• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, Professor Chaos said:

One of these days Math Teacher, POW right in the kisser! No good for you seriously. I'm glad for you. Wouldn't happen to have a 9.0 White you'd like to part with would ya? To be clear, sure I'm not thrilled that the moment I sold mine after it stayed pretty much the same price for the previous few years then it went Bat Crazy right after. But whats really got sand in my panties is how this and other Silver and Bronze keys that are plentiful are breaking records literally on a weekly basis. To me it makes no sense considering how available they are, and I have most of them in a pretty good grade too.

I have several theories which are probably wrong and I hope I get in no trouble offering them here.

The Group Theory- There is a group of individuals (or several groups) who are pooling their money together and bidding high (or like theyre high) on everything that moves. They are probably in it for the quick flip. Like Walmarts business model, by big, sell cheap, its all about quantity. 

The Single Person Theory- Its one person. Maybe a guy who just sold a farm for millions, invented an app that locates erect nipples, or who recently found out they are the heir to the 7th Marquess of Hexham is bidding like mad on everything. He wants comics and he's got the money to get them.There is really not too many auctions to bid on them all.

The Conspiracy Theory- Its the C I A. Nuff Said.

I'll leave out the I'm Insane Theory for now.

If it makes you feel better, the same thing happened to me on MS5 in 9.0 

On 3/12/2021 at 11:25 PM, Off Panel said:

Good luck, man.

When my wife and I were house hunting many years ago we found this 80 year-old bungalow that we absolutely loved. We immediately put an offer on it, only to find out that another buyer had beaten us by an hour. The seller accepted that offer and we saw the house slip through our fingers.

Over the next couple of months, I kept dragging my wife out to look at other houses. Each time we finished touring a new place, I would ask her what she thought, and she would say, "I don't want that house; I want MY house." 

On the one hand, I found that answer a little aggravating. On the other hand, I actually felt exactly the same way.

One day our realtor called us up and said, "Are you guys still interested in that first place? 'Cause the sale fell through and the seller will take your offer if you still want it."

And that is the story of how an old bungalow got filled up with way too many comic books.

(Also, it's the story of how sometimes you get another bite at the apple. Or in your case eight apples? Hang in there.)

I had read this the other day and am now reading it again. It made me smile!!! Thanks man. Yup, the search continues for us, but we’re keeping it positive! 

6 hours ago, BanjerD said:

I resisted the urge to buy an ASM 129 for quite a while. I ended up getting two copies in the last couple weeks, one raw VF- and one slabbed 9.4.  I might need to trade one for a GSX1, because that is another book I have waited too long to obtain. :tonofbricks:

Its tough sledding for purchasing Bronze keys at the moment.  Never know which one is going to pop into the next price stratosphere in this crazy market.

Thinking about selling my ASM 129 as prices are nuts right now.  Not sure how much it is worth, 8.5 with slight resto.

Some people say you subtract 50% for restoration, but then I have heard that it depends on the issue.  Seems like this issue is a top grail, so what would the deduction be on something like this?

Was thinking of putting on EBay for 3K and best offer and see what offers I get since I think 3K is unattainable.

8 hours ago, BanjerD said:

I resisted the urge to buy an ASM 129 for quite a while. I ended up getting two copies in the last couple weeks, one raw VF- and one slabbed 9.4.  I might need to trade one for a GSX1, because that is another book I have waited too long to obtain. :tonofbricks:

Ha! You and me both, man. Last fall I nearly bought a raw GSX1 for 1800. It was about an 8.0, possibly an 8.5 from my visual inspection. Nice, bright white, sexy. My local had just gotten it in, and I figured I'd have a day or two to mull it over. So that night, I did some research, and discussed it with the wife. And it looked like it was priced a bit below market value at that time. She gave me the blessing and I went back the following day to buy it. Lo and behold, they told me it had sold the night before, shortly before closing.

That one hurt for a long time, and I put the book on the back burner. Started looking into buying one a month or two ago, and couldn't believe where the prices have gone. And they seem to just get higher by the day. 

Fortunately, I'm a member of the ASM 129 Society which helps to ease the GSX1 pain. :D

On 3/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, Sayntin said:

Thinking about selling my ASM 129 as prices are nuts right now.  Not sure how much it is worth, 8.5 with slight resto.

Some people say you subtract 50% for restoration, but then I have heard that it depends on the issue.  Seems like this issue is a top grail, so what would the deduction be on something like this?

Was thinking of putting on EBay for 3K and best offer and see what offers I get since I think 3K is unattainable.

"slight resto" is not enough info.

If it is professional, you're in much better shape.

You might be able to have it removed.

On 3/3/2021 at 2:31 PM, MGsimba77 said:
On 3/3/2021 at 10:36 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I swear I saw a 9.2 sell sometime in the last few days on eBay for a little over $5K, but can’t find the sale now in the sold listings 🤷‍♂️. But I now see there’s a 9.4 for $5K best offer so maybe the 9.2 wasn’t legit.

Expand  

The Ebay 9.2 sold yesterday but I'm not seeing anything on GPA. A note on that...the seller there has relisted hot books in the past after being "sold" so just something to keep in mind. The asking price was 5300.

So turns out this 9.2 did actually sell for 5300. It hadn't shown up for a while but It's up now on GPA. It was sold on March 2nd and was a WP. 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

So turns out this 9.2 did actually sell for 5300. It hadn't shown up for a while but It's up now on GPA. It was sold on March 2nd and was a WP. 

Yeah and the last couple have went for I think like $4900 and $4700. So it's selling pretty consistently. I won't be surprised to see ASM 129 rise more.

Edited by LDarkseid1

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah and the last couple have went for I think like $4900 and $4700. So it's selling pretty consistently. I won't be surprised to ASM 129 rise more.

After 2020 it felt like 129 was almost like a tinderbox just waiting for a strong enough wind gust to ignite...the 9.8 Clink auction was like a hundred gale force winds. Goes to show the power of one auction!

On 3/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, Sayntin said:

Check recent sales for restored books on eBay to get a sense for pricing. 

The type of resto is important, so see if you can find one with similar restoration. Even if not in grade, you can see the type of price reduction they got from a blue label.