• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,074 posts in this topic

Here's another quality issue, something that would be unknown to most of you.

I just got in a comic that was graded 7/27/2021. When I crack it out, I always change out the micro chamber paper. Why, because CGC uses some unbranded paper. I use paper that has the conservation resources watermark. I remove the CGC paper, add my own and add an additional sheet in the center.

In this particular comic, I found the first sheet in the normal spot between the 2nd and 3rd wrap in the front. I flip to the back, and no second sheet to be found. I go through every page and only found the single sheet. 

This is the first time I've found only one sheet.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:28 PM, innocuous said:

Here's another quality issue, something that would be unknown to most of you.

I just got in a comic that was graded 7/27/2021. When I crack it out, I always change out the micro chamber paper. Why, because CGC uses some unbranded paper. I use paper that has the conservation resources watermark. I remove the CGC paper, add my own and add an additional sheet in the center.

In this particular comic, I found the first sheet in the normal spot between the 2nd and 3rd wrap in the front. I flip to the back, and no second sheet to be found. I go through every page and only found the single sheet. 

This is the first time I've found only one sheet.

I've had a few books with only one sheet. Thought that was normal 

On 9/30/2021 at 8:37 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I've had a few books with only one sheet. Thought that was normal 

Maybe the new normal? Since this was the first time I've seen only one sheet, that's when I thought to check the grading date. The book was published 1964.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:54 PM, innocuous said:

Maybe the new normal? Since this was the first time I've seen only one sheet, that's when I thought to check the grading date. The book was published 1964.

No idea honestly. I don't know the protocol when putting paper in, I haven't bothered to remark on how old the books were either. 

Some had two while others only had one.

Just saw another one on YT.

Another 3 book switch, but it wasn't just the wrong labels, the labels were printed wrong.

The serial numbers were with the correct books when they looked them up on the web site.

The video was an unboxing seeing if they got it correct, after the 3rd attempt, and they did.

labels.png

At the risk of sounding like a CGC shill I have to ask:  is it possible that these label mix-ups are due to customers not packing books in the same order as the invoice?

I know when I’ve submitted books the instructions emphasize that point. Is it possible that CGC is running at such a break-neck pace that they’re just adding the label in the order that’s on the invoice without even looking at the book?

Believe me, I’m not trying to make excuses for CGC or “blame the victim”, but these label errors are such obvious goofs that the logical part of me thinks there surely HAS to be some reasonable explanation for this. Otherwise, it just looks like gross incompetence. 

On 10/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Number 6 said:

At the risk of sounding like a CGC shill I have to ask:  is it possible that these label mix-ups are due to customers not packing books in the same order as the invoice?

I know when I’ve submitted books the instructions emphasize that point. Is it possible that CGC is running at such a break-neck pace that they’re just adding the label in the order that’s on the invoice without even looking at the book?

Believe me, I’m not trying to make excuses for CGC or “blame the victim”, but these label errors are such obvious goofs that the logical part of me thinks there surely HAS to be some reasonable explanation for this. Otherwise, it just looks like gross incompetence. 

No.... no... not really

Because the books grades and notes aren't in disarray as well. A grader not knowing what book they are grading and lining up the books in order, is even less likely.

QC or between those stations are obviously getting it mixed up somehow, but it's anyones guess.

I just think of someone miss stacking to bring to the next station is the culprit. When the books get entered into the system before grading, they are double checked for order. To make sure you listed the books with the correct info. That's how the notes of year published and title get sorted; although, have mostly been standard and correct.

In short. It's simply or mostly the label hasn't match the book in the slab, while we assume the label to the correct book is still correct.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, Number 6 said:

In my example above, my friend submitted two books. I'm unsure if they were packaged in the same order as the invoice. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No.... no... not really

Because the books grades and notes aren't in disarray as well. A grader not knowing what book they are grading and lining up the books in order, is even less likely.

QC or between those stations are obviously getting it mixed up somehow, but it's anyones guess.

I just think of someone miss stacking to bring to the next station is the culprit. When the books get entered into the system before grading, they are double checked for order. To make sure you listed the books with the correct info. That's how the notes of year published and title get sorted; although, have mostly been standard and correct.

In short. It's simply or mostly the label hasn't match the book in the slab, while we assume the label to the correct book is still correct.

Lol sorry for too many edits, I'll sit and think for a while

math-hurts-my-brain.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

In my example above, my friend submitted two books. I'm unsure if they were packaged in the same order as the invoice. 

Yeah, I get it. 

I guess I’m just trying to convince myself that when I submit my books I’m not sending them off to Sgt. Shultz

On 10/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

A friend sent in two books and just got them back. 

21949.jpeg.e84f402356da9a3ea934cce00b61eb49.jpeg21948.jpeg.492bed485a86b0e078038a13de7f40a8.jpeg

They seem to goof up like that a lot at least on the daredevil ones they could put brail on the cgc slab(:thatd be epic!:roflmao: