practically every street corner for $1 apiece, so at $1.77 plus shipping it was a pretty terrible buy unless it has the Deadpool card. If it has that card it is a $10 book.

You've received a lot of advice in this thread about how buying graded variants for resale is a terrible idea. Unless this was a personal buy (birthday gift to yourself), which would be an odd choice when you're already four figures in comic debt, why would you buy the variant?

Happy birthday!

Thanks and I bought the variant because of the upcoming Iron Fist show on Netflix since I missed out on Marvel Premiere 15.

I don't think the Iron Fist book is a terrible buy per se. Questionable, as I don't think it'll receive a significant enough bump with the Netflix series to make it worth his while 2c

My friends say it will hit the 200 plus mark so in the meantime I'm listing and selling my other comics.

I don't think the Iron Fist book is a terrible buy per se. Questionable, as I don't think it'll receive a significant enough bump with the Netflix series to make it worth his while 2c

I've definitely seen worse buys from him before. But for him to make any really money he will need the book to shoot up to the $200 range which is doubtful but possible.

I'm thinking of listing it at $225 OBO on Ebay

I've definitely seen worse buys from him before. But for him to make any really money he will need the book to shoot up to the $200 range which is doubtful but possible.

Worth a shot but considering that's about double what people were paying 10 days ago its a long shot. There does not look to be many copies out there so who knows.

Worth a shot but considering that's about double what people were paying 10 days ago its a long shot. There does not look to be many copies out there so who knows.

I like how he takes his friends advice as if it were written in stone when his friend is just making guesses like the rest of us lol

It's to entice people to make offers and there will be more interest closer to the start of the Iron fist show.

I like how he takes his friends advice as if it were written in stone when his friend is just making guesses like the rest of us lol

I don't take his word as set in stone but with his track record I can't argue with it.

I don't take his word as set in stone but with his track record I can't argue with it.

and what is your track record for chasing hype books?

what % of the time have you made money?

Do me a favor.... It is very simple... STOP SPECULATING! Sure go ahead and buy a book for $1-2 because it has a key appearance and you are hoping and praying for them to appear on a show.

But when you start spending $100+ on spec books you aren't speculating. You are gambling; playing the lottery.

My father in Law likes to say this, "When you buy a lottery ticket you are buying a dream." This is why when I buy a scratch off lottery ticket I take my time... I enjoy my dream.

You just bought $100 worth of returnable lottery tickets. You had your dream. It's time to scratch those tickets and aim for the blue chips.

and what is your track record for chasing hype books?

what % of the time have you made money?

I remember you calculated that for me

You also ignored my advice on turn rates. What percentage of your income is locked up in that one book not making you any money?

Which you plan to sit on for a year not making money...

about 10% of the total money

8 8