• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I'm going to give a little nugget for you.

A week after you've applied for a job,call a manager or person in charge and see if they had time to review your application to consider you for the position. Keep calling at least once a week. That way the manager will see that you are interested in the position, keeping your name in his mind. Don't ever wait for them to call you, because they won't.

A week after you've applied for a job,call a manager or person in charge and see if they had time to review your application to consider you for the position. Keep calling at least once a week. That way the manager will see that you are interested in the position, keeping your name in his mind. Don't ever wait for them to call you, because they won't.

I'll keep that in mind as Bill Dewees told me the same thing.Some jobs I can't call since it's says I'm not allowed to but most of them I can and thanks.

Edited by uchiha101

I'll keep that in mind as Bill Dewees told me the same thing.Some jobs I can't call since it's says I'm not allowed to but most of them I can and thanks.

If your application is very good and they have an opening, they'll call. If your application contains a bunch of red flags such as multiple jobs in a short period of time, inflexible availability, involuntary termination, etc. then calling them will do no good since they would probably not view you as being good candidate. Unfortunately, based on what you've said about why you've left your previous job, I don't see you as a good candidate. It cost money to hire and a lot of time to train a team member.

If the many issues you've had since signing onto the board is reflection of how your life is then I really hope for the best for you. I think you need to man up and deal with your situation differently than how you've handled it in the past.

If your application is very good and they have an opening, they'll call. If your application contains a bunch of red flags such as multiple jobs in a short period of time, inflexible availability, involuntary termination, etc. then calling them will do no good since they would probably not view you as being good candidate. Unfortunately, based on what you've said about why you've left your previous job, I don't see you as a good candidate. It cost money to hire and a lot of time to train a team member.

If the many issues you've had since signing onto the board is reflection of how your life is then I really hope for the best for you. I think you need to man up and deal with your situation differently than how you've handled it in the past.

I think my resume is good however I did move around a lot and didn't keep a job for long. What you see on these boards is exactly what you get offline I don't out on any fronts as I don't need to and you have a point I need to handle my situations better then I have as it gets me no where.

I'm not sure if this has been asked but have you attended any career fairs at any local community colleges, high schools, or city sponsored events? I've recruited at these places and I've had a lot of luck finding interns and management applicants at state and universities. I've had some luck hiring entry level clerks who dropped off applications at smaller events too. Just remember if you do go to these events that you dress professionally and do some background on the company.

Since its difficult to remember every person who drops off their resume, I usually put some marks on the back of the resume. "X" means no and a check mark means yes. If the person dropping off their resume looks professional, knows a little about the company, and actually ask about the job and position then I would put a check mark. If the person just seems like they're there just to drop off an application and doesn't seem to care about the position then its an "X". When I'm recruiting I'm looking for someone that is above the other students and when we're talking face to face, that is their first interview, and part of the screening process, whether they know it or not.

One last thing is if you go to the career fairs, don't walk up to the table eyeballing the freebies or walk up with a bag filled with stuff you grabbed from other tables. You should be going up to the employer to inquire about a job and not about getting free loot. I can't tell you how many times I've had college students with bags of loot ask me at these events, "Oh wow, what's that? Is it free?" I just wish I can respond back "Its a freaking pen...and don't you think you have enough already?"

I'm not sure if this has been asked but have you attended any career fairs at any local community colleges, high schools, or city sponsored events? I've recruited at these places and I've had a lot of luck finding interns and management applicants at state and universities. I've had some luck hiring entry level clerks who dropped off applications at smaller events too. Just remember if you do go to these events that you dress professionally and do some background on the company.

Since its difficult to remember every person who drops off their resume, I usually put some marks on the back of the resume. "X" means no and a check mark means yes. If the person dropping off their resume looks professional, knows a little about the company, and actually ask about the job and position then I would put a check mark. If the person just seems like they're there just to drop off an application and doesn't seem to care about the position then its an "X". When I'm recruiting I'm looking for someone that is above the other students and when we're talking face to face, that is their first interview, and part of the screening process, whether they know it or not.

