• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Was that an insert?

No, it's the UK reprint title :)

They did 'longways' printing for a while, which was a fun way to read. Two pages per page, side by side:

129i.thumb.jpg.b7c9997edfa6bd81fa770e9dea6798a6.jpg

1292.thumb.jpg.81ea9971de09bd8a95899c603221979e.jpg

Here's the real deal though (sorry for the bad photo)!

2062879840_129CGC9_4WP.thumb.jpg.858fa7446e026a82877ec7db4cc188f1.jpg

...and the bad centering. No CVA stickers here....

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

No, it's the UK reprint title :)

They did 'longways' printing for a while, which was a fun way to read. Two pages per page, side by side:

129i.thumb.jpg.b7c9997edfa6bd81fa770e9dea6798a6.jpg

1292.thumb.jpg.81ea9971de09bd8a95899c603221979e.jpg

Really cool! The only thing I've ever had like that was some Japanese Spidey comics I got when I was little in the early 70's from a Japanese neighbor girl. They also read from back to front (at least that's what she told me). My Japanese was pretty rusty as a 5 yr old so I could only look at the pictures. 

6 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Really cool! The only thing I've ever had like that was some Japanese Spidey comics I got when I was little in the early 70's from a Japanese neighbor girl. They also read from back to front (at least that's what she told me). My Japanese was pretty rusty as a 5 yr old so I could only look at the pictures. 

Ha! A lot of us started out on foreign reprints before discovering the 'real thing'. I hold a lot of affection for them. 

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Ha! A lot of us started out on foreign reprints before discovering the 'real thing'. I hold a lot of affection for them. 

I do remember though that they were original stories and they were black & white. I would love to find one of those just to see it again. I have no idea what I did with those.

7 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I do remember though that they were original stories and they were black & white. I would love to find one of those just to see it again. I have no idea what I did with those.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-Spider-Man-Kobunsha-Marvel-Comics-Issues-1-2-3-5-Japan-1978-Japanese/352318887395?hash=item5207d795e3%3Ag%3AE9cAAOSwm3VavwP5&_nkw=spiderman+japanese+comic&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

2 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Those are cool, but the ones I had were shaped like your pence 129. It may have even just been a Spidey knock off. 

I'll be searching online all night now...:grin:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

I'll be searching online all night now...:grin:

:bigsmile: Good luck! The only thing I can remember was it was probably around 1974 or maybe 75 when I got them. They could have been from anytime before that. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice!And I thought I was all special with my old label 9.2!

No pics of that,but since I was browsing my PB earlier,I have a pink copy pic handy!

$pun.jpg

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Nice!And I thought I was all special with my old label 9.2!

No pics of that,but since I was browsing my PB earlier,I have a pink copy pic handy!

$pun.jpg

Ah, Le Chacal!  Tres good at shooting. Sorry, meant to say he's rubbish at it (I can't say merde). He missed after all. 

Finally back in the 129 club after a foolish decision with my 9.4 a few years ago.... but I feel like I hit the eBay lottery with this copy.  Great price, and presents so well, beautiful colors and perfectly wrapped/centered.  I have 9.2s and 9.4s with more flaws.  Does the date stamp by punishers head really drop the grade that much?!

file.thumb.jpeg.f3d8621551c4a3d133c76e2080e816db.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Laita said:

Finally back in the 129 club after a foolish decision with my 9.4 a few years ago.... but I feel like I hit the eBay lottery with this copy.  Great price, and presents so well, beautiful colors and perfectly wrapped/centered.  I have 9.2s and 9.4s with more flaws.  Does the date stamp by punishers head really drop the grade that much?!

file.thumb.jpeg.f3d8621551c4a3d133c76e2080e816db.jpeg

Date stamps don't usually drop the grade at all I don't think...

That's an awesome copy ;)

42 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Date stamps don't usually drop the grade at all I don't think...

That's an awesome copy ;)

I think writing on the book anywhere front or back is what they hammer. Especially with ink. Though I wonder how graders would consider a date stamp if its large and obscures some artwork?

7 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I think writing on the book anywhere front or back is what they hammer. Especially with ink. Though I wonder how graders would consider a date stamp if its large and obscures some artwork?

I've seen 9.8s with the stamp...  but I'm pretty sure at 8.0 it would no longer affect the grade if it did...

I've heard the answers before but it's been a while lol

So my memory is vague..

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on a decision I’m making on a purchase between two different cgc grades. I have two options:

CGC 7.0 Cream to Off White pages

or

CGC 6.5 White pages (less presentable cover)

The 7.0 has a vibrant clean cover and clean back- beautiful...but cream to off white makes me worry that the book is on its way to deterioation. So maybe the 6.5 is the correct choice. I have read the book many times in the past so my only big concern with pages is deterioration. Tough for me to call it, so if you have a snap decision with reasoning I’d love to hear it. Thanks!

Edited by MTG_comiccollector
Meant off-white

46 minutes ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on a decision I’m making on a purchase between two different cgc grades. I have two options:

CGC 7.0 Cream to Off White pages

or

CGC 6.5 White pages (less presentable cover)

The 7.0 has a vibrant clean cover and clean back- beautiful...but cream to off white makes me worry that the book is on its way to deterioation. So maybe the 6.5 is the correct choice. I have read the book many times in the past so my only big concern with pages is deterioration. Tough for me to call it, so if you have a snap decision with reasoning I’d love to hear it. Thanks!

A lot of variables here. I'd go with your gut. If CTOWP troubles you enough to post here, you may never be happy with it should you choose that one. The page quality will nag at you. If the 6.5 is still nice looking, I'd go with that. After all, a 9.4 will look better than the 7.0 presumably so you have to cut your cloth. Go for the best looking book you can afford with the page quality you seek. Don't buy a book with an aspect that you are troubled by. You'll come to dislike it, and a purchase like this should never involve that.

Unless your intentions are purely financial of course? But I don't think they are. 

Out of interest, the 6.5 is less presentable how? Are the flaws that dramatic that the book doesn't feel like a 6.5 or is it in the right ball park?