• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Gatchaman said:

I've been reading this plan for at least a year now and it is still being exhorted without gaining any ground.  You still think that saying something today that has been said all this time will automatically come about?

It seems that he doesn't want the advice that is constantly reiterated.  If that is the means then why not try to show him the right way to do it?  Since the beginning if the journal he has shown that he wants to flip books all the while people are trying to get him NOT buy large books and get a job.  If he isn't going to do it then why keep on trying to convince him to do so?  I know he isn't going to take that advice no matter how many times it is said and/or who says it.  So, my piling on won't matter.  If you really want to help, as he won't take other advice and you want to keep trying, give him another alternative and/or help.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

Your heart is in the right place, but what you're doing has also been done before with the same results.  I mean, take a look at what he responded to your post.  You showed him solid silver age books from big titles, he said he was doing the same thing by keeping an eye open for cheap, hot, modern variants.  Pretty much the opposite of what you're trying to illustrate.

Giving him good advice in an attempt to dissuade him from buying/selling comics in an attempt to improve his life hasn't worked. 

Giving him good advice to show him the correct way to buy/sell comics hasn't worked. 

My advice?  Don't give him advice.  He'll stay the same and you'll just end up frustrated.  He won't change unless he wants/is forced to change.  In his own words, it would take being homeless again before he considers changing what he's doing.  He said that around the turn of the year when his parents were threatening to kick him out.  He only likes advice that gels with his viewpoint.  Anything else just rolls off. 

You people are the ones that told me it's also better to look at stuff I can buy for cheap and flip for bigger profits instead of buying into higher end stuff and turning a lower profit so which is it?

I'll tell you my answer, I don't care what I buy as long as I make money on it.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I've said it a couple times but maybe it will sink in.  Finding old American comic books in Canada (even Niagara Falls) has got to be much tougher then it is in the US and it's not easy to do it here.  I know there are comic book sellers up in Canada and some of them do very well but they put in twice as much work then us in the states.  Why don't you concentrate on selling maple to tourists or go work in the tourist industry?  I can't imagine it is tough to find work (especially in the summer) with all the US dollars flowing into town. 

Yes, it is harder to find American comics in Canada but I also look in the States and ebay. Tourist industry?

Just now, uchiha101 said:

I never counted

No I mean what you do in a day.

Wake up at 11am - then eat

12pm I play video games, youtube

1pm work at dishwasher job for 4 hrs

530 home and have dinner

6 video games till 2 in the morning repeat

9 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Comics sold 

ASM 361 

Bought 0.80USD

Sold $11.40USD

1st print?  Had to be a beater to sell for $11 but nice return on $0.80

11 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Yes, it is harder to find American comics in Canada but I also look in the States and ebay. Tourist industry?

You playing with me?  Tourist industry is any business that caters to tourist and there are plenty in Niagara Falls (I'm heading up twice this year with different family members myself). 

7 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:
14 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Do you mean my time or money?

Time

you shouldn't be putting money into ANYTHING that isn't directly related to getting a full time job, or getting the skills to get a job (or better job), and maybe to paying off debt if applicable.  Flipping comics (or attempting to) does not qualify as this. 

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

You playing with me?  Tourist industry is any business that caters to tourist and there are plenty in Niagara Falls (I'm heading up twice this year with different family members myself). 

Coming to NFComic Con June 2nd :baiting: 

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

No, I wanted to know what you considered the tourist industry and the jobs of the industry.

4 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Coming to NFComic Con June 2nd :baiting: 

I wish.  I'm heading up Saturday for a long Memorial Day weekend with my daughter (her 1st time) and then a couples get-away with friends in July.

It's a quick 3 hour trip so it's a nice get-away.

Edited by 1Cool

Just now, uchiha101 said:

Unless a miracle happens no.

Why not?  You may even be able to get a dealer badge with your celebrity status.  Dig thru long boxes and I'm sure you will go home with some flippable books.

2 hours ago, revat said:

you shouldn't be putting money into ANYTHING that isn't directly related to getting a full time job, or getting the skills to get a job (or better job), and maybe to paying off debt if applicable.  Flipping comics (or attempting to) does not qualify as this. 

I disagree with that. Paying debt of is important but if I can make a few bucks to make a profit and pay off the debt faster I will and no I'm not avoiding things with jobs I'm looking for another.

8 8