• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,068 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Just got this back yesterday. I know the sheer volume of books at CGC must be overwhelming, but...come on. 

Yes, that's inside the slab. I am sure they will reholder it for free. 

IMG_6990.jpeg

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Just got this back yesterday. I know the sheer volume of books at CGC must be overwhelming, but...come on. 

IMG_6990.jpeg

At least it was a cheap book.  

I'm sure they would take extra care with bigger books.... Like ASM 300 for example. 

Just now, KCOComics said:

At least it was a cheap book.  

I'm sure they would take extra care with bigger books.... Like ASM 300 for example. 

That was my thought. I know they'll reholder it, but man, having to send a high value book back and forth across the country again is not comforting. 

:pullhair:

4 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

That was my thought. I know they'll reholder it, but man, having to send a high value book back and forth across the country again is not comforting. 

At least it is positioned correctly so the monster is appearing to eat it :popcorn:

Leave it, or slide a thin sheet of paper down thru the slab. I think I tried it on one of mine, but couldn't reach it as it was in the lower left corner.

8 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I would be feeling the same way!  Any time a big book gets shipped getting it back is a huge relief. That's why I'm almost considering driving a few books down to them. 

I know my private insurance protects me from shipping mishaps, but getting the $$ is a moot point. The comic being lost or damaged is the real concern! 

36 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

From what I can see, it looks like a really nice copy.  Mind if I ask the grade?

22 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

IMG_6990.jpeg

I have the same problem with a slab I received on December 14, 2020, as part of an 18 comic book MSL submission. The piece of plastic is on the bottom left front corner of the slab. I decided to keep it as is in order to not have to send it in for reholder since, despite the comic book being worth substantial money, I though it too much trouble to again ship it to CGC, etc.

1 minute ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I have the same problem with a slab I received on December 14, 2020, as part of an 18 comic book MSL submission. The piece of plastic is on the bottom left front corner of the slab. I decided to keep it as is in order to not have to send it in for reholder since, despite the comic book being worth substantial money, I though it too much trouble to again ship it to CGC, etc.

Oops, "... I thought it too ..."

I can't edit my original post.

38 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I have to send it back. I don't plan on selling the book, but it's like having a Porsche with bird poop on the window. It's all I see. 

There are other issues. The book is trimmed on the top. That's what the previous CGC label said. Now it says it's trimmed on the top and bottom. It's not trimmed on the bottom. I have before and after scans. I put one on top of the other in Photoshop, made the layers translucent and lined up the pixels. The dimensions of the book have not changed one iota.

To me, CGC saying a book is trimmed when it isn't, is effectively CGC trimming the book, as far as diminishing its value. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I have to send it back. I don't plan on selling the book, but it's like having a Porsche with bird poop on the window. It's all I see. 

There are other issues. The book is trimmed on the top. That's what the previous CGC label said. Now it says it's trimmed on the top and bottom. It's not trimmed on the bottom. I have before and after scans. I put one on top of the other in Photoshop, made the layers translucent and lined up the pixels. The dimensions of the book have not changed one iota.

To me, CGC saying a book is trimmed when it isn't, is effectively CGC trimming the book, as far as diminishing its value. 

Yes; my comment of not sending back my comic book was solely meant to commiserate with you concerning a foreign piece of plastic in a slab.

1 hour ago, engelhard said:

i have only had the problem of a little plastic in the cgc case but after going through this thread im thinking the competition may be a better choice for future submissions.... and they give free grading notes

I think I’d rather keep my books raw than send them to the “competition”.

12 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

They're not.

I've sent books to both major players. Both have graded tightly, fairly, and slowly. One company has better cases, the other has better labels (in my opinion).

Haven't sent enough to that other place to get a sense of quality control. 

Have never sent anything to the weird place in Eugene. 

15 hours ago, nines said:

saw this perusing an auction. must have been a tough day. not just the chunk missing from the cover, but a big tick 1/3 up the spine

Oh that is one of the special Wolverine damaged editions, limited to 1 of 1.