One last thing is if you go to the career fairs, don't walk up to the table eyeballing the freebies or walk up with a bag filled with stuff you grabbed from other tables. You should be going up to the employer to inquire about a job and not about getting free loot. I can't tell you how many times I've had college students with bags of loot ask me at these events, "Oh wow, what's that? Is it free?" I just wish I can respond back "Its a freaking pen...and don't you think you have enough already?"

One thing I can tell you I do when I went to job fairs is I just handed in my resume to whoever I thought I had the best chance getting hired with and as for freebies I get them offered to me as I don't pick them up. My dressing is usually a hoodie and track pants but if I go somewhere nice it's a shirt, dress pants and shoes.

My behavior is good until you me off as I have many types of personalities that clash against mine.

When you are working in entry level jobs, you shouldn't have a personality. You don't like something, just suck it up.

I don't like that mentality I know a job like that isn't fun but I don't want to dread it either.

:facepalm:

Rodan's right...if you're working an entry-level job and you come across something/someone you don't like, the answer is not to "clash" with the roadblock, rather use it as a motivation to work harder and either get promoted out of your position or earn enough experience to get a better position elsewhere.

You're letting pride get in your way. As a result, you're not a victim of society. You're consciously choosing to be unemployed.

Attitudes can be tough to change. If you want to succeed, you'll need to change yours.

It's not pride it's that I get annoyed with people easily and you're right that I need to change my attitude as it's not getting me anywhere.

sigh, you gave us a list of 3 jobs you've been fired from and blamed the boss each time and took zero responsibility in each case. You don't want to work construction or list heavy items and you get annoyed with people easily. And this thread absolutely illustrates that you don't think ahead or follow advice well. I gave you advice on your resume and you didn't thank me.

It's not that you can't find jobs, it's that nobody wants to hire you.

My behavior is good until you me off as I have many types of personalities that clash against mine.

When you are working in entry level jobs, you shouldn't have a personality. You don't like something, just suck it up.

I don't like that mentality I know a job like that isn't fun but I don't want to dread it either.

:facepalm:

Rodan's right...if you're working an entry-level job and you come across something/someone you don't like, the answer is not to "clash" with the roadblock, rather use it as a motivation to work harder and either get promoted out of your position or earn enough experience to get a better position elsewhere.

You're letting pride get in your way. As a result, you're not a victim of society. You're consciously choosing to be unemployed.

Attitudes can be tough to change. If you want to succeed, you'll need to change yours.

It's not pride it's that I get annoyed with people easily and you're right that I need to change my attitude as it's not getting me anywhere.

sigh, you gave us a list of 3 jobs you've been fired from and blamed the boss each time and took zero responsibility in each case. You don't want to work construction or list heavy items and you get annoyed with people easily. And this thread absolutely illustrates that you don't think ahead or follow advice well. I gave you advice on your resume and you didn't thank me.

It's not that you can't find jobs, it's that nobody wants to hire you.

Sorry I didn't do it on purpose so a belated thank you for help with the resume. I take responsibility for what I do but that wasn't my doing except for one of them, I can't stop someone being a scammer or a individual_without_enough_empathy and I don't see how that falls on me. Also after getting fired a got another job within a week and stayed for 9 months.

Hey Oak, may I borrow this trash can for a second?

DSC01167.jpg

Toss the hoodie and track pants in here until you get a job. Dress for success... and right now a job, any job, would be success.

I don't mind dressing for success and I like wearing shirts better then hoodies it makes me feel more successful.

This thread is the biggest train wreck I've seen on these boards. You say you feel successful when you dress nicely, well what about basic grooming habits? I just watched your latest video on YouTube which you uploaded on January 24th. First, any potential employers who watch that will write you off immediately. I could remodel my bathroom in the time it took you to open one package. I also see that your back to your vampire fingernails. Not only is that just gross, it says very plainly to any potential employers that if you can't be bothered to observe basic hygiene and grooming habits, why on earth would they hire you? Based on everything that I've seen of you, I wouldn't hire you to mow my lawn. After a year of "looking" for a job, the previous poster is 100 percent right-it's not that you can't find a job, the truth is that no employer in their right mind would hire you.

