• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sayntin said:

That's exactly what it is, black along the edge. But it does bleed through, so can't be removed.  Comic looks great, but is a defintie C-1.

I could handle that. What I can't handle is extensive restoration. But anything in the slight category is ok. But then, even "slight" can include tear seals and pieces added. Not sure where the line is being drawn. I guess I know what book I could handle restored when I see it. Color touch and pieces added to a Bat 1 slight I could deal with easily.

10 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

It also seems like people are throwing wacky prices on these things along with Make An Offer. Knowing the book probably isn't worth that to the fan/collector but might be to someone who is just a speculator.

I think you are absolutely right, and I'm seeing it on other big keys besides ASM 129.

Want a Hulk 181 9.8 for $85,000? (Price is probably a little discounted, since it was graded by a CGC competitor...)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-CBCS-9-8-not-CGC-1st-Full-Appearance-Wolverine-1974-WP/203310602497?hash=item2f56419901:g:sDAAAOSwX4xgVWME

How about a Giant-Size X-Men #1 for $88,888.88?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Size-X-Men-1-CGC-9-8/284170051680?hash=item4229dae060:g:fqEAAOSw-C1gGUSf

Better yet, why not bundle and get them both discounted at $134,999.99?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-Giant-size-X-men-1-Cgc-9-8-WP-Perfect-Centering-Gems/233896505464?hash=item3675517078:g:kAcAAOSwvuhgKY6l

The most recent Giant-Size X-Men sale on GPA is in January for $22,500, but sure, why not ask four times that? These are just stupid prices and no informed collector is going to fall for them.

To your point, I think these sellers are laying these books out for the hedge fund gents who are stumbling over from the stock exchange.

I always felt that this book is undervalued so, unlike other books lately, I am not too scared of the sudden rise in price.

I still can't believe that other 1st appearances in the Bronze Age (Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, etc) are worth more than this book. The Punisher is way more of a cultural icon.

4 hours ago, wolvergeek said:

lol unpressed. Slabs today look so fake with pancaked books. 

Agreed. I have an old ASM that was pressed, and I don't like how flat it looks. It's kind of weird, and you can see through the Amazing logo a little bit. I've noticed that on a lot of pressed books actually. Granted, on some books it's common to have the logo be just a little translucent, but on pressed books it's really obvious.