• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

So, to be clear, you currently have a job right?

No shame in minimum wage work, but are you pulling decent hours?

How many hours per week would you "guesstimate" that you spend scouring the internet and other venues looking for "deals"?

To be clear I have a job but my hours have been cut so I won't be working there much longer. I never checked how long I search for deals but at least 10 hours a week.

Dare I ask...How are things on the job front?

and this- been almost a week since WC asked...... FAR more important than the book - this brings stability which is what you need BEFORE you work on the comic front.....

Things on the job front suck :P

and yet, still have the time and money to risk on $1K+ comic 'investments', despite being on gov't support less than a year ago. And yes I get that it's a great 'deal' on the comic. But a better 'deal' might be paying for some classes or vocational training to generate future income streams

I keep my paypal money and living money separate. I agree that a better "deal" would be classes but I have no idea what I want to do anymore so I'll will stick with a min wage job for now. I know you're going to say "You have a min wage job you shouldn't complain that it sucks" but I had two jobs that I enjoyed working at and my only complaints were two coworkers there but other then that great. Also I view classes as a bad investment because that would also be wasted money should it not turn out for me. Yes when I see a deal I'll go after it.

A bad investment (seriously) - is comic books - the market is extremely volatile - and you keep trying to work in the higher end books instead of learning from the ground up. Unless you have 20K bank for your business - you should not be dropping 1.5K on a single book. Having too much of your capital wrapped up in single entities - is a recipe for investment disaster.

Before hunting down new books - you need to fix your old ones. I gave you advice on the TEC you have listed - and the problems are still there. You need a real front cover image. You need to give it a real grade. You need to price to grade.

A good investment - would be interview lessons. Technical writing lessons. Something that is useful across multiple disciplines or job hunting.

That's only partially true the BB28 is for 1200 and my friend wanted to buy it instead so he gave me the money to do so and I'll get a finders fee now all that's left is me to actually receive the comic as ups is messing with me. I still have lots of comics left but I've sold off most of my higher end comics, The Tec comic yes I haven't fixed but I will do that. I do need to improve my basic English, Math and Writing skills but I need to find a place that will take me.

Edited by uchiha101

Dare I ask...How are things on the job front?

and this- been almost a week since WC asked...... FAR more important than the book - this brings stability which is what you need BEFORE you work on the comic front.....

Things on the job front suck :P

What do you hate about your job?

They are inflexible with their schedule

They charge you for food that they say is free

You aren't allowed to accept American tips or you're fired

They didn't pay me 150 dollars on my paycheck calling it a accident which I know is bs

Unfortunately, all of this is just sounding like more of the same old sad news.

Questions Round 2:

How many hours per week are you working and when were the hours cut?

So, minimum 10 hours per week looking for deals online. Are there really that many deals to be found online? If you are dissatisfied with your current job situation, how many hours per week then would you guesstimate you spend looking for other jobs?

Whatever happened to that employment counselor or whatever you were seeing?

So, wait, did YOU initially buy the BB28 or did you simply acquire it "for a friend"?

If you bought it yourself from the start, why go through all that work to just take a piddly "finders fee" now? Which is it?

So, wait, did YOU initially buy the BB28 or did you simply acquire it "for a friend"?

If you bought it yourself from the start, why go through all that work to just take a piddly "finders fee" now? Which is it?

Yeah, this is like deja vu all over again. Sure sounded like he was "excited to get it" himself.

Something's not right.

Echo the advice about honing your job-skills, and letting go of big-ticket buys/sales/trades/deals for a while.

Unfortunately, all of this is just sounding like more of the same old sad news.

Questions Round 2:

How many hours per week are you working and when were the hours cut?

So, minimum 10 hours per week looking for deals online. Are there really that many deals to be found online? If you are dissatisfied with your current job situation, how many hours per week then would you guesstimate you spend looking for other jobs?

Whatever happened to that employment counselor or whatever you were seeing?

I'm working 20-25 hours a week. I haven't been seeing the employment counselor since I got a job. Yes you can find a fair amount of deals per day if you look and I would say at least 5 hours a week looking for other jobs.

