• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

And there you have it, as well as a couple other grades in this auction. Some very impressive results!

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.09.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.10.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.12.14 PM.png

the 9.0 was really $2400 for the book and $1k for the little sticker above the number. they shoulda stuck one on the 9.6 too, then it woulda been 15k. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

the 9.0 was really $2400 for the book and $1k for the little sticker above the number. they shoulda stuck one on the 9.6 too, then it woulda been 15k. 

You know, I think I may have actually spoke too soon on this 9.0 and it may be more of a deal. It seems 8.0's are now hitting about $3K and 7.5's $2100-$2300. The 9.6 however was solid, surpassing $7K, which I don't believe an auction copy has done. Won't be surprised to see that become a consistently selling $9K-$10K book in the near future though. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see if demand meets the asking prices, which are already there.

4 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

You know, I think I may have actually spoke too soon on this 9.0 and it may be more of a deal. It seems 8.0's are now hitting about $3K and 7.5's $2100-$2300. The 9.6 however was solid, surpassing $7K, which I don't believe an auction copy has done. Won't be surprised to see that become a consistently selling $9K-$10K book in the near future though. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see if demand meets the asking prices, which are already there.

The result for the 9.6 is even more impressive given it has ow/w pages.  If it had white pages, it would have ended close to $8K, I think

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The result for the 9.6 is even more impressive given it has ow/w pages.  If it had white pages, it would have ended close to $8K, I think

Very good point 👌. Between Hulk 181, GSX1 and ASM 129, have definitely noticed perfect white pages can sell for a premium.

Edited by LDarkseid1

6 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

It may be the next Hulk 181 if this keeps up.

36 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

It may be the next Hulk 181 if this keeps up.

Absolutely! At the moment it appears GSX1 has a solid edge there, especially with this insane 9.8 selling in the c-link auction. Already at roughly $28K, and considering it’s like awkwardly positioned in the CGC case lol. Surprised that’s not affecting buyers a bit more, but it does present super well! But yeah, Punisher is just such an awesome character, so the potential feels like it could be there.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It also has that damn "pider man" over-wrap where the S in spider at the bottom overlaps to the spine. It just needed to be a bit more centered for it to be much better. Still a great result!

That 9.8 result is going to be felt as it may reset the market. I don't know if you're going to see too many 9.8s listed for much under 20k. It'll end up bleeding into 9.6, 9.4 9.2 eventually. There's a 9.2 being auctioned tonight on Ebay has a chance at reaching a high.

Ok. I sold my 9.2 in october to buy a GA book with the intention of getting another 129 either 9.2 or 9.0 white ASAP.

A 9.0 White sold on CL a few weeks ago for 2,600. Got outbid. A few days ago the next 9.0 white ends, with a CVA sticker even, this time at 3,400. 

Now 2 days later there is an 8.5 about to end. Its up to just under 3,700. If profanity was allowed here my next few sentences would be chock full of swear words. Who the HECK is bidding this extremely plentiful book up so much?  I swear I think this entire hobby has been infiltrated by lunatics. At this rate 6.5's will be going for 4K come Spring.

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling correction

31 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I hope so, because I own one. :baiting:

One of these days Math Teacher, POW right in the kisser! No good for you seriously. I'm glad for you. Wouldn't happen to have a 9.0 White you'd like to part with would ya? To be clear, sure I'm not thrilled that the moment I sold mine after it stayed pretty much the same price for the previous few years then it went Bat Crazy right after. But whats really got sand in my panties is how this and other Silver and Bronze keys that are plentiful are breaking records literally on a weekly basis. To me it makes no sense considering how available they are, and I have most of them in a pretty good grade too.

I have several theories which are probably wrong and I hope I get in no trouble offering them here.

The Group Theory- There is a group of individuals (or several groups) who are pooling their money together and bidding high (or like theyre high) on everything that moves. They are probably in it for the quick flip. Like Walmarts business model, by big, sell cheap, its all about quantity. 

The Single Person Theory- Its one person. Maybe a guy who just sold a farm for millions, invented an app that locates erect nipples, or who recently found out they are the heir to the 7th Marquess of Hexham is bidding like mad on everything. He wants comics and he's got the money to get them.There is really not too many auctions to bid on them all.

The Conspiracy Theory- Its the C I A. Nuff Said.

I'll leave out the I'm Insane Theory for now.

Comics aren't the only collectibles going through the roof. I believe the reason is that Covid has kept us from spending money on many things we regularly enjoy so we're blowing it on our hobbies.

11 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Ok. I sold my 9.2 in october to buy a GA book with the intention of getting another 129 either 9.2 or 9.0 white ASAP.

A 9.0 White sold on CL a few weeks ago for 2,600. Got outbid. A few days ago the next 9.0 white ends, with a CVA sticker even, this time at 3,400. 

Now 2 days later there is an 8.5 about to end. Its up to just under 3,700. If profanity was allowed here my next few sentences would be chock full of swear words. Who the HECK is bidding this extremely plentiful book up so much?  I swear I think this entire hobby has been infiltrated by lunatics. At this rate 6.5's will be going for 4K come Spring.

I think ASM 129 is making up for lost time...while other Bronze keys were increasing in value prior to covid, ASM 129 values actually declined, especially in 9.4-9.8.  There was an opportunity, for several months, to purchase 9.4's with white pages for under $3K, 9.6's for around $4K, and 9.8's for $12-13K.

Now it appears as if the other Bronze keys continued their upwards price increases, making ASM 129 seem like a relatively good deal in comparison.  So I suspect some of the recent spike in ASM 129 is attributable to 'catch up' to some of the other Bronze keys.

Fabulous centering on that one. For me, I like to see a little yellow between the left edge and the S in the green "Spider-Man" at the bottom, and a little bit of yellow between the right edge and the red exclamation point. As well as a straight blue Marvel banner with the "comics code" rectangle not being cut off at the top. These are the things I look at aesthetically with this book, and yours is damn near perfect in that respect. Nice. 

Both Chaos and silver web have some nice looking examples here. 

Edited by profholt82

On 2/24/2021 at 7:06 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

considering it’s like awkwardly positioned in the CGC case lol. Surprised that’s not affecting buyers a bit more, but it does present super well! 

I don't see why this would affect the demand for a huge key book in perfect condition. If it really bothers the buyer, then they can have it reholdered for what, like $50 after shipping?