This thread is the biggest train wreck I've seen on these boards. You say you feel successful when you dress nicely, well what about basic grooming habits? I just watched your latest video on YouTube which you uploaded on January 24th. First, any potential employers who watch that will write you off immediately. I could remodel my bathroom in the time it took you to open one package. I also see that your back to your vampire fingernails. Not only is that just gross, it says very plainly to any potential employers that if you can't be bothered to observe basic hygiene and grooming habits, why on earth would they hire you? Based on everything that I've seen of you, I wouldn't hire you to mow my lawn. After a year of "looking" for a job, the previous poster is 100 percent right-it's not that you can't find a job, the truth is that no employer in their right mind would hire you.

Yes I did say I feel successful when I dress nicely and as for my grooming habits they could be better. That video was uploaded on the 24th but I got those comics about three weeks before that also I don't know why you bought up how long it took me to unpackage the comics. When I have a interview or drop off resumes other then that I only do it when necessary. So because of my grooming habits and how I dress beforehand effects the outcome of what I do? unless they know of me from Youtube I don't see that happening. When I had a job I kept groomed because I had to in order to keep my job. Employers only hire me when they're desperate nothing else.

Gabriel,

If you're handing off your resume to an employer then how you present yourself will absolutely impact your ability to get an interview with them. You shouldn't practice proper grooming habits in order to keep a job, but rather you should practice proper grooming habit to get a job and retain a job. If they're hiring you only because they're "desperate" then they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Team members are in the field and are the face of the company. If you don't think your appearance doesn't matter until after you are hired then your cycle of finding employment will continue.

Gabriel,

If you're handing off your resume to an employer then how you present yourself will absolutely impact your ability to get an interview with them. You shouldn't practice proper grooming habits in order to keep a job, but rather you should practice proper grooming habit to get a job and retain a job. If they're hiring you only because they're "desperate" then they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Team members are in the field and are the face of the company. If you don't think your appearance doesn't matter until after you are hired then your cycle of finding employment will continue.

You're right I should get into this habit again as I don't want to be on social assistance forever and I'd be able to build my experience.

Hey Gabe.

Got time tomorrow afternooon? Or are you already going?

Second Career Information Session

Repeats every week every Monday 4 times .

Monday, January 18, 2016 - 15:30 to 16:30

Monday, January 25, 2016 - 15:30 to 16:30

Monday, February 1, 2016 - 15:30 to 16:30

Monday, February 8, 2016 - 15:30 to 16:30

NEHC Training Room

Looking for a Second Career?

If you have been laid off on or after January 1, 2005 you may qualify.

The Second Career Information session will provide information on eligibility and suitability, as well as provide you with details on the Second Career Program.

To be eligible, individuals must:

· Have been laid-off on or after January 1, 2005;

· Be unemployed

· Be a resident of Ontario

· Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident legally authorized to work in Canada; and

· Demonstrate occupational demand for the skills training request with evidence of good employment prospects locally or within Ontario

This information session begins at 1:30 SHARP!

Niagara Employment Help Centre

6100 Thorold Stone Road, Unit #7

Niagara Falls, Ontario, L2J 1A3

https://ehc.on.ca/events/second-career-information-session-20160115

Also saw another one, I wont cut and paste but here's the link

https://ehc.on.ca/events/digital-attractions-job-fair-20160205

since you live in a "Seasonal" town, try to get in the loop on seasonal hirings. It wont be full time work year round, but it's a start, and seasonal work sometimes pay better than non-seasonal, and if they like you and you do well in the first round, they'll call you again for next year.

That's one thing to think about... look at jobs that aren't appealing and go after them. Less competiion, and if you look like you WANT the job then the manager will be more apt to hire YOU becasuse at least you seem to want the job rather than him having to convince someone to take the undesirable position/shift.

Types of crappy jobs I've taken in the past using this model.

-Late night clerk at a convenience store.

-daycare driver (weird hours 8-10am and then 2-4pm)

-overnight shift at a hotel (10pm -6am)

and lots more...

as I said in our PMs, your job is to NOT give hiring managers a reason to move your application to the "no" pile. That means, look good at all times that you might see them, follow up with applications, make sure applications are 100% spelled correctly and grammatically correct. Show up early to interview/meetings, follow up on the interview, and so on.

remember

Getting a job (until you have one) IS your job.

