• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

I understand. I've been buying these ASMs again for two years because I wanted to have them again, and my eye is what matters.

I mentioned jordy's thread from a couple of years ago the other day, and it was funny to look back at the 9.2 I could have grabbed for $2,200.

It was missing the "approved" in the CCA, and there was enough white on the spine that I just couldn't do it.

Just so anal.

Yeah it's a balancing act really. Spine vs banner vs PQ...marvel introduced a whole new set of complications for us OCD types with that banner in the bronze age lol

I think both of those 9.2s on Clink are spectacular! They both have very acceptable eye appeal. I'd take either one in a second!

On 2/27/2021 at 3:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think ASM 129 is making up for lost time...while other Bronze keys were increasing in value prior to covid, ASM 129 values actually declined, especially in 9.4-9.8. 

So, are you trying to tell me that Avengers 93 Adams squarebound issue is finally going up in value again after all these long decades.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

I remember when I first started collecting these BA books, Avengers 93 was head and shoulders above ALL of the other BA keys and was the de facto book to chase after back then.  Sadly, not so much now and seems to have been long forgotten by today's new generation of collectors. :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/1/2021 at 10:34 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Current ASM 129 availability on clink as follows:

• There are two PGX 9.8's with ow/w pages.  Roll the dice if you're feeling lucky

Oh, wow.......................................what's the current going rate for a CGC 9.9 graded copy with White pages then for comparison purposes?  lol

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, wow.......................................what's the current going rate for a CGC 9.9 graded copy with White pages then for comparison purposes?  lol

Also, check on 9.2 slight professional color touch, with the fourth wrap missing.

:blush:

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Would you rather own a house or a comic book?

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you trying to tell me that Avengers 93 Adams squarebound issue is finally going up in value again after all these long decades.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

I remember when I first started collecting these BA books, Avengers 93 was head and shoulders above ALL of the other BA keys and was the de facto book to chase after back then.  Sadly, not so much now and seems to have been long forgotten by today's new generation of collectors. :(

Possibly yes. It doesn't sell often in top 2 grades since there's not too many around. I think 9.4s will see a sizable increase. Look at the copy on Clink exchange.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:46 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

there's a 9.8 just listed on ebay for $23K if anyone's interested.

Yeah am curious how long that will last. Sometimes I wonder why people list like that and not just let it go at auction. I think more interest that way, but we'll see.

57 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
On 3/8/2021 at 6:46 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

there's a 9.8 just listed on ebay for $23K if anyone's interested.

Yeah am curious how long that will last. Sometimes I wonder why people list like that and not just let it go at auction. I think more interest that way, but we'll see.

It's not listed anymore. I think maybe they sold it privately. There was an Ebay 9.2 ow/w that sold for 4900 today. Seems in line with recent activity. 

Edited by MGsimba77

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

It's not listed anymore. I think maybe they sold it privately. There was an Ebay 9.2 ow/w that sold for 4900 today. Seems in line with recent activity. 

It’s on the boards now. Some wacko is selling it now lol It’s me. I’m tempted to auction it with an auction house, but know it takes time to get in the system, compensated, etc. I wouldn’t do an auction on eBay with a big book like this. I never have and don’t think I would in the future. 

13 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

It’s on the boards now. Some wacko is selling it now lol It’s me. I’m tempted to auction it with an auction house, but know it takes time to get in the system, compensated, etc. I wouldn’t do an auction on eBay with a big book like this. I never have and don’t think I would in the future. 

Glws! That's a big book! I'd feel bad for you getting rid of it but then that would be a slippery slope wouldnt it  :roflmao:

Lol I do hope you get your asking $$ I'd be tempted to hold all  :)

Hope there are goals involved and the "wheels are in motion!"

I know one other board member who has one, I messaged him to see his thoughts but he hasn't been on the boards in awhile

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Glws! That's a big book! I'd feel bad for you getting rid of it but then that would be a slippery slope wouldnt it  :roflmao:

Lol I do hope you get your asking $$ I'd be tempted to hold all  :)

Hope there are goals involved and the "wheels are in motion!"

I know one other board member who has one, I messaged him to see his thoughts but he hasn't been on the boards in awhile

Hey, thanks man. Well, it will now be out there, but it was house money lol We've been losing them left and right (now up to 8), but I was just saying to my wife how blessed we are to buy in any market, let alone this wicked seller's market lol 

To answer your initial question, there are surely goals involved, and getting a house is the #1. As you know and everyone else here does, it's tough to stay away from the books. They pull you in like the hand in Mario 3 on stage 8, part 2. Behaviorally speaking, we as collectors (especially in the current market) are on a variable ratio schedule of reinforcement. We intermittently look at, buy, and ponder over certain books (our reinforcement) when we look on the forum, ebay, heritage, etc. Especially at an auction, or on a hot key/book thread. We keep refreshing, to see what will come next, and bam, sometimes we hit the I'll take it and get that rush. Something's added and our behavior increases. Sometimes, something is taken away (someone hits the I'll take it or buy now before you) and our behavior still increases as we may hit that refresh button even more. It's all about our history of reinforcement. I'm sorry for the long tangent lol To put it plainly, we love our books!!!!

12 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

Hey, thanks man. Well, it will now be out there, but it was house money lol We've been losing them left and right (now up to 8), but I was just saying to my wife how blessed we are to buy in any market, let alone this wicked seller's market lol 

To answer your initial question, there are surely goals involved, and getting a house is the #1. 

Very cool that a smart hobby purchase is now going to help you and your wife buy a house! It’s why marriage-minded women always prefer comic book collectors (then doctors, then masseurs). What, you didn’t see that study?

I own the twin to this book right now, or else I would be lining up for your sale. Having said that, let me know if you have any other similarly graded Spideys you want to sell. I’ve been trying to fill in ASM 101 - 120 lately, and it’s going about as well as your house hunting. 

Good luck with the sale and finding your new home!

On 3/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, Off Panel said:

Very cool that a smart hobby purchase is now going to help you and your wife buy a house! It’s why marriage-minded women always prefer comic book collectors (then doctors, then masseurs). What, you didn’t see that study?

I own the twin to this book right now, or else I would be lining up for your sale. Having said that, let me know if you have any other similarly graded Spideys you want to sell. I’ve been trying to fill in ASM 101 - 120 lately, and it’s going about as well as your house hunting. 

Good luck with the sale and finding your new home!

I did see that study!!! lol  that’s awesome. 
I wish I still owned some high grades in those numbers. They are out there, but as you know you must be patient. 

I appreciate the kind words. We have another offer out and we’ll find out this weekend. My fingers are crossed!!!!!!