• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Where we at with the "over/under" for your video game and card sales?

I haven't purchased any cards yet and for the video games I'm under 452 dollars

2 hours ago, Comics181 said:

I personally think you should focus on selling inventory but it's up to you and your money

I am selling my inventory but since nothing has been selling for a while now I'm looking for other things in the mean time 

9 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

Why is that?

Because you keep losing money (shrug)

Secondly, what kind of cards are we talking about here? Do you have any real knowledge about the card market?  

I hear Beanie Babies are picking up again, might as well give those a try too right?

5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Secondly, what kind of cards are we talking about here? Do you have any real knowledge about the card market?  

I hear Beanie Babies are picking up again, might as well give those a try too right?

That's true but again it's not like I've sold out all my inventory and I don't know everything about sports cards but like comics anything before the 80's is what people should be looking for and baseball and basketball cards have the most going for them.

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

It does not appear he is losing much other then time since after all this time he has basically broken even.  At least he is having fun and not really hurting anyone and as an added bonus he is probably irritating his parents less.  You keep at it!

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It does not appear he is losing much other then time since after all this time he has basically broken even.  At least he is having fun and not really hurting anyone and as an added bonus he is probably irritating his parents less.  You keep at it!

The numbers might be off, but until he sells his comic inventory he is about $800 in the hole.

Time is money.

Even if he sells it for full market value he will still be in the hole.  He is over $400 in the hole with video games if I understand correctly.  As a wise boardie said, he would be better off had he just left that $$$ sitting on his bedroom floor over the past couple of years.

I know you want to be supportive, but he is hurting someone. He is hurting himself.  Not to rehash everything but he is a 20 something young man with zero future job prospects who lives at home and this "speculation" is a distraction from self-improvement and securing his future independence. So yeah, I would say that it is hurting someone.  

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

The numbers might be off, but until he sells his comic inventory he is about $800 in the hole.

Time is money.

Even if he sells it for full market value he will still be in the hole.  He is over $400 in the hole with video games if I understand correctly.  As a wise boardie said, he would be better off had he just left that $$$ sitting on his bedroom floor over the past couple of years.

I know you want to be supportive, but he is hurting someone. He is hurting himself.  Not to rehash everything but he is a 20 something young man with zero future job prospects who lives at home and this "speculation" is a distraction from self-improvement and securing his future independence. So yeah, I would say that it is hurting someone.  

But he has shown over the last couple years that getting a job or career training is something he can't get behind and put his energy into.  Would a full-time job or career be better - 100% yes but that does not appear possible right now.  If he stopped selling books or cards or video games today I don't think he would transition into anything positive (based on what I've read).  Selling stuff seems to be his "Xanax" which helps him get thru the day.  I personally wish he would put his energy elsewhere but from a self destructive vantage point flipping stuff (all be it mostly unsuccessfully up to this point) is pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by 1Cool

I like and know something about comics, I'll try flipping them - Result: barely break even after investing $11,000 (possibly including some money that was government aid) and I don't have full time work.

I like and know something about video games, I'll try flipping them - Result: Small loss after investing at least a few thousand I'm guessing.

I've heard of sport cards but don't know too much about them, but I figure since I like them less and know less about them I'll be able to make more money flipping them. 

ALSO, I STILL LIVE IN CANADA where the markets for both buying and selling comics and especially (pretty much hockey or bust) sport cards are MUCH MUCH MUCH more limited, and the price of shipping to and from the US continues to increase sharply.

ALSO, why do you target such specific comics? unless you actively have buyers for them or want them for your own collection?  That's how you end up barely breaking even or losing money on books, you just get so locked in and focused on such specific books, that you might take the best deal you can find, even if its not actually a good deal, and then you can't move it at the right price then you get stuck with it, then desperate, then sell for a loss.  Its ok to have some books on your watch list, but you should be targeting  specific profit margins instead, which means KNOWING MORE about MORE BOOKS.   

And if you're not finding enough good deals, then whatever the reason (bad luck, bad geography, lack of knowledge or intelligence, lack of effort, lack of time, lack of resources), then don't buy, whether its a $1 comic or a $5,000 comic.  In your financial position you can't tie ANY money up.  Don't buy an AF15 just so you can say you owned and bought and sold an AF15.  I'm guessing you feel that there's some prestige to that, that you think it somehow validates you and your goals, but it doesn't, not even a little bit.  It just shows how your emotions and feelings will always get in the way of your success in this and probably most other endeavors. 

You might have seen that work out for very rich people on occasion, where despite their vanity, narcissism, and desperate need to validate themselves and get validation of others, they've been financially or professionally successful, but those people aren't fulfilled and often have the most pitiful actual lives.

Please take steps to improve yourself as a person, as a human.  Exercise, eat right, read, do volunteer work, learn a specific skill, appreciate or participate in art, learn a foreign language, be disciplined.  The rest will come with that.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:22 AM, 1Cool said:

Thanks 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:38 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Time is money.

