• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Yes I have bad money management skills and I've said that multiple times but that's not what got me into the situation with the government and if you're talking about comics I've upheld what I said, that I wouldn't buy comics unless I had money to do so and if I don't I buy nothing.

I haven't visited your thread in a long while Gabe, but it sounds like the same ole, same ole.

After 314 pages you would think you could learn from your mistakes.

I wish you well in life Gabe.

17 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I haven't visited your thread in a long while Gabe, but it sounds like the same ole, same ole.

After 314 pages you would think you could learn from your mistakes.

I wish you well in life Gabe.

Thanks 

On 5/23/2017 at 2:09 PM, uchiha101 said:

You said poverty has nothing to do with money which by definition is wrong. I don't agree about what you say about poverty being a symptom it's more factors than that.

And because you think that way - there you are, in it.

How does one, living as an adult in a wealthy 1st-world welfare-state such as Canada, find himself still living in poverty after so many years? Are  you lacking in money or the necessities that money can provide?

Or is it you're lacking in something else? Something not quite so simple as merely "money". 

Again, how is it so many once-poor lottery jackpot-winners very soon find themselves yet again dirt-poor in poverty and debt even after having won millions upon millions of dollars? If you were right about poverty, then their poverty should have been "cured" by simply having lots and lots of money handed to them. But you're wrong, and that's why nearly all poor people who are poor for long periods of time (or worse yet, generationally-poor) find themselves forever living in poverty. They think their poverty is because they lack money. That's just plain wrong. 

It's their habits, their attitudes, their lifestyles, their impulsiveness, foolishness, laziness, or combination of any or all of those things that they suffer from.  Long-term poverty is a consequence, a reflection mainly of their choices and habits. For too many, the lifestyle of poverty becomes their lifelong habit, the longer it goes on the hard it is to break those habits.

If you really want to use comic-dealing as an eventual way out of poverty, you must first become a student of those who have far more experience and success than you do - and not ignore the lessons and opportunities they give you (which you have done for years in this thread and continue on to this very moment). That must radically change, and it must come as a radical change to your habits within you first.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

How does one, living as an adult in a wealthy 1st-world welfare-state such as Canada, find himself still living in poverty after so many years? Are  you lacking in money or the necessities that money can provide?

Or is it you're lacking in something else? Something not quite so simple as merely "money". 

Again, how is it so many once-poor lottery jackpot-winners very soon find themselves yet again dirt-poor in poverty and debt even after having won millions upon millions of dollars? If you were right about poverty, then their poverty should have been "cured" by simply having lots and lots of money handed to them. But you're wrong, and that's why nearly all poor people who are poor for long periods of time (or worse yet, generationally-poor) find themselves forever living in poverty. They think their poverty is because they lack money. That's just plain wrong. 

It's their habits, their attitudes, their lifestyles, their impulsiveness, foolishness, laziness, or combination of any or all of those things that they suffer from.  Long-term poverty is a consequence, a reflection mainly of their choices and habits. For too many, the lifestyle of poverty becomes their lifelong habit, the longer it goes on the hard it is to break those habits.

If you really want to use comic-dealing as an eventual way out of poverty, you must first become a student of those who have far more experience and success than you do - and not ignore the lessons and opportunities they give you (which you have done for years in this thread and continue on to this very moment). That must radically change, and it must come as a radical change to your habits within you first.

(worship)(worship)

51 minutes ago, Gatchaman said:

Hey Gabe, last year I went to an estate sale and spent $300 on these books.  I sold most of them here for over $1,000.  Don't chase after large books.  Go for ones that you can get cheap and sell for high prices.

ant1.jpg

ant2.jpg

ant3.jpg

ant4.jpg

ant5.jpg

ant6.jpg

:facepalm:

EXCEPT you have a nice large lot of silver age books with several semi and key books in that lot you just showed off.  

That's great that you found that at an estate sale and got a great deal on it. Heck, I would be too. But to show that and say "hey, buy awesome books at low prices and sell high" like it is some kind of revelation and are 'easy' to come across is not really all that helpful.

Gabe should not be encouraged to be doing ANY comic buying.  All this is waving something shiny in front of him that will encourage him to continue down this path.

The reality is, if you can't pay your debts, you shouldn't be still looking at flipping comics as a way out. I don't care if it is a $1 book or what, every effort should be made towards finding full time employment.  Gabe needs to be doubling down on getting another job and/or the equivalent of full time hours, not 'dealing' in collectibles. 

