• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I spend most of my time online and don't make a cent

Who's webcam feed have I been watching???

lol I dunno but you better ask for a refund

this is a good free webcam to have on in the background

http://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/cams/panda-cam

I promise you, its harmless and SFW.

boobies?

be careful what you ask for.....

636973c9cafa230cb57d6a1acad5faf1.jpg

on the more serious side -

Gabriel -

If you need a secondary income - get that second REAL part time job. Mix it up - and try to get at least one of them in an area that can turn into full time.

Honestly - food service is actually a great area. I believe you have a job as a dishwasher, right? - are you the BEST dishwasher they have? if not - what will it take to get there AND ATTITUDE IS INCLUDED in that aspect. If you are ( or become) one of their better performers and have a working relationship with your boss - you can ask for more hours. If they say no - ask them what needs improvement in order for you to get more hours. If more hours at that position are not available - you can then ask if there are other areas where you can help out. If you make yourself a VALUABLE employee - there will be opportunities - or at least you will be able to jump in to a different restaurant with skills and experience.

as for comics....

You have repeatedly ignored sound advice from those with a LOT of knowledge.

You keep trying to make the big scores - without understanding the nuances of the business. Buying collections and breaking them up --- HELPS YOU LEARN.

The model you keep chasing will burn you and probably already has.

In one of the posts - you had a bank account of 20K+ - now in the 3K range.

Was this the same timeline as your comic book speculations???? - look at what the accounts were when you started and now - if you do not have real overall profit - then you have to realize what you are doing is NOT working.

recommendations -

I would steer clear from comics until AFTER you have a stable working situation that can support you. Comics - should NOT be something you depend on for income. If it is not providing a significant % of your income now (from PROFIT - not just sales) - then it is hurting you - not helping.

when you RETURN to comics

1. Do not do third party deals. The description of the BATB deal - really seems to be a recipe for disaster.

2. If you cannot afford to make a purchase 100% on your own - do not do it.

3. Never put more than 20% of your working cash into a single deal ( one book or a collection - does not matter).

4. LEARN TO GRADE. Seriously - your TEC in ebay - still has up to 4 grades associated with it ( 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 4.0) ...... pick one and price appropriately. This is a skill you need to buy and sell comics. You do not have to be the best - but the better you get - the bigger margins you will be able to maintain.

5. START SMALL SO YOU CAN LEARN.... mistakes on a $10 book hurt a lot less than a $1000 book. If you buy collections - the inventory costs are spread out. If you cannot figure out how to turn a profit hunting down groups of $5 - $10 books that you will not be able to do so with the big ones.

I will probably copy and past that last one many more times as you continue to progress. Buying collections and breaking them apart - is one of the very best ways to start. Yes - profits are small in the beginning - but you learn how to evaluate purchases. How to identify the better books. How to process all of it for sale. How and where are the best locations to sell the various tiers of books. When you get the routine and process down to what works for you - the profits go up as you can increase your buy/sell rate with confidence and experience. Right now - it seems more like you are guessing at what to do with $1000+ at a time........

There is always manual labor. It pays well, and you have to sweat, but if you want something bad enough, you will sweat. That money you put away to do what your passion is will not be in vain.

It's the unwillingness to buckle down and do something you don't like that sets apart those that succeed with those that don't.

I spent 10 years doing a job in an industry I loathed. I dealt with people that disgusted me.

It bought me a house, I met my wife, and while I am currently unemployed, it gave me the skills to better myself and the chance to think about what direction I want my retirement to take.

All it took was a little sweat and perseverance.

You have patience that I will never attain because I'd never work at a place I hate for 10 years.

So what is the deal with the book? Have it in hand yet? What is the hold up exactly?

The comic came in today but UPS was playing stupid games and today the guy knocked once, dropped the package and ran off I'm just thankful the guy packed so well

So what were "the stupid games" that UPS was playing? Are you saying the guy literally DROPPED the package and literally "ran off"?

IS your friend satisfied with the book? Care to share some pics?

The games that UPS was playing was claiming they knocked on the door and no one was there all three times which is bs and finally he can again and kocked once,and literally dropped the package and ran off. What pissed me off most is he said he couldn't understand my sign that said "Knock on door #1" Pics will come tomorrow as I need to ship the comic tomorrow anyway.

Okay, this requires more explanation. UPS is in my neighborhood a lot, and I have never, even in the busiest time of the year, seen a driver run to their truck, with or without a package, so why would they run from your house? Did you actually see him drop the package? Did you actually see him run away? Because if you did, you saw something that most, if not all of the board members have never seen. I could be wrong, and if I am I apologize in advance, but this is starting to appear that you are setting up a scenario where your friend is not happy with the case, possibly because of damage caused by the errant UPS driver, and thereby your deal goes south, but not from any fault of yours. You said that your friends only concern is the case. You can always pay to have the comic recased, but what if there is a defect on the covers that he didn't know about? Are you saying he wouldn't care about that, but would bail on the deal because of a damaged case that is easily replaced?

No I didn't see what the UPS driver did my dad saw and he has no reason to lie to me, we spoke about that and if there was anything like that other then the case it'd be rusty staples. He wouldn't bail on it per say but he would ask the seller for a refund.

There is always manual labor. It pays well, and you have to sweat, but if you want something bad enough, you will sweat. That money you put away to do what your passion is will not be in vain.

It's the unwillingness to buckle down and do something you don't like that sets apart those that succeed with those that don't.

I spent 10 years doing a job in an industry I loathed. I dealt with people that disgusted me.

It bought me a house, I met my wife, and while I am currently unemployed, it gave me the skills to better myself and the chance to think about what direction I want my retirement to take.

