• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The high bid on Heritage was $28K.  Heritage adds a 20% buyer's premium on top of the high bid.  Hence, $28K + 20% of $28K ($5,600) = $33.6K final price.

On top of the $33.6K final price, the buyer will also have to pay sales tax and shipping & insurance, which can add up to quite a bit on this book.

Hope this helps.

Understood... got this confused with the other sale on eBay that was listed at $38k or obo and the obo was also $28K from what I've heard.

32 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Saw that. The 9.0 was a centered white pager but still...

Yup saw that too but big difference between a 9.0 and 9.4 as opposed to an 8.0 and 8.5 say. 

but I have noticed for some reason 9.4s have been soft in general compared to other 129 grades. 

53 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

At first glance, the 9.0 seems to be the superior copy with white pages vs the 9.4’s ow/w pages.  Additionally, the spine centering is so much nicer on the 9.0 copy

Yup.  When I went shopping for mine before the price increase there was not much a difference in price between a 9.6 and a 9.4.   I went with a perfectly centered 9.4 over an off center 9.6.  The white stripe on the left of the book is pretty annoying on that particular book and I think that there are quite a few that see that as the same. 

The 9.0 looks far nicer than that the 9.4 in that auction.  I don't know if page quality comes into play since many realize that your book might be off white to white page on one day and then white pages on a resubmit and vice versa. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yup.  When I went shopping for mine before the price increase there was not much a difference in price between a 9.6 and a 9.4.   I went with a perfectly centered 9.4 over an off center 9.6.  The white stripe on the left of the book is pretty annoying on that particular book and I think that there are quite a few that see that as the same. 

The 9.0 looks far nicer than that the 9.4 in that auction.  I don't know if page quality comes into play since many realize that your book might be off white to white page on one day and then white pages on a resubmit and vice versa. 

I watch ASM 129 very, very closely and I would say the difference between a 9.4 White pages vs OW/W pages is close to $1K now.  

8 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I watch ASM 129 very, very closely and I would say the difference between a 9.4 White pages vs OW/W pages is close to $1K now.  

I’m sure you do but a lot of people don’t care when it comes to the nuance between the two page quality designations.

I dunno.  It seems to me the answer is more straight-forward.  Because the most recent sales are assumed to be the most informative, the 9.4 book likely sold for too little (and the 9.0 book sold where it should have on that date).  In other words, folks didn't realize how much they wanted the 9.4 until it was too late.  I've seen this happen before with other issues that sold within a short period of each other.       

Edited by Pantodude

53 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I dunno.  It seems to me the answer is more straight-forward.  Because the most recent sales are assumed to be the most informative, the 9.4 book likely sold for too little (and the 9.0 book sold where it should have on that date).  In other words, folks didn't realize how much they wanted the 9.4 until it was too late.  I've seen this happen before with other issues that sold within a short period of each other.       

You have a very good point. I think that’s what happened 

Regardless that 9.4 was a steal - it’s not like it’s cream or there is a large white gap

Just to put it in perspective a 7.5 just sold today on eBay for over 3k and 8.5s are inching towards 4K 

Edited by rabidwolf

On 5/9/2021 at 10:09 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I totally understand that some don’t care, but more and more folks do care, hence the growing spread

That is another excellent point.  Although PQ can be subjective, a White pager is going to attract the investment speculator and garner the bigger sales figure in the end.  

On 5/9/2021 at 11:53 AM, Buzzetta said:

I’m sure you do but a lot of people don’t care when it comes to the nuance between the two page quality designations.

No doubt, but there is an increasingly significant segment of buyers, particularly on high dollar books, which use them as investments.  White pages is yet another differentiation for them to define the "best of the best" books.  Anyone in the hobby knows the page quality assignment can vary a bit by grader, but many don't have or pursue that knowledge.  They just rank within grade based on what the "unbiased" 3rd party says the grade is.  If enough books trade hands, it would not surprise me at all to see GPA or another price tracker start to differentiate recent sales on page quality as well.  

Back to the point tho... this one does make me scratch my head.  White pages and centering, IMO, are not enough to make a 9.0 book, essentially 2 grades lower, hop a 9.4.  Someone must have reeeeeally liked the display appeal of that 9.0

1 hour ago, sledgehammer said:

Really nice looking white 9.0 auction on Ebay ended at under $4,800.

Just saw that an OW-W 9.2 #134 auction ended at over $320. :applause:

I've made a lot of bad sell decisions over the years, but deciding to rebuild my 100-150 run (9.0 and up) two years ago is quickly making up for many of them.

asm 100-150 ann 9.jpg

Very nice!  I wish I would have thought to do this with the Byrne run on X-Men.  Was always one of my favorite arcs and just dragged my feet on buying nice copies.  That ship may have sailed now.

13 minutes ago, mcduckz said:

No doubt, but there is an increasingly significant segment of buyers, particularly on high dollar books, which use them as investments.  White pages is yet another differentiation for them to define the "best of the best" books.  Anyone in the hobby knows the page quality assignment can vary a bit by grader, but many don't have or pursue that knowledge.  They just rank within grade based on what the "unbiased" 3rd party says the grade is.  If enough books trade hands, it would not surprise me at all to see GPA or another price tracker start to differentiate recent sales on page quality as well.  

Back to the point tho... this one does make me scratch my head.  White pages and centering, IMO, are not enough to make a 9.0 book, essentially 2 grades lower, hop a 9.4.  Someone must have reeeeeally liked the display appeal of that 9.0

I am have had one book go from slightly brittle to "light tan-off white" and have had many other books go back and forth between OW-W to White and sometimes downgrade from White-Off White on a CPR or a straight resubmit.  When it comes to the OW-W vs White, I truly believe that there is an even more significant number of people are no longer bothered by an OW-W designation especially as there seem to be a lot of variances coming out of CGC. 

I guess it is a we shall see thing. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am have had one book go from slightly brittle to "light tan-off white" and have had many other books go back and forth between OW-W to White and sometimes downgrade from White-Off White on a CPR or a straight resubmit.  When it comes to the OW-W vs White, I truly believe that there is an even more significant number of people are no longer bothered by an OW-W designation especially as there seem to be a lot of variances coming out of CGC. 

I guess it is a we shall see thing. 

Have you also noticed the standards by age vary a lot as well?  Because of the paper quality of the time, a GA OW/W vs a SA OW/W vs a BA OW/W can be very different.  And it would not surprise me in the least if CGC grants more leeway on page quality on older books because of this based on what I've seen.  All that makes it more confusing I think, especially for casual collectors.