Initially this was supposed to be a split purchase and my former friends that I asked to split this comic with me had their tails between their legs, I wanted to put in 500 and my friend the other 700 and he decided since I was fair with him he would just send me money to buy the comic, and if everything is done to his satisfaction I get 700 dollars out of this. I have been following everything he told me all that's left is for ups to actually deliver it to me.

Initially this was supposed to be a split purchase and my former friends that I asked to split this comic with me had their tails between their legs, I wanted to put in 500 and my friend the other 700 and he decided since I was fair with him he would just send me money to buy the comic, and if everything is done to his satisfaction I get 700 dollars out of this. I have been following everything he told me all that's left is for ups to actually deliver it to me.

:ohnoez:

This makes my head hurt...

So, the comic cost $1200, you put in $500 and your "friend" $700, which would make up the $1200 to buy the book - How are you getting $700 out of this "deal"? What if your "friend" is dissatisfied with the deal?

What am I missing here? Can you explain the nature of this arrangement/deal a little more clearly? Before it sounded like YOU were buying it outright...

163999.jpg.36b535942054d48989c99da6a9168634.jpg

164000.jpg.43afc16b3c0b1ea4c45452cba560b04f.jpg

Edited by Wall-Crawler

So, the comic cost $1200, you put in $500 and your "friend" $700, which would make up the $1200 to buy the book - How are you getting $700 out of this "deal"? What if your "friend" is dissatisfied with the deal?

What am I missing here? Can you explain the nature of this arrangement/deal a little more clearly? Before it sounded like YOU were buying it outright...

"former friends"? ???

Okay so let's see - so your friend gives you $700 to buy a book that costs $1200, so you chip in $500 of your own money and buy it, and if so if your friend likes it, he keeps the book and you're out $500 with no book? Is that what it boils down to? Or do you both own it and sell it and split the profits between you? Would the friend be entitled to 58% of the profit since he kicked in 58% of the upfront cost? Is there an agreement on how you'd split up the proceeds of the sale of this book? What if the friend doesn't like the book and wants his money back because he trusted your judgement - will he become a "former friend"? Or worst case - the book never arrives and the friend wants his money back.

This is all very confusing. :(

Hopefully this works out, somehow, for the positive and it's a learning experience.

"former friends"? ???

Okay so let's see - so your friend gives you $700 to buy a book that costs $1200, so you chip in $500 of your own money and buy it, and if so if your friend likes it, he keeps the book and you're out $500 with no book? Is that what it boils down to? Or do you both own it and sell it and split the profits between you? Would the friend be entitled to 58% of the profit since he kicked in 58% of the upfront cost? Is there an agreement on how you'd split up the proceeds of the sale of this book? What if the friend doesn't like the book and wants his money back because he trusted your judgement - will he become a "former friend"? Or worst case - the book never arrives and the friend wants his money back.

Hopefully this works out, somehow, for the positive and it's a learning experience.

OP, you've openly admitted to having some learning and comprehension limitations, as well as very little success in business classes or handling money/investments in general, even to the point of generational poverty. And there's nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with taking positive steps to improve yourself and your situation. But seriously, what are the odds that a non-traditional type sale with non-standard terms is going to go your way? Trading multiple comics over borders? Going in with 'friends' on deals too good to be true? Sure they might work out sometimes, or even most of the time, but is it worth the risk? Especially for a person without a full time job who was on government assistance 6 months ago?

You can't count on lotteries. Build up a savings, or get a better job, or get better skills, or all of the above. There's no reason to get into serious comics investments (and for you, this is serious) without a safety net.

Ok I confuse people when I speak, I found the comic for 1200 and wanted to buy it because I had money at the time however since the guy took so long to respond I already spent that money. So since I had 500 I was looking for someone to pay 700 and I pay 500 and split the profits with him. If my friend is dissatisfied he said he'll ask for a refund but we already when through this and the only thing that would make him do that is if the case has a crack or chip in it.