2 hours a week? Try 2 hours a day, MINIMUM. Dont just do online applications, those go into very big data piles and you application will NEVER stick out. Go to stores, ask to see the manager, be polite, be quick, ask about openings/opportunities. If the answer is no, then ask if they expect to be hiring in the near future (ie seasonal increases) and if there's a good period to target coming back. Right now the best thing you have going for you is you have TIME and Freedom to use that time to job hunt. Dont waste it.

You said you tried to go to school for medicine but missed because you weren't good at Chemistry and Biology (you mentioned your grades were 15% to low). Reality check: Chem and Bio are the foundations of medicine, so how did you think that field was a good fit? Want to be in the "people helping" business? Nursing, Orderlies, Phlebotomists... all jobs with easier on-ramps to employment than doctor...

And please, video game design... again reality check. Video game design is the "professional athlete" job for the 21st century. There are a million kids wanting to do the same thing, and about 1 in a thousand actually gets the job. And the ones that get in work their way up and spend years in QA code checking and testing, and that mean lots of technical training in JAVA, PHP, XHTML and so on, have you any experience in those already?

Hey Gabe.

NEHC Training Room

The Second Career Information session will provide information on eligibility and suitability, as well as provide you with details on the Second Career Program.

· Be unemployed

· Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident legally authorized to work in Canada; and

· Demonstrate occupational demand for the skills training request with evidence of good employment prospects locally or within Ontario

No I'm going to get my resume checked over on Wednesday.

Hey Gabe.

NEHC Training Room

· Be unemployed

No I'm going to get my resume checked over on Wednesday.

What time on Wednesday?

Also saw another one, I wont cut and paste but here's the link

https://ehc.on.ca/events/digital-attractions-job-fair-20160205

since you live in a "Seasonal" town, try to get in the loop on seasonal hirings. It wont be full time work year round, but it's a start, and seasonal work sometimes pay better than non-seasonal, and if they like you and you do well in the first round, they'll call you again for next year.

That's one thing to think about... look at jobs that aren't appealing and go after them. Less competiion, and if you look like you WANT the job then the manager will be more apt to hire YOU becasuse at least you seem to want the job rather than him having to convince someone to take the undesirable position/shift.

Types of crappy jobs I've taken in the past using this model.

-Late night clerk at a convenience store.

-daycare driver (weird hours 8-10am and then 2-4pm)

-overnight shift at a hotel (10pm -6am)

and lots more...

as I said in our PMs, your job is to NOT give hiring managers a reason to move your application to the "no" pile. That means, look good at all times that you might see them, follow up with applications, make sure applications are 100% spelled correctly and grammatically correct. Show up early to interview/meetings, follow up on the interview, and so on.

remember

Getting a job (until you have one) IS your job.

2 hours a week? Try 2 hours a day, MINIMUM. Dont just do online applications, those go into very big data piles and you application will NEVER stick out. Go to stores, ask to see the manager, be polite, be quick, ask about openings/opportunities. If the answer is no, then ask if they expect to be hiring in the near future (ie seasonal increases) and if there's a good period to target coming back. Right now the best thing you have going for you is you have TIME and Freedom to use that time to job hunt. Dont waste it.

You said you tried to go to school for medicine but missed because you weren't good at Chemistry and Biology (you mentioned your grades were 15% to low). Reality check: Chem and Bio are the foundations of medicine, so how did you think that field was a good fit? Want to be in the "people helping" business? Nursing, Orderlies, Phlebotomists... all jobs with easier on-ramps to employment than doctor...

And please, video game design... again reality check. Video game design is the "professional athlete" job for the 21st century. There are a million kids wanting to do the same thing, and about 1 in a thousand actually gets the job. And the ones that get in work their way up and spend years in QA code checking and testing, and that mean lots of technical training in JAVA, PHP, XHTML and so on, have you any experience in those already?

With training to be a doctor I knew chemistry and bio were needed but I failed by 15% anyway. I'll check out those other jobs and I was studying video game art not design so I was doing drawing, animation, modeling and so on nothing with programming. I've done a couple seasonal jobs before and they were great as they usually paid cash meaning I saved on taxes. You're right I do have time and freedom on my hands so does that mean even if there's no hiring sign I should go and ask anyway? For the crappy jobs I'm applying for any jobs but construction. I've noticed here it's mostly part-time jobs.

8 8