• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

Best I could see on it is 6.0. I had it around 5.0/5.5 personally...

If it is an error, it makes sense that it was going to be a 5.0 and someone hit the 8 by accident as the 8 rests right above the 5 on the 10-key.

I would say human error. But agree that QC should have caught it.

Same here...6.0 at the very top.

Another exercise in fun!...

Guess the grade and then pop the window:

161912.jpg

161911.jpg

161913.jpg

:insane:

I'll be honest...I graded it at a 5.5/6.0 range before looking at the spoiler tag. I don't see what the problem is on the grading for this book - that's the range I would put it, myself. (shrug)

161912.jpg

161911.jpg

161913.jpg

I'll be honest...I graded it at a 5.5/6.0 range before looking at the spoiler tag. I don't see what the problem is on the grading for this book - that's the range I would put it, myself. (shrug)

I would have guessed 5.- 5.5, but a six doesn't shock me, though it feels a bit high. The midrange is generally pretty tough to grade IMO

161912.jpg

161911.jpg

161913.jpg

I'm actually in the same boat, and I'm no CGC apologist. I think they at least fell in the right range here :foryou:

On another day, I could see that book getting a 4.5. The large color-breaking crease on the front cover by itself is enough to downgrade an otherwise-NM comic to 6.0. Add the rather large corner crunch that tears paper at the spine, and you've got a book that is realistically no better than a VG/F, to my way of grading.

On another day, I could see that book getting a 4.5. The large color-breaking crease on the front cover by itself is enough to downgrade an otherwise-NM comic to 6.0. Add the rather large corner crunch that tears paper at the spine, and you've got a book that is realistically no better than a VG/F, to my way of grading.

I've seen 7.0s with a crease like that.

Wally that's terrible, I would not be very happy. A call would be made. 2c

better yet, I have a conference in Orlando in a month, I thinking of driving over and

go talk to some one face to face about this.

seriously over the last four submissions of 15 books there has been at least 1 book

(sometimes more) that was messed up...

That's a seven to fourteen percent failure rate for me alone.

Hell, I have even nicer books that I'm almost afraid to slab because if this and that's just sad.

Honestly I'd be embarrassed if I was part of a company produced second-rate workman ship like this.

The problem that you are experiencing is nearly impossibly to remedy.

They could put something behind the front cover that goes out to the edge of the overhang, but that's complicated

If a comic book has an overhang and the book gets jostled in shipping there is a chance that the overhang is going to bend in the holder. That's what happened to the Surfer #4 and the Avengers #58.

And since they can't prevent the holder from being jostled once it leaves their hands (no amount of bubblewrap can change the laws of physics) the only other option is to not slab the books and reject them.

I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

I haven't. That's what, a five inch color breaker?

When I was submitting a lot of comics and buying a lot of SA slabs, even a much smaller color breaking corner crease would take an otherwise pristine book down to a 7.0.

Regardless, if I'd submitted that comic I'd be astonished and thrilled at how it graded out, and if I'd bought it sight unseen as a 6.0 I'd be sorely disappointed. There's nothing 'fine' about it to me.

When I was submitting a lot of comics and buying a lot of SA slabs, even a much smaller color breaking corner crease would take an otherwise pristine book down to a 7.0.

Regardless, if I'd submitted that comic I'd be astonished and thrilled at how it graded out, and if I'd bought it sight unseen as a 6.0 I'd be sorely disappointed. There's nothing 'fine' about it to me.

Yeah, with that corner smash and the dog eared BRC I'd be dancing in the street if I got a FN grade on this book.

Matter of fact I gotta a couple of key books that have a long crease like this that are raw and are absolute cherry other than that. I figured with that alone it was a 6.0 copy but now maybe it's an 8.5???

(shrug)

Yeah, with that corner smash and the dog eared BRC I'd be dancing in the street if I got a FN grade on this book.

Matter of fact I gotta a couple of key books that have a long crease like this that are raw and are absolute cherry other than that. I figured with that alone it was a 6.0 copy but now maybe it's an 8.5???

(shrug)

I remember it being established that an otherwise NM book with a sub-crease gets hammered down to 5.5