"former friends"? ???

He will get 58% of profit since that's what he put into it and only a crack or chip on the case would dissatisfy him.The comic is here but UPS is playing games which I'm not happy about. I wouldn't unfriend him as he did more then my former friends did as I could care less about people who only talk big.

"former friends"? ???

OP, you've openly admitted to having some learning and comprehension limitations, as well as very little success in business classes or handling money/investments in general, even to the point of generational poverty. And there's nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with taking positive steps to improve yourself and your situation. But seriously, what are the odds that a non-traditional type sale with non-standard terms is going to go your way? Trading multiple comics over borders? Going in with 'friends' on deals too good to be true? Sure they might work out sometimes, or even most of the time, but is it worth the risk? Especially for a person without a full time job who was on government assistance 6 months ago?

You can't count on lotteries. Build up a savings, or get a better job, or get better skills, or all of the above. There's no reason to get into serious comics investments (and for you, this is serious) without a safety net.

I do love answering your questions. Right now the only thing that is left to be done is me to receive the comic. I do get what you're saying but I'm not risking more then I can afford. I have a savings account with 3k in it so far so what I do is every time I make money I put in 5-10%. I do have savings of 23k once upon a time and as for getting better at things I'm looking for a place to improve with my math and English skills.

You don't need to defend yourself.

However, posting this carp on a online forum is going to get you well deserved criticism

Thanks but there are of good pieces of advice here and if anything bothers me it's being called a shill. Posting things here is good because I'm only one person and there are many opinions here and everyone posting here has more experience then I do

I've been following this thread for 2 1/2 years now, and I'm curious about a couple of things. First off, you get a thumbs up from me for getting a job and sticking with it, even though you don't like it. My questions though, are how do you justify spending $500.00 on a comic book, or any luxury item, for that matter, when you are working, at most, 25 hours a week at a job paying minimum wage? Now I know that you're going to say that you keep your "living money" and your "other money" separate, but when you are over 21 years old, still living at home and not working even 40 hours per week, there should be no such thing as "other money", or whatever you want to call it. Are you planning on living with your parents and trying to be a comic book dealer or flipper indefinitely, or are you planning on getting out on your own, with bills and responsibilities like the majority of those on these boards deal with every day? My second question is how much, exactly, have you made or lost buying and selling comics since you started this thread? My point in asking this last question is that your track record for buying and selling comics doesn't seem to be very good, to say the least, yet, as others have pointed out, you seem to continue to take chances on buying expensive comics, this latest time with $700.00 that isn't even yours. Why is that?

Gabe this road to success has certainly been a most bumpy road. Its time to face reality and understand that while there is no doubt that you love this hobby/business, timing in your life says different. Everyone on these boards at one time or another had to step away from comics and focus on whats important. To each individual it was different. Someone needed a car, or repair. Some had to go to college or pay bills. Some had the challenge of buying a home or just had to pay rent. Understanding what you are good at and what your are challenged with is important. Take a break from these comics and focus on whats real, what puts guaranteed money in your bank account. Flipping books doesnt always add up to a net gain and you can lose money and its just part of it. You cannot afford to lose money, youre in no position to be taking risks or gambling. You are always welcome to watch and learn and keep your finger on the pulse of whats going on, but plaing this game whith real money isnt something you need to be doing. Earn money by working hard, put a little aside each week or month and when the time is right, buy something. The road to success is not a real road we can all walk unfortunatly, some actually skip and run it while some just simply cant get out of the driveway. Your young and that is a big bonus. Take yourself out coach and come back another day.

Chris

So what is the deal with the book? Have it in hand yet? What is the hold up exactly?

The comic came in today but UPS was playing stupid games and today the guy knocked once, dropped the package and ran off I'm just thankful the guy packed so well

Also I don't think anyone called you a shill? But your original story made it sound like you and you alone were buying the BB 28 and now it is you and at least one guy who may or may not be a friend...

I've been called a shill by many people on this journal because they can't believe I made all these mistakes and he still is my friend

8 8