• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Gabe- How much did you sell the Batman 189 for, not counting shipping and fees? How much did you pay for it?

I bought it for 108 USD

I sold it for 220 USD

Even with shipping you should make a decent profit. Nice going!!

Thanks I just want to confirm what the postal code is with him before I get the quote just to make sure

Not what I asked. What did you quote the buyer for shipping? If you only quoted him $11 and said that you would pick up the rest that will definitely eat into your profit margin.

I quoted him 10 for shipping and said I would cover the rest

So he wants signature confirmation which you said you would cover.

Using Xpress Post with package dimensions of 16 x 12 x 4 and weight of 1 kg with sig confirmation and insured for $200 CDN is going to be around $112 CDN or $82 USD.

So you are picking up $71 USD in shipping or thereabouts now.

You can't ship a CGC book in or out of Canada, properly packaged, for less than $25

There were other options and I thought it was a bit cheap as well so I'll see what they tell me.

When you're doing any calculation you should keep your common sense radar working. That radar is based on past experience. You've sold enough books to know $11 won't work.

It's costing me a minimum of $15 to ship a package anywhere in Canada or the US. That's a raw book in a relatively small box without tracking or insurance. A slab properly packaged-double boxed - is minimum $25 in Canada or US.

UK? Won't be cheap.

Yeah I'm going to get the quote soon because I'm curious as well.

An 18x12x6 (a box I ship my slabs in) weighing 1 kilogram from the GTA is $144.84 CDN via expresspost (the only option with a signature confirmation) or $107 US.

Jim

Using Xpress Post with package dimensions of 16 x 12 x 4 and weight of 1 kg with sig confirmation and insured for $200 CDN is going to be around $112 CDN or $82 USD.

He doesn't want insurance just a signature confirmation

You can't ship a CGC book in or out of Canada, properly packaged, for less than $25

There were other options and I thought it was a bit cheap as well so I'll see what they tell me.

When you're doing any calculation you should keep your common sense radar working. That radar is based on past experience. You've sold enough books to know $11 won't work.

It's costing me a minimum of $15 to ship a package anywhere in Canada or the US. That's a raw book in a relatively small box without tracking or insurance. A slab properly packaged-double boxed - is minimum $25 in Canada or US.

UK? Won't be cheap.

Yeah I'm going to get the quote soon because I'm curious as well.

An 18x12x6 (a box I ship my slabs in) weighing 1 kilogram from the GTA is $144.84 CDN via expresspost (the only option with a signature confirmation) or $107 US.

Jim

That's the thing I'm doing the cheapest way so we'll see what happens.

Approximation:

Book purchased $108

Sold $220

Shipping fees covered $70

Profit $42 - Not including eBay and PayPal cut

That about right?

The first two are right and I sold it on facebook not ebay and the rest I'll let you know.

Uhmm the insurance should be for your own protection not his...

Uhmm the insurance should be for your own protection not his...

It would have 100 of insurance on it already because of how it would be sent but like I said once I get an accurate quote I'll update it.

$11 to the UK? Are you sure about that? Something does not seem right about that quote...Where did you get the quote from? I plugged a 1 kg package in with dimensions that would fit a slab nicely and cheapset I got was $18 with no tracking or insurance....Tracked Packet Intl is looking like about $60...

And now with a sig required, he needs to send express post. That doubles or triples the shipping cost doesn't it? (shrug)

Jim

Yes it increases cost significantly.

Agreed but with the weak dollar it will equal out

You know what the hipsters says...11 is the new 107

Jim

$11 to the UK? Are you sure about that? Something does not seem right about that quote...Where did you get the quote from? I plugged a 1 kg package in with dimensions that would fit a slab nicely and cheapset I got was $18 with no tracking or insurance....Tracked Packet Intl is looking like about $60...

And now with a sig required, he needs to send express post. That doubles or triples the shipping cost doesn't it? (shrug)

Jim

Yes it increases cost significantly.

Agreed but with the weak dollar it will equal out

You know what the hipsters says...11 is the new 107

Jim

I'll update you guys once I know

How do you not know this?

You can plug all the data into the Canada Post website under find a rate and once you put in the information it will give you quotes for different service tiers.

Invest in a digital mailing scale. This will save you surprises.

All of this is kind of Selling 101.

Bottom line if you promised the guy that you would cover the rest of shipping with signature confirmation you are easily over $100 CDN to ship.

You can plug all the data into the Canada Post website under find a rate and once you put in the information it will give you quotes for different service tiers.

Bottom line if you promised the guy that you would cover the rest of shipping with signature confirmation you are easily over $100 CDN to ship.

I did and it gave me 6 different options

I just checked and I said if it's doable I'll do it and if not then I won't and I said I would check saturday but I asked him again just in case and see what he wants to do

The reason I say this is because it was supposed to be 210 shipped to the US or Canada

Did you look at those options or just pick the first thing possible? Did you put in proper weights and sizes or just pick numbers from the wild number picking tree?

Small PacketTM - International Surface - $18.44 (NO TRACKING AVAILABLE!)

Small PacketTM - International Air - $38.34 (NO TRACKING AVAILABLE!)

International Parcel - Surface - $48.26 (NO TRACKING AVAILABLE)

Tracked PacketTM - International - 7 business days - $61.09 (YEAH TRACKING!)

XpresspostTM - International - 4 business days (Guaranteed) - $89.61 (YEAH TRACKING AND SIGNATURE)! :banana:

Did you look at those options or just pick the first thing possible? Did you put in proper weights and sizes or just pick numbers from the wild number picking tree?

Small PacketTM - International Surface - $18.44 (NO TRACKING AVAILABLE!)

Small PacketTM - International Air - $38.34 (NO TRACKING AVAILABLE!)

International Parcel - Surface - $48.26 (NO TRACKING AVAILABLE)

Tracked PacketTM - International - 7 business days - $61.09 (YEAH TRACKING!)

XpresspostTM - International - 4 business days (Guaranteed) - $89.61 (YEAH TRACKING AND SIGNATURE)! :banana:

Facts are soooo overrated.

8 8