:gossip: Not going to happen. OP stated awhile ago that he can't do physical labour - Can't remember the reason might be legit physical issue but don't want to crawl through a million pages.

There is a pattern though, everything is always someone else's fault, from being scammed to crappy employment counselor to horrible bosses, etc., etc., etc.

I don't doubt the OP has real challenges, but the OP has received TONS of kind advice ranging from job prep and search help, even buying advice (start small) and the OP chooses to ignore it and to continue his pursuit of "the big score" while not yet having a secure and independent foundation established for himself nor the knowledge to truly be successful in this.

That is what irks a lot of people. We all want the OP to succeed, just all the signs point to this comic dealing as more of a distraction than a real benefit at this time, but the OP is going to do what the OP is going to do.

I don't blame things on everyone else many of those are my fault but not all of them.

Gabe this road to success has certainly been a most bumpy road. Its time to face reality and understand that while there is no doubt that you love this hobby/business, timing in your life says different. Everyone on these boards at one time or another had to step away from comics and focus on whats important. To each individual it was different. Someone needed a car, or repair. Some had to go to college or pay bills. Some had the challenge of buying a home or just had to pay rent. Understanding what you are good at and what your are challenged with is important. Take a break from these comics and focus on whats real, what puts guaranteed money in your bank account. Flipping books doesnt always add up to a net gain and you can lose money and its just part of it. You cannot afford to lose money, youre in no position to be taking risks or gambling. You are always welcome to watch and learn and keep your finger on the pulse of whats going on, but plaing this game whith real money isnt something you need to be doing. Earn money by working hard, put a little aside each week or month and when the time is right, buy something. The road to success is not a real road we can all walk unfortunatly, some actually skip and run it while some just simply cant get out of the driveway. Your young and that is a big bonus. Take yourself out coach and come back another day.

Chris

I agree the timing isn't the best and I still have many things to work on but I need to find a way to have more then one stream of income because as soon as I leave a job that money dries up quickly, I still need to sell the comics I have left and I told my dad that I wanted to take voice acting classes for about two years and he said it's a stupid idea because there's no guarantee I'd make my money back just like I messed up with college while if I was doing something with the money and invested it I would have more. I'm just confused that every person is giving me different answers I'm not sure what to do...but I do know I need to brush up and my basic skills.

Who is giving you different answers? I'd say 95% of people on this thread have gotten to the point where they are saying give up on flipping comic books and concentrate on finding a full time job. Deliver papers in the morning - go wash dishes during a lunch shift at Fridays - do some data inputting for a temp place at nights - mow lawns in your neighborhood - the list of possible jobs in your area has got to be crazy long if you send all your time looking for ways to make money without flipping comics. Flipping books can be lucrative but also involves a fair amount of risk and times when you will not make any money. Risks and lack of money are things at this time are not a luxury you can afford. If your Dad thinks voice work may not be your thing then ask him to help you find a job and maybe the two of you can get you moving forward.

Yes most give great advice but I have conflicting answers for example I have a job now but I've been told three things: 1.This isn't your thing quit 2. Start small and work your way up 3. Come back later when I have more stability

:gossip: Not going to happen. OP stated awhile ago that he can't do physical labour - Can't remember the reason might be legit physical issue but don't want to crawl through a million pages.

There is a pattern though, everything is always someone else's fault, from being scammed to crappy employment counselor to horrible bosses, etc., etc., etc.

I don't doubt the OP has real challenges, but the OP has received TONS of kind advice ranging from job prep and search help, even buying advice (start small) and the OP chooses to ignore it and to continue his pursuit of "the big score" while not yet having a secure and independent foundation established for himself nor the knowledge to truly be successful in this.

That is what irks a lot of people. We all want the OP to succeed, just all the signs point to this comic dealing as more of a distraction than a real benefit at this time, but the OP is going to do what the OP is going to do.

Yes, I've noticed that trend since OP first posted here. Damaged case, too common these days

I wouldn't say that just lots of things I need to deal with.

So, to be clear, you currently have a job right?

No shame in minimum wage work, but are you pulling decent hours?

How many hours per week would you "guesstimate" that you spend scouring the internet and other venues looking for "deals"?

To be clear I have a job but my hours have been cut so I won't be working there much longer. I never checked how long I search for deals but at least 10 hours a week.

Also, I'm not sure if you look at it this way, but there is an old saying, time is money. Even at minimum wage, those 10 hours per week, spent looking for deals "cost you" about $450 per month.

Oh I know the numbers but I lot of jobs are part time here nothing more.

$11.25 minimum wage in Ontario x 10 hours per week x 4 (roughly) weeks in a month

How many hours per week would you "guesstimate" that you spend scouring the internet and other venues looking for "deals"?

To be clear I have a job but my hours have been cut so I won't be working there much longer. I never checked how long I search for deals but at least 10 hours a week.

Also, I'm not sure if you look at it this way, but there is an old saying, time is money. Even at minimum wage, those 10 hours per week, spent looking for deals "cost you" about $450 per month.

$11.25 minimum wage in Ontario x 10 hours per week x 4 (roughly) weeks in a month

That equation only works if you are passing up making money by spending time online. He is missing out on time spent researching job boards, thinking about ways to make money doing stuff he likes (spending time on the computer) that doesn't involve risks.

Hmmm well I do spend my time looking for deals and I enjoy it.

That equation only works if you are passing up making money by spending time online. He is missing out on time spent researching job boards, thinking about ways to make money doing stuff he likes (spending time on the computer) that doesn't involve risks.

Fair point. Completely agree time would be better spent looking for other work...

I spend 5 hours a week looking for other jobs and I enjoy looking for deals.

Fair point. Completely agree time would be better spent looking for other work...

maybe he's looking while on the job.

No

8 8