• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

So the Clink auction included a 9.6 cgc ow/w selling for $7.1K, which is a very impressive sale...unless you put it side-by-side against the ebay 9.6 white pages which just sold for $8.775K  :whatthe:

I truly think pent up demand will see folks paying $10K+ for a 9.6 with white pages soon.  This book is now on fire across multiple grades

2 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

I don't see why this would affect the demand for a huge key book in perfect condition. If it really bothers the buyer, then they can have it reholdered for what, like $50 after shipping?

You know I’ve seen in the past books have sold for less than they normally would have if the cases were affected like with scratches or the book being in a weird position in the case. The book being tilted possibly implying it’s shifted in the case, potentially causing damage to the book. So that’s my experience and why I was a little surprised. It’s not something you see often, so makes you wonder.

20 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

You know I’ve seen in the past books have sold for less than they normally would have if the cases were affected like with scratches or the book being in a weird position in the case. The book being tilted possibly implying it’s shifted in the case, potentially causing damage to the book. So that’s my experience and why I was a little surprised. It’s not something you see often, so makes you wonder.

Ahhh that makes more sense haha

Ebay used to have so many copies available, but looks like the clink sale has caused a lot of copies to move.  Very few copies available in 9.0 or better...

Current ASM 129 availability on clink as follows:

• There are two PGX 9.8's with ow/w pages.  Roll the dice if you're feeling lucky

• white pages, nice spine centering = $15K obo
  • sig series (Lee), white pages, decent spine centering = $14.95K obo
  • sig series (Lee), ow/w pages, spine off-centered = $12.5K

• ow/w pages, nice spine centering = $5K
  • sig series (Lee & Romita), ow/w pages, decent spine centering = $11,996

• ow/w pages, decent spine centering = $4.8K

• white pages, spine off-centered = $3.85K

7 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

It's not out of the ordinary for cgc to not achieve perfect positioning during the encapsulation process. I've had a number of those slabs where the book is not exactly center. There is never any indication of shipping damage. So that's annoying yea but it doesn't mean the book got tossed around during shipping. I've had a couple of slabs where instead of being slightly crooked the book is almost entirely to the right side of the slab almost touching the edge with the left having empty space. There's something that's visually unacceptable and shouldn't clear quality control at cgc! People have complained about that once or twice. 

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It's not out of the ordinary for cgc to not achieve perfect positioning during the encapsulation process. I've had a number of those slabs where the book is not exactly center. There is never any indication of shipping damage. So that's annoying yea but it doesn't mean the book got tossed around during shipping. I've had a couple of slabs where instead of being slightly crooked the book is almost entirely to the right side of the slab almost touching the edge with the left having empty space. There's something that's visually unacceptable and shouldn't clear quality control at cgc! People have complained about that once or twice. 

Yeah definitely unfortunate, but it happens. Luckily never with any of my books, but don't want to jinx myself here haha.

I swear I saw a 9.2 sell sometime in the last few days on eBay for a little over $5K, but can’t find the sale now in the sold listings 🤷‍♂️. But I now see there’s a 9.4 for $5K best offer so maybe the 9.2 wasn’t legit.

Edited by LDarkseid1

4 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I swear I saw a 9.2 sell sometime in the last few days on eBay for a little over $5K, but can’t find the sale now in the sold listings 🤷‍♂️. But I now see there’s a 9.4 for $5K best offer maybe it wasn’t legit.

I contacted the eBay seller of the 9.4 and asked him for his bottom line on the book.  His responded with “I have had several good offers on this book. Thanks”

I guess I’ll leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I contacted the eBay seller of the 9.4 and asked him for his bottom line on the book.  His responded with “I have had several good offers on this book. Thanks”

I guess I’ll leave it at that.

Oh I hate that! Why can’t people just show a little customer service lol. Would it be that hard to say, “thanks for the inquiry, here’s my best offer”. 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I swear I saw a 9.2 sell sometime in the last few days on eBay for a little over $5K, but can’t find the sale now in the sold listings 🤷‍♂️. But I now see there’s a 9.4 for $5K best offer so maybe the 9.2 wasn’t legit.

The Ebay 9.2 sold yesterday but I'm not seeing anything on GPA. A note on that...the seller there has relisted hot books in the past after being "sold" so just something to keep in mind. The asking price was 5300.

The Ebay 9.4 sold today for a best offer so maybe that price shows up tomorrow on GPA. Ebay doesn't show it. Another Ebay 9.0 sold today for the asking price which was high but nothing super crazy.

Edited by MGsimba77

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

The Ebay 9.2 sold yesterday but I'm not seeing anything on GPA. A note on that...the seller there has relisted hot books in the past after being "sold" so just something to keep in mind. The asking price was 5300.

The Ebay 9.4 sold today for a best offer so maybe that price shows up tomorrow on GPA. Ebay doesn't show it. Another Ebay 9.0 sold today for the asking price which was high but nothing super crazy.

Thanks for the info!

13 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Selling books at 4 figures+ on eBay just to leave 10% on the table is nuts to me. :screwy:

I mean it's partly for the additional buyer/seller protection I'd say, depending on a potential situation happening of course and who's in the right. Granted yeah you could just sell off Ebay and do paypal good/service and only lose 3% with some protection still. However, Ebay also provides a much larger and global market to potentially find your books. Just as auction houses do to a degree, which take 10%. With Ebay I believe it comes out to around 12.5% currently and around 14.5% for international sales. I think I'm off .15 in either direction, but yeah it's actually more than 10% lol.

Anyway, if we're just talking 4 figure books your point definitely has some merit. Once we start talking 5 and 6 figure books obviously completely different ball game since they cap fees at $750, or $250 if you open an ebay store. But you said 4 figure so doesn't apply here.

2 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

The white 9.2 on Clink got snapped up pretty quick today at $5,300.

Not even that nice of a wrap either.

:flipbait:

Imo it looks better than the 9.2 they have up for auction next. There's the pages and the marvel comics banner is lower and a tad more aligned than the auction one. Some people like the banner to be low enough to see enough yellow and webbing on the top edge. The centering is way better than so many of these copies out there. This book is chronically under wrapped or over wrapped or the marvel banner is touching the top edge or this or that or.......

If you look at the front bottom right corner of the auction copy it either looks like overhang or a very small chip? 

But hey it's all in the eye of the beholder. For me the marvel banner is probably more important than having no white on the spine.

Edited by MGsimba77

27 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

But hey it's all in the eye of the beholder. For me the marvel banner is probably more important than having no white on the spine.

I understand. I've been buying these ASMs again for two years because I wanted to have them again, and my eye is what matters.

I mentioned jordy's thread from a couple of years ago the other day, and it was funny to look back at the 9.2 I could have grabbed for $2,200.

It was missing the "approved" in the CCA, and there was enough white on the spine that I just couldn't do it.

Just so anal.