451 dollars in the hole for video games

On 5/1/2017 at 11:58 AM, 1Cool said:

But he has shown over the last couple years that getting a job or career training is something he can't get behind and put his energy into.  Would a full-time job or career be better - 100% yes but that does not appear possible right now.  If he stopped selling books or cards or video games today I don't think he would transition into anything positive (based on what I've read).  Selling stuff seems to be his "Xanax" which helps him get thru the day.  I personally wish he would put his energy elsewhere but from a self destructive vantage point flipping stuff (all be it mostly unsuccessfully up to this point) is pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know if it would lead to something negative as I don't party, drink, smoke or do drugs and I recently came of out of my depression and I'm not going back.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:36 PM, revat said:

I like and know something about comics, I'll try flipping them - Result: barely break even after investing $11,000 (possibly including some money that was government aid) and I don't have full time work.

I like and know something about video games, I'll try flipping them - Result: Small loss after investing at least a few thousand I'm guessing.

I've heard of sport cards but don't know too much about them, but I figure since I like them less and know less about them I'll be able to make more money flipping them. 

ALSO, I STILL LIVE IN CANADA where the markets for both buying and selling comics and especially (pretty much hockey or bust) sport cards are MUCH MUCH MUCH more limited, and the price of shipping to and from the US continues to increase sharply.

ALSO, why do you target such specific comics? unless you actively have buyers for them or want them for your own collection?  That's how you end up barely breaking even or losing money on books, you just get so locked in and focused on such specific books, that you might take the best deal you can find, even if its not actually a good deal, and then you can't move it at the right price then you get stuck with it, then desperate, then sell for a loss.  Its ok to have some books on your watch list, but you should be targeting  specific profit margins instead, which means KNOWING MORE about MORE BOOKS.   

And if you're not finding enough good deals, then whatever the reason (bad luck, bad geography, lack of knowledge or intelligence, lack of effort, lack of time, lack of resources), then don't buy, whether its a $1 comic or a $5,000 comic.  In your financial position you can't tie ANY money up.  Don't buy an AF15 just so you can say you owned and bought and sold an AF15.  I'm guessing you feel that there's some prestige to that, that you think it somehow validates you and your goals, but it doesn't, not even a little bit.  It just shows how your emotions and feelings will always get in the way of your success in this and probably most other endeavors. 

You might have seen that work out for very rich people on occasion, where despite their vanity, narcissism, and desperate need to validate themselves and get validation of others, they've been financially or professionally successful, but those people aren't fulfilled and often have the most pitiful actual lives.

Please take steps to improve yourself as a person, as a human.  Exercise, eat right, read, do volunteer work, learn a specific skill, appreciate or participate in art, learn a foreign language, be disciplined.  The rest will come with that.

I appreciate the concern but you misunderstood the reason why I'm looking at these comics, I'm looking at them as a consignment or finders fee nothing more or less. If I were to buy a huge amount when I can't afford it would be stupid of me to do so. I target comics that are sought after and I can either consign or get a finders fee for and with regards to address and location it's one of my problems but for the most part I found ways around it.

Video games are something that I recently got into and it's something I enjoy, I've made mistakes as all people do with new things they venture into but I've taken what I learned with comics and put it to use with video games.

Edited by uchiha101

6 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Down/in the hole by $450 dollars? Yep. Sounds like definitely taken what you have learned with comics and put it to use....

(thumbsu

You love taking things out of context, don't you? I already said that I made some mistakes but I've put what I learned from comics to video games and I still have video game stuff to sell

9 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

You love taking things out of context, don't you? I already said that I made some mistakes but I've put what I learned from comics to video games and I still have video game stuff to sell

:slapfight:

What specifically did you learn from comics to apply to dealing in video games? You are $450 in the hole with video games. What is the FMV of your game inventory?  Just seems the same mistakes being made. (shrug)

Look, we all make mistakes but you are in the hole from your comic dealings. In the hole from your video game dealings. Now you want to get into cards? 

Magic eight ball says "outlook not good".

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

:slapfight:

What specifically did you learn from comics to apply to dealing in video games? You are $450 in the hole with video games. What is the FMV of your game inventory?  Just seems the same mistakes being made. (shrug)

Look, we all make mistakes but you are in the hole from your comic dealings. In the hole from your video game dealings. Now you want to get into cards? 

Magic eight ball says "outlook not good".

I learned that buying collections is better than buying separately,  saving money on shipping, having stuff shipped to my friends to reduce overall cost and increase profit, buying key and sought after games instead of ones no one wants, not taking payments by friends and family, meeting up with people instead of just trusting their word, not sending any more money orders to people I haven't done business with or trust and that people are more willing to buy from you if they see they're getting a deal.

For video games, I haven't counted the FMV but I'll do so and yes I want to get into cards as well so that if markets start to drop I can turn to something else I can make money with because prices of most video games have dropped.

Forgot to add consignments and finders fee are also other things that are transferable to video games.

Edited by uchiha101

8 8