• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

To the OP, I think you think that people are having a tough time with your logic, they're not.  They get your logic.  You want to learn, possibly gain some skills to give you a better chance a better future, be around the comic environment, and are willing to work for free.  You think, "Why isn't that enough for everyone?? What store owner wouldn't want that??? FREE LABOR!! Literally EVERYBODY WINS!! What is the downside????"  People get that perspective, I promise you they do.  

BUT

Can you please take a few minutes and write out a list of CONCERNS that a Comic Store owner might have regarding a volunteer?  AND WHY??? Try to think out what they might be thinking about.  What would concern them about a volunteer in general and you in particular?  What questions might they have, and are you prepared to answer them?  WRITE IT ALL DOWN. 

Many of the people (including me) see a lot of seemingly obvious red flags.  See if YOU can make a list and address those issues, hopefully this will be a good exercises in changing perspectives and possibly empathy.  And no, simplistic "I won't steal" is not convincing, or at least it shouldn't be [US presidential election rant regarding first 100 days of obviously overly-simplistic promises REDACTED].

6 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

I'm not worried about things like that because I'm not in a position where things like that will affect me. 

Oh really?  So when that comic store owner that you just asked permission to work the cash register looks at your public Facebook page and sees you declare you're having money problems, you don't think that will affect you?  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

What is your problem? I'm not going to steal anything and they let me hold their higher end comics, I just look at them and give them back I have no intention of stealing it despite what you may think. Yes, I have worked a cash register before both an older one and a touch screen one and since that was a while back I would need to be retrained on it.

I don't have a problem.

Where did I ever say that you were intending on stealing anything? 

Read my first line again "Poverty has NOTHING to do with a lack of money".

This entire thread screams all of the reasons why that's true.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:13 AM, newshane said:

Your oblivious attitude is one of the many reasons you're a total failure.

If you can't understand why a business owner would be suspicious of a "volunteer" asking for immediate access to the cash drawer, then you are truly disabled and your best bet is to live off government assistance. I hate to be so cruel, but enough is enough.

You say you hate to be cruel but don't  lie to yourself. Also, I never said I don't understand why an owner would be suspicious of a volunteer but I said I don't understand why that would go for me, in my eyes I already proved I'm trustworthy.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:19 PM, Red84 said:

Oh really?  So when that comic store owner that you just asked permission to work the cash register looks at your public Facebook page and sees you declare you're having money problems, you don't think that will affect you?  (thumbsu

No, I already explained my situation and he knows what I'm dealing with.

Edited by uchiha101

On 5/18/2017 at 0:27 PM, jcjames said:

I don't have a problem.

Where did I ever say that you were intending on stealing anything? 

Read my first line again "Poverty has NOTHING to do with a lack of money".

This entire thread screams all of the reasons why that's true.

I would need to check what was being said again and yes poverty has everything to do with a lack of money that's the very definition of it.

On 18/5/2017 at 8:19 PM, Red84 said:

If one has money problems it dosn’t automatically imply he would become dishonest.

As long as you speak of attitude I agree that uchiha seems to reinforce often his "pessimism" with arbitrary convinctions, without trying first what he could find as a job, but one thing is saying this, and one thing is saying that people should become suspicious because someone is in need of money.

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

There is not material poverty alone… (shrug)

Yes but in this context, it was about money. Well, the reason for volunteering is to kill three birds with one stone.

2 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

Yes but in this context, it was about money. Well, the reason for volunteering is to kill three birds with one stone.

Be careful not to encourage the trolling too much. People enjoy reading your entries, but many enjoy trolling even more.

19 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

I would need to check what was being said again and yes poverty has everything to do with a lack of money that's the very definition of it.

Wrong.

That's why so many poor lottery winners end up dirt poor again a year or two after winning the jackpot.  Take 95% of a millionaire's money away and give it to a random poor person, odds are  in five years the millionaire will be a millionaire again and the poor person will be poor again.

Poverty is a symptom, not the disease. Until you clearly understand that, trying to end poverty with getting more money only temporarily masks the symptom, while the disease continues.

Edited by jcjames

21 hours ago, vaillant said:

If one has money problems it dosn’t automatically imply he would become dishonest.

As long as you speak of attitude I agree that uchiha seems to reinforce often his "pessimism" with arbitrary convinctions, without trying first what he could find as a job, but one thing is saying this, and one thing is saying that people should become suspicious because someone is in need of money.

True - but what Gabe seems to miss is that immediately trying to ask for access to the register in his volunteer "pitch" is a huge mistake. If the owner looks him up online --- the FB posts could easily lead to a "no thank you" (if not an outright no from the start). 

If he wants to volunteer - he should make his pitch simple and ask if they want another volunteer. Do whatever tasks they have for you. If he asks for anything - he should ( AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS OF VOLUNTEERING)  - see if the owner or staff would help him improve his grading technique. That would help him a lot more with comics than register training - and be something attainable without pushing boundaries too fast.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Wrong.

That's why so many poor lottery winners end up dirt poor again a year or two aftepovertynning the jackpot.  Take 95 % of a millionaire's money away and give it to a random poor person, odds are  in five years the millionaire will be a millionaire again and the poor person will be poor again.

Poverty is a symptom, not the disease. Until you clearly understand that, trying to end poverty with getting more money only temporarily masks the symptom, while the disease continues.

You said poverty has nothing to do with money which by definition is wrong. I don't agree about what you say about poverty being a symptom it's more factors than that.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Wrong.

That's why so many poor lottery winners end up dirt poor again a year or two aftepovertynning the jackpot.  Take 95 % of a millionaire's money away and give it to a random poor person, odds are  in five years the millionaire will be a millionaire again and the poor person will be poor again.

You said poverty has nothing to do with money which by definition is wrong. I don't agree about what you say about poverty being a symptom it's more factors than that.

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:

Actually, Gabe, JCJAMes is right.  While you are more than likely a perfectly nice, honest person, you have zero money management skills.  If you were to come into an inheritance of say, $100,000.00 tomorrow, I absolutely guarantee that money would be gone in less than a year, and you would still be in debt.  While I'm sure that you're a nice person, you have no money management skills, because you've never had to learn any.  There has always been someone there to bail you out, either your parents or the taxpayers of Canada.  I'm not knocking you for having been on public assistance, lots of people have, but even you have to admit that, at the end of the day, your financial decisions have not adversely affected your life.  I'm not talking about not having the money to buy a video game or comic book; but being out on the street, without a roof over your head or anything to eat.  I know you've said that you've been homeless before, but if that's true, it sure didn't make much impression on you.  Money alone is not the solution to poverty, because without money management skills, any money you come into will be gone the next time some "insider" friend of yours mentions the next Aphra, or whatever third rate character you think you can make a killing on.

8 8