3 hours ago, Gatchaman said:

Hey Gabe, last year I went to an estate sale and spent $300 on these books.  I sold most of them here for over $1,000.  Don't chase after large books.  Go for ones that you can get cheap and sell for high prices.

ant1.jpg

ant2.jpg

ant3.jpg

ant4.jpg

ant5.jpg

ant6.jpg

Yes that's what I've been starting to doing and which is why I have folders full of hot and modern variant comics you can buy for cheap if you find them

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

EXCEPT you have a nice large lot of silver age books with several semi and key books in that lot you just showed off.  

That's great that you found that at an estate sale and got a great deal on it. Heck, I would be too. But to show that and say "hey, buy awesome books at low prices and sell high" like it is some kind of revelation and are 'easy' to come across is not really all that helpful.

Gabe should not be encouraged to be doing ANY comic buying.  All this is waving something shiny in front of him that will encourage him to continue down this path.

The reality is, if you can't pay your debts, you shouldn't be still looking at flipping comics as a way out. I don't care if it is a $1 book or what, every effort should be made towards finding full time employment.  Gabe needs to be doubling down on getting another job and/or the equivalent of full time hours, not 'dealing' in collectibles. 

Thanks, Wall Crawler, but I do have more self-control than that now which is also why you have seen me make a large purchase of any sort for a while.

13 hours ago, jcjames said:

Thanks for sound wonderfully explaining that and it was also what I meant by factors other than money itself, that said I'm gonna copy and paste this.

8 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Thanks for sound wonderfully explaining that and it was also what I meant by factors other than money itself, that said I'm gonna copy and paste this.

...And do what with it???  (shrug)

11 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I've been reading this plan for at least a year now and it is still being exhorted without gaining any ground.  You still think that saying something today that has been said all this time will automatically come about?

It seems that he doesn't want the advice that is constantly reiterated.  If that is the means then why not try to show him the right way to do it?  Since the beginning if the journal he has shown that he wants to flip books all the while people are trying to get him NOT buy large books and get a job.  If he isn't going to do it then why keep on trying to convince him to do so?  I know he isn't going to take that advice no matter how many times it is said and/or who says it.  So, my piling on won't matter.  If you really want to help, as he won't take other advice and you want to keep trying, give him another alternative and/or help.

1 hour ago, Gatchaman said:

I've been reading this plan for at least a year now and it is still being exhorted without gaining any ground.  You still think that saying something today that has been said all this time will automatically come about?

It seems that he doesn't want the advice that is constantly reiterated.  If that is the means then why not try to show him the right way to do it?  Since the beginning if the journal he has shown that he wants to flip books all the while people are trying to get him NOT buy large books and get a job.  If he isn't going to do it then why keep on trying to convince him to do so?  I know he isn't going to take that advice no matter how many times it is said and/or who says it.  So, my piling on won't matter.  If you really want to help, as he won't take other advice and you want to keep trying, give him another alternative and/or help.

Your heart is in the right place, but what you're doing has also been done before with the same results.  I mean, take a look at what he responded to your post.  You showed him solid silver age books from big titles, he said he was doing the same thing by keeping an eye open for cheap, hot, modern variants.  Pretty much the opposite of what you're trying to illustrate.

Giving him good advice in an attempt to dissuade him from buying/selling comics in an attempt to improve his life hasn't worked. 

Giving him good advice to show him the correct way to buy/sell comics hasn't worked. 

My advice?  Don't give him advice.  He'll stay the same and you'll just end up frustrated.  He won't change unless he wants/is forced to change.  In his own words, it would take being homeless again before he considers changing what he's doing.  He said that around the turn of the year when his parents were threatening to kick him out.  He only likes advice that gels with his viewpoint.  Anything else just rolls off. 

Edited by Turtle
Spelling

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I agree.  Lots like this don't happen often and suggesting to Gabe that this is buying low and selling high is what got him into the situation he is in. 

I've said it a couple times but maybe it will sink in.  Finding old American comic books in Canada (even Niagara Falls) has got to be much tougher then it is in the US and it's not easy to do it here.  I know there are comic book sellers up in Canada and some of them do very well but they put in twice as much work then us in the states.  Why don't you concentrate on selling maple to tourists or go work in the tourist industry?  I can't imagine it is tough to find work (especially in the summer) with all the US dollars flowing into town. 

8 8