THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
5 5

470 posts in this topic

7,787 posts
1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

A lot of variables here. I'd go with your gut. If CTOWP troubles you enough to post here, you may never be happy with it should you choose that one. The page quality will nag at you. If the 6.5 is still nice looking, I'd go with that. After all, a 9.4 will look better than the 7.0 presumably so you have to cut your cloth. Go for the best looking book you can afford with the page quality you seek. Don't buy a book with an aspect that you are troubled by. You'll come to dislike it, and a purchase like this should never involve that.

Unless your intentions are purely financial of course? But I don't think they are. 

Out of interest, the 6.5 is less presentable how? Are the flaws that dramatic that the book doesn't feel like a 6.5 or is it in the right ball park? 

Actually, considering your avatar, definitely go with your gut! 9D6B1DF9-3240-4FAF-9660-FA81854E6158.thumb.jpeg.98e49e28962e331102df618a1db9c2b9.jpeg.1b73140ca1a097febf9c019fe306f35d.jpeg :bigsmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 posts
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Actually, considering your avatar, definitely go with your gut! 9D6B1DF9-3240-4FAF-9660-FA81854E6158.thumb.jpeg.98e49e28962e331102df618a1db9c2b9.jpeg.1b73140ca1a097febf9c019fe306f35d.jpeg :bigsmile:

Ha! Totally. I love the blob (and deathlok!). Thank you guys for your responses!

It is for collection purposes, so it isn’t a value thing. Can’t say I hate value but this is something I will hold for a long time.

The 7.0 is gorgeous, has no spine dents etc and very vivid cover- never seen sun. Corners are sharp. Reputable dealer who says he is only owner and just got slabbed. Looks like 8 or 9. But ya, cream to off white pages. I’ve heard that bad page quality can knock you out of higher numerical grades with cgc, but not sure on this.

6.5 has smaller spine dents and looks like a 6 or 6.5. Maybe someone could argue it’s a 5.5 because looks like it may have the shaken cgc syndrome. But of course, White Pages.

My biggest hurdle is my lack of knowledge with paper quality. Since ‘cream’ is closer to brittle than white, should there be long term concern? With 10-20 years wouldn’t a cream start to get much worse? With the white grade it’s not necessarily about vanity to me, I’m more concerned about deterioation. But I’m not sure on page life (researching for info yesterday, no luck) so I’m really curious on shelf life and also what sort of protection CGC slabs really offer the comic. Thanks for any insight!

Edited by MTG_comiccollector
Poor grammar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,787 posts
14 minutes ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

Ha! Totally. I love the blob (and deathlok!). Thank you guys for your responses!

It is for collection purposes, so it isn’t a value thing. Can’t say I hate value but this is something I will hold for a long time.

The 7.0 is gorgeous, has no spine dents etc and very vivid cover- never seen sun. Corners are sharp. Reputable dealer who says he is only owner and just got slabbed. Looks like 8 or 9. But ya, cream to off white pages. I’ve heard that bad page quality can knock you out of higher numerical grades with cgc, but not sure on this.

6.5 has smaller spine dents and looks like a 6 or 6.5. Maybe someone could argue it’s a 5.5 because looks like it may have the shaken cgc syndrome. But of course, White Pages.

My biggest hurdle is my lack of knowledge with paper quality. Since ‘cream’ is closer to brittle than white, should there be long term concern? With 10-20 years wouldn’t a cream start to get much worse? With the white grade it’s not necessarily about vanity to me, I’m more concerned about deterioation. But I’m not sure on page life (researching for info yesterday, no luck) so I’m really curious on shelf life and also what sort of protection CGC slabs really offer the comic. Thanks for any insight!

I see your position. I'm not an expert on page quality but I can't see an encapsulated book deteriorating that rapidly. Also, CGC make some odd calls on page quality - I have cracked out many books and have found, shall we say, inconsistencies in their assessments. So the CTOWP may not look as creamy as you might expect. 

Now you've described them more, the 7.0 certainly sounds more appealing visually. So its all down to whether you can forget / ignore the page quality. 

Maybe someone else will chip in and say whether a CTOWP today will be a CTOWP in 20 years time if stored correctly. I think it will...

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 posts
7 hours ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on a decision I’m making on a purchase between two different cgc grades. I have two options:

CGC 7.0 Cream to Off White pages

or

CGC 6.5 White pages (less presentable cover)

The 7.0 has a vibrant clean cover and clean back- beautiful...but cream to off white makes me worry that the book is on its way to deterioation. So maybe the 6.5 is the correct choice. I have read the book many times in the past so my only big concern with pages is deterioration. Tough for me to call it, so if you have a snap decision with reasoning I’d love to hear it. Thanks!

I'm a big believer in holding out for the perfect book, lol... if neither book is going to give that 100% satisfied feeling, then keep shopping around, one will eventually pop up that is very presentable and has higher page quality.  but if it's a MUST purchase right now...and you're planning on keeping it slabbed, I'd go with the more presentable of the two.  IMO, a slab that presents better (less damage, better wrap, etc) is the better option and will be more "in demand" should you sell down the road... but if you're just going to crack it open and read it, yeah, might wanna go with the other one  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
727 posts
1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I see your position. I'm not an expert on page quality but I can't see an encapsulated book deteriorating that rapidly. Also, CGC make some odd calls on page quality - I have cracked out many books and have found, shall we say, inconsistencies in their assessments. So the CTOWP may not look as creamy as you might expect. 

Now you've described them more, the 7.0 certainly sounds more appealing visually. So its all down to whether you can forget / ignore the page quality. 

Maybe someone else will chip in and say whether a CTOWP today will be a CTOWP in 20 years time if stored correctly. I think it will...

Good luck!

2 hours ago, MTG_comiccollector said:

My biggest hurdle is my lack of knowledge with paper quality. Since ‘cream’ is closer to brittle than white, should there be long term concern? With 10-20 years wouldn’t a cream start to get much worse? With the white grade it’s not necessarily about vanity to me, I’m more concerned about deterioation. But I’m not sure on page life (researching for info yesterday, no luck) so I’m really curious on shelf life and also what sort of protection CGC slabs really offer the comic. Thanks for any insight!

I recently had bronze age books graded that came back as a cream to off white and another that came back white pages. To be honest the pages on the cream book were mostly in great condition. The only thing I could see was some tanning on the bottom edge of most of the pages. The area of the pages that were tan was so small just the very bottom edge. If I compared how the pages looked on both books I'd say they were ~ 97% the same. Hope that was helpful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 posts

You guys are awesome, thanks for all your perspectives! I’m going to go with the 7. I’m still going to work on digging deeper into page/paper quality re:shelf life. If I find something worth noting I will share!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,308 posts
53 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

IN! 

IMG_20181011_154547.jpg

Wahooo!!!!!

You put quality over quantity to the test!

CONGRATS!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,770 posts
On 10/8/2018 at 12:30 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I recently had bronze age books graded that came back as a cream to off white and another that came back white pages. To be honest the pages on the cream book were mostly in great condition. The only thing I could see was some tanning on the bottom edge of most of the pages. The area of the pages that were tan was so small just the very bottom edge. If I compared how the pages looked on both books I'd say they were ~ 97% the same. Hope that was helpful

I have made the observation that often the pages at or near the centerfold will sometimes be a bit 'darker' than the front pages. I wonder if the PQ assignment is a blend or an assessment of the best/worst . Analogous to the grade assigned to a book with multiple covers. In any case, I would hope a White Page assignment would be consistent throughout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5