• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2021 at 10:15 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

FB_IMG_1610594063675.thumb.jpg.ccc943418099d841cb7a9c8faf18f7b0.jpg

I see something like this and think I don't care if they slab a million books a day. If QC can't catch something as basic as this it is a total failure. Assuming there is some kind of list QC has (I know, I'm making a big leap here) matching the label to the book would be #1 on the list. So the book either did not go through QC or whoever was doing QC should be immediately fired for not doing the most basic part of their job. 

This week i reseave this book back from cgc i ask only a reslab but...there is someting between the two layers of the cgc so it doesnt touch the book but theres like spots of wool or dirt or i dont know but it dont touch the book what shoul i do?does cgc takes them back and reslab for free?? Like silver stain.over the head of batman.

20210131_125104.jpg

Edited by Namtak

On 1/31/2021 at 1:30 PM, Iconic1s said:
On 1/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, wombat said:

I see something like this and think I don't care if they slab a million books a day. If QC can't catch something as basic as this it is a total failure. Assuming there is some kind of list QC has (I know, I'm making a big leap here) matching the label to the book would be #1 on the list. So the book either did not go through QC or whoever was doing QC should be immediately fired for not doing the most basic part of their job. 

It’s the ‘turd in the punch bowl’ analogy. If there is a turd floating in the punch odds are the whole punch is bad.

Yet, we trust them to determine the difference between. 9.6 and 9.8 for example and scour the earth looking for books they might, just might, agree with us to grade accordingly!

Not sure I’d go back to a mechanic that made this type of error working on my car.  Anyways...

Just boxed up my next submission and will ship it off this week.

P.S.  It’s actually quite a genius business model... 1) provide a subjective service, 2) be inconsistent at providing grader notes so it is difficult to question your authority, and then 3) when you do make a mistake you can’t explain your way out of call it a ‘mechanical error.’

Not to be all negative, I will add that, at least from my perspective, CGC has exceeded my expectation every time I have had to speak to a person. Very nice folks working there from what I have seen. 

To make sure I'm following, you wouldn't go back to a mechanic with that type of error (wrong book in the wrong slab), but here you are sending another batch off to CGC (i.e. the mechanic in this analogy)?

12 minutes ago, manetteska said:

To make sure I'm following, you wouldn't go back to a mechanic with that type of error (wrong book in the wrong slab), but here you are sending another batch off to CGC (i.e. the mechanic in this analogy)?

I know this isn't to me or about my post, but the main problem with the analogy is there are many mechanics.  There is only 1 CGC. The others just are not there.  

Which is one of the MAIN problems.  There is nothing forcing their hand. No reason for then to do better.

With all of the issues arising I think we are all getting more and more frustrated that CGC is not correcting these issues. 

Their answer to their trading cards ( instead of staffing up to accommodate the new MASS flood) was raise the prices.  

Which still will not solve the problem.  Just increase their profit margin. :facepalm:

16 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
16 hours ago, manetteska said:

I know this isn't to me or about my post, but the main problem with the analogy is there are many mechanics.  There is only 1 CGC. The others just are not there.  

Which is one of the MAIN problems.  There is nothing forcing their hand. No reason for then to do better.

With all of the issues arising I think we are all getting more and more frustrated that CGC is not correcting these issues. 

Their answer to their trading cards ( instead of staffing up to accommodate the new MASS flood) was raise the prices.  

Which still will not solve the problem.  Just increase their profit margin. :facepalm:

(shrug)

Not my analogy; not my submission.

20 hours ago, manetteska said:

Yes, and therein lies the humor of this. There is nowhere else to go and that is why customers keep coming back after these types of incidents. IMO no competitors are close, even with these problems.

They know we’ll keep coming back no matter what they do, and they are pretty much right.

No matter mechanical errors, newton ring excuses, or absurd TATs, they’ve got us.  They have no incentive to fix these things because we will just complain and point it out all day long while continuing to use their service. 

And yes, sent another batch in yesterday that I don’t expect to see anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Iconic1s said:

Yes, and therein lies the humor of this. There is nowhere else to go and that is why customers keep coming back after these types of incidents. IMO no competitors are close, even with these problems.

They know we’ll keep coming back no matter what they do, and they are pretty much right.

No matter mechanical errors, newton ring excuses, or absurd TATs, they’ve got us.  They have no incentive to fix these things because we will just complain and point it out all day long while continuing to use their service. 

And yes, sent another batch in yesterday that I don’t expect to see anytime soon.

CGC is indeed the only real means of production.

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I've sent a few books to the other place and aside from being equally slow (if not slower) I've found the grading to be fine. The cases seem sturdier and no Newton rings.

Is there really no competitive option? Or is that just the vibe here because we're not allowed to speak of them? 

Only my personal opinion but I think it’s a few things...

1) Maybe the vibe as you said but also...

2) At least for what I collect it seems that the market desires CGC over the competition.  If I did buy a book in another company’s holder I’d only do so (and have done so) just to do a crossover submission on it so I could add it to the CGC Registry, which brings me to...

3) I think CGC has nailed it with the Registry... it really makes you want to finish a set and find books that you might not otherwise worry about in high grade. If I only collected raw books I’d be pretty much done right now with what I want but because of the Registry here I am looking for the last couple CGC 9.8’s I need for my set to be complete.  Seems that once you start down that road it’s (at least for me) hard to stop, which makes you overlook all the annoyances mentioned in this thread. 

Again, this is just my own perspective and what keeps me coming back; my collecting and Registry is super narrow relative to other member’s so maybe they have other opinions. 

11 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

Only my personal opinion but I think it’s a few things...

1) Maybe the vibe as you said but also...

2) At least for what I collect it seems that the market desires CGC over the competition.  If I did buy a book in another company’s holder I’d only do so (and have done so) just to do a crossover submission on it so I could add it to the CGC Registry, which brings me to...

3) I think CGC has nailed it with the Registry... it really makes you want to finish a set and find books that you might not otherwise worry about in high grade. If I only collected raw books I’d be pretty much done right now with what I want but because of the Registry here I am looking for the last couple CGC 9.8’s I need for my set to be complete.  Seems that once you start down that road it’s (at least for me) hard to stop, which makes you overlook all the annoyances mentioned in this thread. 

Again, this is just my own perspective and what keeps me coming back; my collecting and Registry is super narrow relative to other member’s so maybe they have other opinions. 

I agree. Though I just got an email from Metropolis and their featured item is a TOS39 9.2 from the other guys, so maybe that's changing? If so, moving at the speed of a glacier.

I definitely prefer the CGC label. But I don't see CGC improving their turnaround times or quality control without being challenged by someone else.

Edited by MatterEaterLad